U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 06:56 AM

67 posts, read 75,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mppeng1 View Post
My wife and I bought property in the woodlands section of St. James Plantation. we are planning on building a house with a 2nd story balcony. We were told that we did not need to screen in the porch. Is this true?
Depends on how you like to use the porch. Mosquitos and other bugs will eat you up early morning and from dusk onwards. Basically unusable other than during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 07:36 AM

783 posts, read 1,598,773 times
We've used the Mosquito Squad https://wilmington.mosquitosquad.com/ for three years now .... result, no mosquitos for three years now.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:32 PM

108 posts, read 199,147 times
Was that a friend that told you that you didn't need a screened in room?

Ron W.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Was that a friend that told you that you didn't need a screened in room?

Ron W.
I should have been more specific. It is pertaining to a 2nd floor balcony. It was a builder.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:32 PM

If you have a main floor screened in patio agree the balcony would not need to be screened. Really depends on how you plan on using the space.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:21 AM

13 posts, read 7,573 times
I have heard that the mosquitoes don't bother you if you are more than 8 feet off the ground on a deck/balcony. But then again I have never seen a house with only screens on the first floor windows!! Maybe someone with more scientific knowledge will chime in.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:06 AM

108 posts, read 199,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgyver View Post
I have heard that the mosquitoes don't bother you if you are more than 8 feet off the ground on a deck/balcony. But then again I have never seen a house with only screens on the first floor windows!! Maybe someone with more scientific knowledge will chime in.
I live close to St James (Oak Island) and have three balconies one on each level and can say that the second floor is not immune to mosquitos or other flying insects, third floor is somewhat safer.

Ron W.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:53 AM

My deck is 14 feet above ground and they eat me alive.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:06 AM

783 posts, read 1,598,773 times
I dunno .... we live in St James too, I built our home with a large pool on the patio, directly on a large pond, surrounded in front and back by woods with an open second story porch / deck facing the pond and our property never has mosquitos at any time of day, we hang out upstairs and on the ground level all the time with friends for hours ..... and my wife is a TRUE mosquito magnet ..... it's absolutely due to the Mosquito Squad, we have used them for four years ..... https://wilmington.mosquitosquad.com/.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:25 PM

75 posts, read 85,406 times
Default Fiber Optic

What is the status on fiber optic availability in SJP? Looks like ATMC and ATT are both offering service, but only partially for the neighborhood?

We are building in the newer section of Moss Hammock Wynd, about a block or so from the new Wellness Center.

Thanks for any info!

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina