U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 04:28 AM

4,986 posts, read 2,236,407 times

Advertisements

Some updates from the recent POA meeting.
  • In the last four years, 827 new homes have been built in SJP.
  • Work on the new Woodlands Pavilion has started. It will be 75x50 feet (4x bigger than Waterway) and have attached building with kitchen and rest rooms.
  • Additional parking for the beach club is in the engineering phase with plans to be finished in June for the summer rush.
  • The St James Center, the land scheduled for development around the community center and sales office, will most likely not see much happen until Hwy 211 four lane is complete, a four year project now scheduled to start in January of 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 06:41 AM

76 posts, read 91,678 times
Thanks for the update.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:05 PM

15 posts, read 20,637 times
Try Ernie Crews. Not sure if he builds in St James but he is the best builder in Ocean Ridge Plantation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisanevada View Post
I am a non-resident property owner. My husband and I have been thru two rounds of builder interviews. We have spoken to three of the four you listed. Itís been a while but you should be able to search the forum for my experiences.

Based on round one: Barker Canady builds beautiful custom homes. At the time, we felt they were a bit out of our price range.

Bill Clark and Kent are portfolio builders. That is, if you like what they offer (floor plans, fixtures, etc), you will get a nice home. We liked their floor plans but not what we felt was a limited selection of fixtures and finishes.

This may be TMI but for our second round, we spoke to some of the smaller non-SJPguild builders: CL Smith, southern comfort, Schmid, and True North. For us, these companies were a much better fit. We preferred speaking to the actual builder vs. a salesperson (some of which are a bit slimy).

YMMV

We have not made a firm decision yet. We are holding off on building for now as my retirement date is not until 2021.

Please share your experiences with the forum.

I hope this is helpful.

Lisa

Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 PM

80 posts, read 99,919 times
The Boss and I arrived late this eve at SJP. Will interview 5 builders over the next few days. Will let the Board know our thoughts and impressions.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:46 AM

568 posts, read 941,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
The Boss and I arrived late this eve at SJP. Will interview 5 builders over the next few days. Will let the Board know our thoughts and impressions.
yes, we are anxious to see what you think - we almost went with Ernie Crews ourselves, but we fell in love with Whitney Blair's finishes....

Old 03-24-2018, 09:02 PM

Spent 4 very busy days at SJP interviewing builders and looking at more model and partially built homes than you can shake a stick at. Flying home from Raleigh early tomorrow, and will post a detailed report when I get a chance to catch my breath back home.

We learned a ton.

Steve

Old 03-25-2018, 05:13 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,564,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
Spent 4 very busy days at SJP interviewing builders and looking at more model and partially built homes than you can shake a stick at. Flying home from Raleigh early tomorrow, and will post a detailed report when I get a chance to catch my breath back home.

We learned a ton.

Steve
Looking forward to your report. We talked to one builder (Legacy) and questioned having a wood burning fireplace, and was told "No, we won't do it".....not a deal breaker, but something we would of like to have.....we still have afew years to go

Old 03-25-2018, 09:31 AM

4,986 posts, read 2,236,407 times
Legacy is pretty much a 'lego' builder. Sure you have a lot of options, but if the part you want is not in their box, it cant be done.

There are very few wood fireplaces in SJP. If all the homes had a wood fireplace, the smoke and pollution would be horrid.

I had a wood fire place for 17 years. Buying wood, stacking it, carrying it in, dealing with sawdust, dirt and bugs, cleaning the fire pit, keeping creosote out of the chimney, critters building nests in the chimney, making sure the flu was open or closed ... personally, I'll leave them to the ski resorts and such. I would rather have gas, flip a switch and get instant fire and heat.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:22 PM

OK, this could go very long so I will attempt to give the essentials.

Over 4 days met with 5 builders, toured SJP with our original realtor Robert and spent hours touring model and partially built homes on our own.

In order of our visits:

Legacy Homes by Bill Clark: We are attracted to their Virginia floor plan. Met them at their design center up in Leland. Lucas is a very nice young man, well prepared and knowledgeable. Also toured an existing Virginia model in Compass Pointe.

They are looking at some of our requested modifications and getting us pricing estimates. They are still in the running, and have been very nice to deal with. Indeed, Bill Clark is building the home on the adjacent lot.

Barker & Canady: This was, possibly, a very expensive mistake. Holy smokes, do they build GORGEOUS homes. We saw their Rockport model, another Rockport they just closed upon (8 houses down from our lot) and then looked at 4 other Rockports and variations throughout SJP. Whoever does their interior styling knows what they are doing. The homes just drip with quality and beauty.

The catch is the price. For about a 3100 sq ft home we are looking at about $580K on top of our lot purchase. Jennifer and Tom (Canady) met with us, answered all our questions, and simply could not have been nicer. We would love to build with them, but they are expensive. Worth it, if you can swallow on the cost.

Also had a long discussion about foundations. Most of the builders go slab construction. BnC go with a crawl space. For that sized house, that is an extra $12-15K right there. Their ceilings are higher, their carpentry is more detailed and custom, better fixtures, plumbing, etc.

Kent Homes was next up. Met with Carol, another very nice knowledgeable lady. We were trying to decide between two floorplans, the Jonesport and the Bar Harbor, which is slightly larger but very similar. After considerable analysis and looking at both models in the flesh, the Boss decided she liked the Jonesport better. This came in at a very nice price. But we had to pick an elevation, and that proved very difficult. There are about a dozen of this model build throughout SJP. We did not find any elevation we liked a lot, and we also could not find anything in their choice of 8 "pre-made" elevations that we liked and that fit. In other words, we liked a couple that were French Country, but not really something for a coastal community like SJP, in our opinion. So we loved the floorplan and in interior, loved the pricing ($160K less than the B&C for the same footage), but could not find an elevation we liked.

True Homes, a division of Tribute Homes, was next. Their rep was a very nice young man, Derrick, who is an Airborne Vet and also very knowledgeable. They are a HUGE builder, over 1400 homes per year. They have a section of SJP where they own the land and are building smaller homes exclusively. They have a couple really neat floorplans, but have never built that sized home in SJP. Their pricing is attractive, but additional discussion ruled them out.

They do not install propane tanks. They will lay the gas lines, but then the owner has to line that up with a local company, have them come out, bury the tank and do the hookups, and get the inspection. Meanwhile, goodness knows what is happening with your landscaping where the tank has to be put underground. The Boss asked about shiplap wall covering, "we don't do that". She was pretty stunned.

Bottom line, if you find a turnkey product of theirs, their pricing is lovely, but you aren't going to get to change things. This will not work for us.

So, Friday night, we were still stuck. However, during our tour with Robert we had stopped in at a lovely model build by Hagood Homes. Their rep was Patrick, and although he was busy with another couple while we were their on Thursday, he invited us to come back.

We went back, unscheduled, on Saturday morning. He could not have been a nicer man (see a trend here. All these people were simply excellent.) We loved the model, which was a wee bit small for us, called the Calofogue (sp?). Terrific interior, great use of space.

They are semi-custom. You start with a plan--and they have at least 20, many not on their website--and if you want more footage here, they add it. Uniquely, their chief builder is married to their designer/architect, and she knows what she is doing. They have--in our opinion--far superior exterior elevations than the Kent Homes. For the same footage, they come in about $10K higher, but have spray foam insulation standard which offsets a chunk of that anyways.

Serendipitously, we ran into another couple from South Carolina who have build 7 homes, and she is an interior designer. They went through a similar process, and selected Hagood Homes. They are about halfway through the process, and are very pleased. Their only negatives is that she was not completely happy with the "color palette" for the interior paint choices, and they did not like having to drive up to Raleigh to look at some additional granite choices at a supplier. That was it for issues. Seemed pretty good to us.

We found a floorplan we liked, and as of now they are the front-runners.

In discussing this with my wife on the way home, we both agreed that we would be happy with 4 of these builders building our home. The key is to find a floorplan and exterior you like, and then work from there. If we decide to splurge, we will go with B&C.

We still love SJP and cannot believe we will be down there full time in 15 months or so.

Steve

Old 03-26-2018, 05:35 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,564,572 times
Thanks for the review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina