U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2019, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Shelton, CT
10 posts, read 17,794 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Sooner View Post
For those of you who went the new construction route when moving to St. James, I'd be interested in learning if you decided on your lot purchase first or picked your flr plan/builder first, then looked for land that best accommodated your plan? We are probably 18 to 24 months away from a move. Any suggestions or guidance that you can provide regarding the new construction process, based on your own experiences, would be appreciated.
We actually did the process in parallel. We saw a builder's model home which happened to be on a pond and we fell in love with both the house and the setting. We looked at pond lots(resale) until we found one that we really liked and then worked with the builder(Logan) to make sure that the house would fit on the lot in the optimal orientation. We had to apply to the POA for a small variance to the rear setback and it was granted. We then finalized the purchase of the lot, and three years later built the house. Can't wait to be residents when we move down this Fall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2019, 03:43 PM
 
70 posts, read 76,994 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Whats your lot elevation and what is the elevation of the nearest floodplain? How does the elevation of your lot compare to neighboring lots? Where does the water flow around your lot? Are there any ditches to carry water around your lot? Those are the issues to consider.
Great questions and I donít know the first two. Recommendation on where to find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 04:11 PM
 
6,775 posts, read 4,047,419 times
Reputation: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel79 View Post
Great questions and I donít know the first two. Recommendation on where to find?
Flood zone maps can be accessed here: https://flood.nc.gov/ncflood/

Elevations can be found here: https://www.whatismyelevation.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 05:53 PM
 
70 posts, read 76,994 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Flood zone maps can be accessed here: https://flood.nc.gov/ncflood/

Elevations can be found here: https://www.whatismyelevation.com/
Thanks so much. 23 feet and Zone X (Minimal). There is a small pond three lots away. All lots around are basically the same elevation. I can’t tell an elevation difference between any lots close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2019, 07:32 AM
 
4,720 posts, read 2,069,305 times
Reputation: 6810
Moisture is a big issue in SJP. SJP used to be a swamp and its close to the ocean so the water table is high. All the ponds are there to give water somewhere to go in heavy rains which are not uncommon. Crawl spaces are notorious for mold and mildew as are other damp spaces like bathrooms and showers. A few lots are in low areas and can hold water for a week or more after heavy rains. Water ponds frequently on roads and other areas during rain storms. Most of SJP is in a flood plane and unless you are paying cash for everything, flood insurance will be required.

Have said all that, SJP is still a great place to live and all obstacles can be overcome. Some solutions to 'the wet' are better than others and some solutions are pricey.


Do your research, be knowledgeable and make good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2019, 08:12 AM
 
6,775 posts, read 4,047,419 times
Reputation: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Moisture is a big issue in SJP. SJP used to be a swamp and its close to the ocean so the water table is high. All the ponds are there to give water somewhere to go in heavy rains which are not uncommon. Crawl spaces are notorious for mold and mildew as are other damp spaces like bathrooms and showers. A few lots are in low areas and can hold water for a week or more after heavy rains. Water ponds frequently on roads and other areas during rain storms. Most of SJP is in a flood plane and unless you are paying cash for everything, flood insurance will be required.
Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but if "most" means more than 50%, then that statement is not correct. Probably 20% or so of the land area is in a flood zone, primarily around the Founder's Club, Beaver Creek Road and, of course, the areas in immediate proximity to the ICW. Areas around the Member's Club, Reserve Club and over towards Middleton Blvd. are not in a flood zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 10:21 AM
 
70 posts, read 76,994 times
Reputation: 31
After losing greens on several courses last winter are they using tarps below 40 degrees this winter? Last time I was down it was almost 60 degrees and of course they were not covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Southport NC
20 posts, read 20,376 times
Reputation: 25
Yes, Troon ordered and received frost covers for all 81 holes. They used them 2 or 3 weeks ago for 2 nights when temps were down to mid 20's. Because of the labor, they will not put down one afternoon and remove next morning. They will check weather predictions and keep covered for the cold snap, could be 2-3 days probably at most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 04:51 PM
 
70 posts, read 76,994 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysteve661 View Post
Yes, Troon ordered and received frost covers for all 81 holes. They used them 2 or 3 weeks ago for 2 nights when temps were down to mid 20's. Because of the labor, they will not put down one afternoon and remove next morning. They will check weather predictions and keep covered for the cold snap, could be 2-3 days probably at most.
Awesome, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 PM
 
75 posts, read 87,418 times
Reputation: 36
Pending completion of our home build in SJP, my wife and I are exploring renting a home in SJP in the July-early August time frame for 4-6 weeks.

If anyone knows of something available, please PM me.

Thanks!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top