U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM

907 posts, read 1,534,999 times

Advertisements

Biscman, I am a Dayton grad '76, and I don't have a clue what he said in the post above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM

794 posts, read 1,646,166 times
OK, after a bit of fortification.... courtesy of Mr. Macallan.... I still can't figure out the oven thing..... BUT I will add tidbits from our adventure as they come to me.

So we had dinner at Josephs italian restaurnt on Fish market Road and headed back through Southport and down N. Howe Street for some evening exploration before heading back to the hotel. As we slowly slid our white rental Camry down towards the dock/pier at the end of the street, right in front of the pier, waiting for patrons of the waterfront restaurant whose name sadly escapes me at the moment...... is standing a beautiful example of horseflesh all hooked up to a red carriage complete with blinking lights adorning it and the driver in resplendant, red colonial garb and a black top hat..... offering rides around the waterfront, just like Kramer and Rusty in that Seinfeld episode. So we said to ourselves.... what a quaint, victorian fishing village it really is !

Old 12-15-2010, 05:07 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,976,647 times
Red face My grandmother used to say: You can put cats in the oven but that doesn't make them biscuits.

Leroys Southern Slang

My buddy Phoebe gets a kick out of the good ole Southern slang that I would occasionally let fly. This page is dedicated to her- and who don't like a little Southern talk? I've caught hell from everywhere I've lived- Boston, Denver, Seattle- but some thangs just shouldn't change. This will be in no order- just as I am reminded of them in whatever form or fashion. I'll update as new ones come to mind.

Oh and do I know what I'm talkin' bout? Boy howdy! My kin folk 6 generations ago came down out of the mountains and settled in Spartanburg, SC- the area I currently live in. I've heard stories of the moonshiners in the mountains and watchin' out for the law, people raisin' Cain over the ownership of a chicken coup, you name it. And those were told by relatives about relatives. To say my family came from humble beginnings is an understatement. They would have to come down from the mountains to go shopping in Spartanburg- it was a day journey by horse and buggy and the closest place to go shopping. And from what I understand, some kin folk are still up in them mountains somewheres. Anyway, the only thing I claim could be wrong is spelling. I've heard these expressions all my life, but I've never seen them written anywhere. Many are used today by my immediate family. Some are more from the mouths of grandmas and grandpas. All are regional- what you hear in Charleston may or may not be heard in the Upstate. All are colorful and make me feel right at home. Y'all enjoy!

Tearin' up Jake- making a big ole racket, a lot of noise. 'They must be tearin' up Jake out there!"

Ruckus- a racket or loud noise- "What's all the ruckus about?"

Scarier than a striped haint- very scary. A "haint" is a ghost. "Hainted" is haunted. Striped is 2 syllables- stri-PED. "Without my makeup on, I'm scarier than a striped haint."

Cuter than a sack full o' puppies- very cute. "That youngin' is cuter than a sack full o' puppies."

Egg it on- urge to do something, but mostly in a negative way. Like taunt. Usually if you keep eggin' on, you gonna get somebody riled up. "That dog barks all the time cause you egg it on by wavin' that steak in front of it."

Fit to be tied- angry. "When I wrecked my mom's car, she was fit to be tied."

Madder than a wet hen- very mad.

Fixin'- about. "I'm fixin' to go to the grocery store."

Hunkey Dorey- everything is good. "I'm feelin' hunkey dorey today."

No count- of no account. "That preacher stole money from the church. He's no count."

Out of kilter- out of sorts. "After that wreck I was all out of kilter."

Piddlin'- wasting time. Tarrying. "If you don't quit piddlin', we're gonna miss the picture show."

Reckon- suppose. "I reckon it's time to go home."

What in the tarnation- a polite way of saying "What the hell?" Tarnation is an exclamation and can be used on it's own as a polite way of cursing. My Grandpa, after hitting his thumb with the hammer, screamed, "Tarnation!" or "What in the tarnation is going on here?"

That dog won't hunt- that idea or argument isn't going to work. Or, the person saying it doesn't believe what you're saying. After I broke curfew for the second time and blamed it on my car catching fire, my daddy said to me, "Traci, that dog won't hunt."

Get a whuppin'- spanking. "If you lie to me, you're gonna get a whuppin' with a hickory switch."

Hickory switch- Any small limb from a tree, hickory being preferable because it bends without breaking, used to discipline. "People not from around here may consider a whuppin' with a hickory switch child abuse." (note. Yes, I have experienced it. I didn't act up much after that.)

Yonder- over there. "Your daddy's over yonder at the neighbor's house."

God willin' and the creek don't rise- save a natural disaster, you will do something. I actually said this recently to my boss- He asked, "Traci, are you going to get that project done on time?" I replied, "God willin' and the creek don't rise."

Happier than a pig in sh*t- very happy. "Once that dog got a steak of his own, he was happier than a pig in sh*t"

Colder than a well digger's fanny- very cold. "When the furnace broke, it was colder than a well digger's fanny in the house."

*****er than a three dollar bill- very weird, odd, strange. Note- this is not said in reference to one's sexual orientation. "That woman who wears her winter clothes during June is *****er than a three dollar bill!"

Light in the loafers- gay.

Imagine so- reckon, guess so. Dad asked, "You think it's time to eat just yet?" I replied, "I imagine so."

Pure T- the perfect example of something? Usually negative. "That is a pure t lie!"

I swanee- An exasperation. Pronounced "swun-ee". "He failed that test again? I swanee that boy!!"

Rode hard and put up wet- ugly, or just looking rough. "That woman looks like she's been rode hard and put up wet!"

Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down- ugly. "That man looks like he fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!"

High on the hog- livin' well. "After Susie won the lottery, she was living high on the hog."

high horse- conceited. "I know Susie's got all that money now, but she needs to get off her high horse and talk to us lowly folk again!"

Don't know him from Adam's housecat- have no idea who he is. "Mark? Well I don't know him from Adam's housecat."

Gimme sugar- give me a kiss. "Honey, come over here and give your grandma some sugar."

Catty-wumpus- cockeyed. "Heaven's to Betsy, who hung that picture? It's all catty-wumpus!"

To hell in a handbasket- your behavior is bad or something is going terribly wrong. "Traci, you keep cussin' like that and you're going to hell in a handbasket." or "We were running late, then we had a flat tire, then it started pouring down and it all pretty much went to hell in a handbasket after that."

Rock n Rye- rye whiskey and rock candy dissolved in it. I recently found this one out while over at my grandparents' house. I had a bad cough due to just getting over bronchitis and my Papa said, "Hun, get back there and get you a little swig of Rock n rye. It'll cure what ails ya." Now, because he's using it for medicinary purposes, it's ok. He's still considered a good baptist. If he takes a swig for fun, now that's altogether wrong. Having said that, it doesn't mean you won't hear someone getting a swig of rock n rye for a papercut.

Mad as a hornet- very mad. See fit to be tied.

Just cause a cat has kittens in the oven, that don't make them biscuits- Self explanatory. That don't make it so.

Sore as a risin' - painful. A "risin' " is a bump that is worse than a pimple- a boil would be a risin'. "After pulling up all the carpet in my house, my arms were sore as a risin'! "

Pumpknot- a lump on your body due to injury. "I forgot to close the cabinet door, so when i rose up, I hit my head, and now I've got a pumpknot on my head !" My mom used this recently to describe a lump on her arm after she hit it on something.

Like a chicken with it's head cut off- crazy. "I had so many things to do in such a short time I was runnin' around like a chicken with my head cut off."

Raisin' cain- arguing, yelling. "He got mad as a hornet and started raisin' Cain!"

Poke- a sack or bag. "Put the groceries in a poke."

Sittin' like a bump on a log- sitting around, but usually as in being lazy. "Don't just sit there like a bump on a log, go help your mama put up those groceries!"

Put up- put away. Doesn't matter if you're actually putting them low or high, it's all puttin' up. "You get in there and put up your toys."

Sass- talk back. My mama used to say, "Traci, don't sass me! You put up those toys right now and not another word!"

Bleeding like a stuck pig- bleeding a lot. "I cut my finger and it started bleeding like a stuck pig."

Sam Hill- Polite way of saying "What the hell?" "What in the Sam Hill are you doin'?"

Play purty- a doll or a toy. I was holding my new doll when my granny asked, "Is that a new play purty you got there?"

Nekked as a jaybird- completely nude " 'For I knew it, she done stripped off her clothes and was running around nekked as a jaybird in the backyard!"

Hoss- This is usually a friendly nickname given to a man. I'm not sure if it means more like work horse or boss. You wouldn't call a lazy guy Hoss. It's informal, so you're not going to call your employer Hoss.

Plum tuckered out- Exhausted. Plum on it's on is very. Tuckered is tired. "Bless her heart, she got back from work and went straight to bed. She was just plum tuckered out."

Tan your hide- Spanking. "I started raisin' Cain, an my mama said she was going to tan my hide!"

Hissy fit- always "pitchin'" a hissy fit. There's just no other way to do it. It's a tantrum. "When that youngin' didn't get ice cream, he started pitchin' a hissy fit!"

Great day in the morning- an exclamation. "Great day in the morning! That's the biggest punkin' I ever did see!"

So good it'll make you slap your mama- very good. "That punkin' pie was so good it'd make you slap your mama!"

Goobers- peanuts. "My daddy used to put goobers in his Coca-cola when he was a boy."

Full as a tick- ate too much. "I had to have seconds, and now I'm full as a tick."

Ain't fit- something is not right. It's used in a lot of ways- "Debbie is such a bad cook, anything that comes out of her oven ain't fit to eat."

Sure enough- Really. But it's pronounced like "Shore". Oh, it's also used as in "You're bout to get a hickory switch sure enough."

Spittin' image- Looks just like or acts just like someone else. "Traci is the spittin' image of her daddy."

Finer than frog hair- very fine. Could be used when talking about anything fine in any sense of the word fine.

Don't have the sense god gave a billygoat- the person is an idiot. "That Tom doesn't have the sense God gave a billygoat."

Gettin' it- going. Really gettin' it is going fast. "Once that dog and that squirrel saw each other, man they were really gettin' it across that yard!" Or when giving directions "once you turn right at the ole church, you just keep gettin' it down that road and you'll see the store by and by."

Up n comings- Get what's coming to you. Get what you deserve. Obviously, the "g" isn't pronounced. "He stole from that man? He'll get his up n comings."

Lay a hurtin'- beat you up. "You sass me one more time and I'm gonna lay a hurtin' on ya!"

Bawl your eyes out- sob. "That youngin' fell off his bike and he bawled his eyes out for the next hour."

Hussy- a tramp. "That woman has been with so many fellas, she ain't nuttin' but a hussy!"

Good for nothing- just as it sounds. Often used with no count. "That fella is a no count good for nothing. Don't you go hanging round his type."

Fetch me- Get something for me, though we don't use it just for dogs. "Grandma asked me to fetch her glasses for her."

Sugar tit- pacifier. Sugar Tit is actually a town near Woodruff, SC as well. "Grandpa, fetch that baby a sugar tit."

Boy howdy- an exclamation. Also used to answer someone if you fully agree with them. "Boy howdy that was some good eatin'!! " or Uncle Bob asked, "Didja see the way that dog was gettin it after that squirrel? He was raisin' Cain at that little fella!" Uncle Joe responded, "Boy Howdy!"

Slicker than snot- something's neat, cool. Sometimes it's "slicker than snot on a doorknob". "That new Ford truck is slicker than snot!"

Raining like a cow pissin on a flat rock- raining hard. Self explanatory. Thanks Daniela!

Flit and flitterin'- darting around energetically but seemingly aimlessly. The way a butterfly flies is first thing in my mind. or an overly excited child. "Look at that youngin' flit and flittering around!"

Flat as a flitter- really flat. This one my mom says a lot. I asked her about it one day, as far as origin, as she didn't have an answer- again, just something she's always heard. I did look it up and saw "flat as a fritter" used along the same lines as "flat as a pancake". This may just be a bastardization on the original. I don't know- email me if you do or if you've ever heard that before?

Light- a command. Sit still. "Child quit flit and flitterin' around- light somewhere!"

Like white on rice- "Next thing I know, that dog was on that squirrel like white on rice!"

So stubborn you'd argue with a sign board and throw rocks at it- now that's damn stubborn!

Stubborn as a mule- very stubborn."I swanee that boy is as stubborn as a mule!"

On your lonesome- By yourself, alone. "Look at that poor fella over yonder all on his lonesome."

foreigner- Now this one completely depends. If we ain't got no qualms with ya, a foreigner is anyone from west of the Mississippi or north of the Mason-Dixon. We ain't got qualms, but we don't like ya nonetheless. If you rile up the locals, a foreigner could be from the next town over. Southern communities are very tight knit, so if you **** off one, you **** off all, and then you're a damned foreigner.

Carry a pint for snakebites- This one my Dad just told me. The joke being he'll carry a pint (of liquor) with him in case of a snake bite and he'll carry a snake in the other pocket. The guy's a lush.

Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs- self explanatory.

Skin ya alive- a whuppin'. "If you drag your finger through the icing of that fresh cake, i'll skin you alive."

Jerk a knot in your butt- a whuppin'. I've also heard jerk a knot in your head.

Haven't seen hide nor hair of 'em.- haven't seen someone. "When the law came lookin' for Uncle Joe, I told them I hadn't seen hide nor hair of 'em."

Cooter- a turtle. You hear me? A TURTLE. Get your minds out of the gutter. There's even a festival here in SC called Cooter Fest. - God Bless it!

God Bless her/him/it/them- The only way I can explain this is it's a little repentance in a sentence after you've said something not exactly positive about something or somebody. We here in the South tell it like it is, but we don't want to go to hell in a handbasket over the truth. The God Bless__ seems to lessen the blow somehow. "That Ted doesn't have the sense God gave a billy goat- God bless him." Also heard as "God love him/her/it/them"

Sweatin' like a ***** in church- In June, when it's in the 90's here and 100% humidity, it's difficult NOT to sweat like a ***** in church!

bridle your tongue!- Better watch yourself, now.

scootin on down the road- a good Southerner rarely just drives down the road! How boring!

never offend, 'cause you never know who's gonna give you your last drink of water- Good advice!

SPECIAL SECTION! FOOD!

Fish camp- seafood restaurant, Southern style. Usually on the menu will be fried flounder, fried catfish, fish stew, fried shrimp and sometimes you can still get fried frogs legs as a main course. If you ain't up for fish, calabash chicken is an option. The sides will always be a baked tater or fries, salad or cole slaw, and hush puppies. Of course, your beverage is iced tea- and if you don't want it sweet, you order unsweetened ice tea. Of course, then, everyone will begin to wonder if you're truly a Southerner. If you're dieting, we'll let you slide getting unsweetened iced tea, then putting Sweet N' Low in it. Of course, if you're dieting and at a fish camp, something went wrong somewhere or you ain't got the sense God gave a billy goat.

Chitlins- we don't call them chitterlings- If you don't know what these are, look it up. We even have the Salley Chitlin Strut in SC. If you've never been and are brave enough to go, I'll give you this fair warning: the smell.

Poke Sallet- It's a weed, and yes we eat it. And there's a festival here in SC somewhere, but I'm not finding a link to it.

Okra- It's fried. It's always fried. And, like all our good Southern foods, it has it's own festival. Irmo's Okra Strut

Tea- Yes, we like a little tea with our sugar. Iced, always. The best tea is at the Beacon. The dairy bar is so good it'll make you slap your mama.

Pecan Pie- It don't matter where you're going or for what occasion- just bring one. I have a pecan tree out back that I had neglected to get the pecans from- some stranger with a bucket gladly helped me out one morning about 4am. They're worth more than gold to us.

Catfish- It better be fried or in a stew. And we used to have a festival, but I'm not currently finding a link.

Grits- We eat them a lot. I'm not a fan of hominy grits, it is always plain ground corn grits at my house. Surprise! We have a festival! Grits festival And sometimes, we ARE them!

Sweet onion- Vidalia onions. Don't use any other kind.

Banana Pudding- Honey, if you ain't had banana puddin' in the South, you just ain't had banana puddin'!

Peaches- They're everywhere. A special treat to me is Granny Doris' Homemade Peach Ice Cream. Thankfully, it's sold just down the road.

Chicken and Dumplings- God's own food. Sometimes Daddies nickname their baby girls Dumplin'. You may or may not know someone like that.

Did I miss one? Email me!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:26 AM

Them sure is some sweet sayins'.......

Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 AM

Vernacular outside the "GATES", You will not hear this when you enter the GATES of St James.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM

224 posts, read 432,316 times
Biscman:
Been trying to learn to speak "Southern" since our move from Yankee Illinois for past few years and this here learn'en guide will be a heapen help. Now maybe I can understand them there Carolina folks.
Tbill

Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,344,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Did I miss one? Email me!

i use or recognize a most of those, but you're right, a lot of that is hill talk.

"Bo" is slang, like dude, man, or bud. you hear it occasionally across the eastern carolinas.

"cats in the oven ain't biscuits" is a way of saying that you aren't going to magically start living that aforementioned "Carolina lifestyle" simply by moving down here.

Last edited by le roi; 12-15-2010 at 07:49 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 AM

I learn something every day.

God Bless America.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 AM

And here I was thinkin' that "biscman" was short for "biscuitman".... I guess I'm still on that learnin'curve !

Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Thats ok "BO"

The south shall rise again!!

Yehaw!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina