U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,953 times

Advertisements

Greetings:

We purchase our resale lot a few months ago and plan to move in 2-3 years. We are in the process of interviewing builders, strongly considering Logan, Kent and Hagood. Custom builders are just not in our budget.
If anyone has any insight into any of these builders, good, bad or ugly I would greatly appreciate the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:15 AM

75 posts, read 89,598 times
My wife and I just went through the same process, and here are our 2 cents.

Logan: You get a lot of square footage for your money, but they are a bit more cookie-cutter than the other two listed. If you like one of their models as-is, you get a lot of value. But they wont change things. For example, they "don't do shiplap".

Kent: Very nice. We just could not find a front elevation that we liked.

Hagood: We are building with Hagood. Patrick is a good salesman, and honest. We took an existing plan and HEAVILY modified it for what we wanted. No problems with that. An example of honesty: Our lot backs up to a wetlands area, and it has been raining a ton the last year raising the water table unusually high. Patrick warned us ahead of time that we might need additional engineering for our footings when they broke ground, and gave us a price range if that was necessary. That proved to be correct, and the additional charge was just under the range quoted.

I believe all 3 will build you a lovely home, and it will come down to some personal preferences. We are the 5th Hagood home in a stretch of about a half-block. We interviewed all the other neighbors about their experiences with Hagood. None of them claimed they were perfect, but all came out of the process well satisfied, especially since Hagood comes out a year later and fixes anything and everything that has emerged during the first year of home ownership.

Good luck! Happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Steve

Old 02-25-2019, 08:48 AM

11,168 posts, read 19,409,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
Logan: ... But they wont change things. For example, they "don't do shiplap".
That would not have been a deal-breaker for me. However, I am curious: did Hagood find you a modern material that look like old shiplap? Is it individual planks or a solid sheet of material?

Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 AM

It is not a solid sheet. I do not know what the material consists of, to be honest. I have seen it in numerous Hagood models and the Boss liked the looks of it, so we have some in a couple areas of the forthcoming house.

Steve

Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
My wife and I just went through the same process, and here are our 2 cents.

Logan: You get a lot of square footage for your money, but they are a bit more cookie-cutter than the other two listed. If you like one of their models as-is, you get a lot of value. But they wont change things. For example, they "don't do shiplap".

Kent: Very nice. We just could not find a front elevation that we liked.

Hagood: We are building with Hagood. Patrick is a good salesman, and honest. We took an existing plan and HEAVILY modified it for what we wanted. No problems with that. An example of honesty: Our lot backs up to a wetlands area, and it has been raining a ton the last year raising the water table unusually high. Patrick warned us ahead of time that we might need additional engineering for our footings when they broke ground, and gave us a price range if that was necessary. That proved to be correct, and the additional charge was just under the range quoted.

I believe all 3 will build you a lovely home, and it will come down to some personal preferences. We are the 5th Hagood home in a stretch of about a half-block. We interviewed all the other neighbors about their experiences with Hagood. None of them claimed they were perfect, but all came out of the process well satisfied, especially since Hagood comes out a year later and fixes anything and everything that has emerged during the first year of home ownership.

Good luck! Happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Really appreciate your insights. We'll be visiting in May and stopping by both the Kent and Logan design centers. The elevations for Kent homes is our concern also but we like the interiors slightly better than Logan. Interestingly enough, Hagood has not responded to my email but I think I will reach out to Patrick as a former colleague recommended him.

Is Hagood comparable in cost or much more expensive? Would you share which floor plan you started with?

Thanks so much, we'll be chatting.....Lynn

Old 03-17-2019, 12:42 AM

Patrick is a really good guy with Hagood. My wife and I enjoyed working with him.

Kent and Hagood were essentially the same price.

Our home is a variation on a Lockwood plan, and, in fact, was a further variation off a Lockwood that had been modified by some other customers a couple years ago building in SJP.

We reached the conclusion that there are a number of really nice builders. We did not want to pay for pure custom, so worked with a semi-custom and have-so far- been really happy. I think we are the 6th Hagood home on the immediate stretch of our street, so they appear to be doing something right.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 03-30-2019, 07:16 AM

70 posts, read 79,556 times
Has anyone used Mansfield propane company for tank set up?

Old 03-30-2019, 02:40 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,156,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel79 View Post
Has anyone used Mansfield propane company for tank set up?
I haven't used them to set up a propane tank, but just be aware there are 2 Mansfield hvac companies. One is Mansfield Brothers on Oak Island Road (on the mainland), and the other is just Mansfield on E. Oak Island Drive (on the island). I have experience with both in regard to hvac servicing and highly recommend Mansfield Brothers, and strongly do not recommend Mansfield.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:12 AM

70 posts, read 79,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I haven't used them to set up a propane tank, but just be aware there are 2 Mansfield hvac companies. One is Mansfield Brothers on Oak Island Road (on the mainland), and the other is just Mansfield on E. Oak Island Drive (on the island). I have experience with both in regard to hvac servicing and highly recommend Mansfield Brothers, and strongly do not recommend Mansfield.
Thank you

Old 03-31-2019, 12:43 PM

110 posts, read 201,461 times
I agree with Mansfield Brothers as the better choice. I have had nothing but great service from them over the last 12 years.

Ron W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina