U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-02-2018, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Southport, NC
153 posts, read 146,753 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

Can I get an update on new construction work, namely:

1. Pavilion at Seaside, is/are the building(s) mostly completed? Any targets mentioned for opening?

2. Oceanic, is it open between Seaside and Reserve?

3. Has any new work been done on the connector road between the Oceanic traffic circle and 211? Specifically, Im wondering if they will realign this connector so that traffic could cross 211 into the Mirasol shopping center(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2018, 04:10 AM
 
4,987 posts, read 2,238,522 times
Reputation: 7155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
Can I get an update on new construction work, namely:

1. Pavilion at Seaside, is/are the building(s) mostly completed? Any targets mentioned for opening?

2. Oceanic, is it open between Seaside and Reserve?

3. Has any new work been done on the connector road between the Oceanic traffic circle and 211? Specifically, Im wondering if they will realign this connector so that traffic could cross 211 into the Mirasol shopping center(s).
1 - The building is under construction and some dates for use have been reserved. I am not sure of exact completion date but most likely in the next few months.

2 - yes

3 - This connector will probably not be done until the widening of 211 underway or complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 01:46 PM
 
80 posts, read 100,194 times
Reputation: 41
For those of you living in SJP with screened in porches, do you catch a breeze on it? Is there a prevailing wind? Does everyone put fans on their porches?

Trying to decide in our house plans if we should have two sides open and screened to allow some cross-ventilation, or just open on the back of the house only.

Thanks for input!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 02:15 PM
 
6,800 posts, read 4,546,535 times
Reputation: 5345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
For those of you living in SJP with screened in porches, do you catch a breeze on it? Is there a prevailing wind? Does everyone put fans on their porches?

Trying to decide in our house plans if we should have two sides open and screened to allow some cross-ventilation, or just open on the back of the house only.

Thanks for input!

Steve
Prevailing wind direction is from the southwest. How much breeze your porch experiences depends on many factors, such as the orientation of your open sides, location and size of trees and landscaping, presence of adjoining structures, etc..

Pretty much everyone has a ceiling fan (or two).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 05:21 PM
 
80 posts, read 100,194 times
Reputation: 41
That is helpful. We are oriented to the north in the backyard, to hold down the temps.

Sounds like fans in our future!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 06:47 AM
 
4,987 posts, read 2,238,522 times
Reputation: 7155
Its not unusual to get an off shore breeze (from the ocean) in the evening. Its nice in that it helps cool a bit in the summer and it keeps mosquitoes down.

Fans on the porches definitely help in both categories above, especially on those still evenings when the wind refuses to cooperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2018, 04:11 PM
 
76 posts, read 91,910 times
Reputation: 31
Is the best orientation for screened porch facing east to avoid afternoon sun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2018, 07:41 AM
 
4,987 posts, read 2,238,522 times
Reputation: 7155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel79 View Post
Is the best orientation for screened porch facing east to avoid afternoon sun?
There are variables such as the number of screened walls, shade trees, how exposed the porch is, etc but generally, facing east or west you will probably still get some midday sun from the south. Obviously if the porch is on the west side you will get morning shade and if it is on the east side you will get evening shade. If it is on the south side you probably will not get much shade at all.


It is an extra expense but you can get sun shades that roll up and down inside the screens or even a power awning on the outside of the house. Just be aware that an awning requires POA/ACC review.


Due to the amount of pine pollen in the spring and the amount of porch use you intend to get you may want to consider enclosing the area either with vinyl (3 season) or glass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 AM
 
76 posts, read 91,910 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
There are variables such as the number of screened walls, shade trees, how exposed the porch is, etc but generally, facing east or west you will probably still get some midday sun from the south. Obviously if the porch is on the west side you will get morning shade and if it is on the east side you will get evening shade. If it is on the south side you probably will not get much shade at all.


It is an extra expense but you can get sun shades that roll up and down inside the screens or even a power awning on the outside of the house. Just be aware that an awning requires POA/ACC review.


Due to the amount of pine pollen in the spring and the amount of porch use you intend to get you may want to consider enclosing the area either with vinyl (3 season) or glass.
Thanks so much. A few things to consider. We arrive in Oak Island this Tuesday and will be with realtor this Thursday and Friday in SJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2018, 10:22 AM
 
76 posts, read 91,910 times
Reputation: 31
Any experience with Tribute Homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top