U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM

794 posts, read 1,648,792 times

Advertisements

Yehaw ????? As I recall... wasn't that a TV show at one time ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM

909 posts, read 1,537,626 times
Thought of two questions Stoney:

How was the real estate person. I know you "broke bread" with him but just wanted to get a feel for the level of professionalism.

What is the status of prices there? My feeling is flat for the foreseable future but what was the word on the scene?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 PM

The realtor that I hooked up with is a very nice fellow. About 62 yrs old, from Long Island, lives in a very nice home on the golf course, near the marina for approx 8 years, knows just about everyone, just about everyone knows him, all of the residents we spoke with all speak very highly of him. Very knowledgeable IMHO, he knows just about everything about the place and the entire area. Took us all around the area on a grand tour.... would have no problem recommending him. The prices are very much down right now as they are in all of the areas we visited. There are many, many good opportunities for lots and existing homes...... many foreclosures/short sale opportunities for both. He and everyone we spoke with don't think the prices will be going back up any time soon.... I agree.... I think it's going to be like this for s few years yet.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 PM

PS: As we are all "guessing" and nobody really can predict with any accuracy... one thing for sure is that the markets "down there" are the secondary markets.... they will come back last, after all the major markets, when people cannot retire up here, they cannot go down there, when they cannot sell up here, they cannot buy down there... therefore IMHO, "down there" will be a better "buy" and susceptable to lower offers, etc for much longer than the major markets where the buyers are coming from..... just my thought though.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:13 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,979,571 times
Hey Stoney,

Reason i ask is I have been told the guys who work for St James really try to push "lots" versus Resales. Plantation Properties guys, i have spoken to a few, only show you what you want to see but don't necessary just focus on lots.

I agree about the prices now being at a great time to buy. Hope they stayy somewhat the same in 3 years. Of course i have to see my double wide in Tinton falls first.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-16-2014 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM

475 posts, read 492,182 times
I believe that the St James agents push "lots" because they have exclusivity on new lots.
All other agents are able to sell resales - both lots and houses. Stoney was your agent Bill C.?
He was a great agent but couldn't use him on a new lot.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Well.... no it was not "Bill C.", don't know who that is. My guy is an agent from an outside real estate agency, they can sell in all the plantations ( don't want to give his name and number on the forum, I believe it's against the rules and don't want to get kicked off, send me a private mesage and I'll give it ). As far as the St James Plantations' employees being the only ones that can sell the "new" lots from the company, I'm not sure if that is 100% true, you may be right, I'm just not sure, I will contact my guy and ask, that was not the impression I got though... but I will find out for sure.

I chose NOT to work with a company/St James employee, they cannot and won't show the area and as someone just said, they "push" the new company lots and I'm sure they get a spiff for selling them, there are many deals, lots, houses that "they" may or may not show for these reasons.... but "maybe" I'm wrong.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:23 PM

128 posts, read 435,970 times
There is a substantial amount of foreclosure lots in St James Plantation right now especially in the Preserve section. It's certainly not a bad time to purchase a lot as prices are depressed. There are descent deals on existing homes also. I imagine property values will continue to decline slightly over the next year or so until the economy improves but probably not more than 5-10 percent.

A word to the wise. Most of the time when I've had "value issues" with a property in St James Plantation it's usually a St James Properties listing and almost always a new construction home.

You didn't hear this from me and I was never here.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:43 PM

As I am almost 58 years of old age... and beginning to forget things.... I remember someone asking about the $15K initiation fee and how it works. I asked about it in detail and I will attempt to give my understanding of it.

Firstly, all of the restaurants ( EXCEPT for the new/under construction "Reserve" Club, it is totally private for residents who have signature memberships ) are able to be accessed/used by "outsiders" / non-residents. It's kind of out of the way for them to come into the plantation for dinner but they say it's about 5+% of their business, and helps the revenue a bit.

Secondly, as far as golfing by outsiders, it is my understanding that yes outsiders can/do play golf, they cannot reserve tee times, can only call the day of and if a slot is available they can come in and play for the fee They say it is a very small percentage of the play.

The $15K is the initiation fee to enable you to become a social, social tennis, or full golf member ( different levels of fees apply ). These memberships allow you to join the golf association, play in association events, shotguns, member outings, events, etc. It also allows you to use the facilities, pools, excercise facility.

BTW, when we first got there to the gate, we told the guard that we were going in to have lunch at Tommy Thompsons, he would not let us in, we then told him we were meeting our realtor at the restaurant for lunch, still no entry, he said to call the realtor and have him call the gate. Then we "remembered" that the realtor had pre-arranged for a guest pass to be at the gate, the guard looked and found it and away we went. So they ARE pretty strict about entry. Also, boaters can enter the marina from the waterway and have lunch and get gas, a bit confusing.

So I don't exactly know how they handle allowing outsiders in to the restaurants..... maybe they need reservations, I don't exactly know.... a bit confusing.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM

OK, I am informed by my realtor that the "standard line" from St James company agents is that they are the only ones that can sell those "new" lots.... but he says that in reality, if I wanted to look at and/or purchase one of those lots, ( which are usually overpriced anyway, "he said" ) the company will cooperate with my agent.... I guess just like everything else, a sale is a sale and that IS what St james wants to do... SELL a lot... and money is money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina