U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM

152 posts, read 239,375 times

Advertisements

That article was from March, the data I have is from August. Looking through all of the Brunswick County projects, there is nothing to indicate the bridge building is not part of the "NC-211 Widening Project." It does make sense that the bridge construction would start first as that will be the most disruptful (part of Midway/Middleton will be relocated) so the new bridge and the new connections to it have to be completed before the rest of the project in that area can be completed. Also the access to NC-133 from NC-211 will be via the road that right now is the mail entrance to Lowe's Hardware, so I would think that the new access road is one of the first things that will be built in that area,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I'm not sure, bu my understanding is that the work on the interchanges at Midway and Long Beach Roads will start first. Perhaps that work is funded separately from the widening project, which will start after the interchange work.

"N.C. 211 project

Widening of N.C. 211 from two to four lanes has been delayed again, this time by four months, reported Chad Kimes, DOT engineer.

Including two overpasses and partial interchanges, the work is expected to cost $122-million and considerably eliminate congestion for decades to come.

The majority of the new road will have two 12-foot-wide travel lanes separated by a 30-foot grassy median. Parts of the road will be raised by as much as five feet to keep it out of the 100-year floodplain.

Work will begin at Midway Road (N.C. 906) and end at N.C. 87 in Southport. There will be curbs, gutters and sidewalks from about Walmart to N.C. 87.

DOT expected to let the contract in April but will now hold off until August. “There’s just a ton of utilities that have to be moved,” Kimes said. DOT is also making some budget adjustments that affect the timing, he said.

Many contractors are receiving extensions on paving because of extended wet weather. By seeking bids in August, DOT hopes to receive lower and more competitive bids, Kimes said.

Work on the interchanges won’t start until the fall of 2020. The entire project is expected to take about four years."

https://stateportpilot.com/news/arti...92f615862.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:50 PM

332 posts, read 618,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaper View Post
SJP is not a golf cart community. If that is what you are looking for, not the place.

The Landings outside Savannah has 6 golf courses, is lovely, and EVERYONE has carts there. People actually are a bit competitive over how decked out and super-charged their carts are.

Steve
I've stayed there before with a host family while doing some for the PGA Tour. Yes, they certainly do go all out. I for one, love it.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 PM

522 posts, read 175,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
That article was from March, the data I have is from August.
Link?

Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM

18 posts, read 37,863 times
I have used Ron Mathews 336-755-8613 for several years. He lives on Oak Island. He does as much as you want and does not cut if not needed. Also does pruning. Very reasonable. Did not require a contract.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:14 PM

We are in Division 3 and the project is on Page 2 of 50.

There is an article on page 2B of the State Port Pilot dated August 14, 2019, that says the state transportation officials expect to seek bids this January for the widening of 211. I hope my previous posts were in error as I would like to see the road get built. Time will tell.

https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-po...draft-stip.pdf

Quote:
Link?

Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
We are in Division 3 and the project is on Page 2 of 50.

There is an article on page 2B of the State Port Pilot dated August 14, 2019, that says the state transportation officials expect to seek bids this January for the widening of 211. I hope my previous posts were in error as I would like to see the road get built. Time will tell.

https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-po...draft-stip.pdf
So I emailed Chad Kimes with NCDOT Division 3 and he confirmed what you found. The project is being delayed due to budget issues at DOT. I'm surprised the media hasn't picked up this yet...I guess DOT is not drawing attention to it. It will be the second half of 2021 or the first half of 2022 (FY 2022) before construction begins.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:42 PM

Bummer!

The Wilmington media picked-up pretty quickly on the delay/death of a new Cape Fear bridge, but I guess they did not read the rest of the report. I wonder how long it will take the State Port Pilot to report on it.

Thanks for following up.

Quote:
So I emailed Chad Kimes with NCDOT Division 3 and he confirmed what you found. The project is being delayed due to budget issues at DOT. I'm surprised the media hasn't picked up this yet...I guess DOT is not drawing attention to it. It will be the second half of 2021 or the first half of 2022 (FY 2022) before construction begins.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:54 PM

28 posts, read 28,019 times
On another topic, does anyone have knowledge of what is being developed on the north side of 211, west of the St. James community center. It is a huge parcel with lots of potential but appears to be an exercise in earth movement.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:11 PM

30 posts, read 26,759 times
Been wondering that for past 2 years since moving in. The huge pile of dirt is being slowing striped down and moved I assume towards the rear of the area. Don't believe it's a housing community because we would have heard about it. The new Homer Wright/ St James development surrounding the Town Hall/ Community Center is years away and I was told would not be started till well after the Rt 211 widening is completed. A mystery.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkmd View Post
On another topic, does anyone have knowledge of what is being developed on the north side of 211, west of the St. James community center. It is a huge parcel with lots of potential but appears to be an exercise in earth movement.
Its a commercial development that had plans approved several years ago. At one time various parts of it were being offered for sale (and may still be so today).

Here's an article about it: https://www.starnewsonline.com/news/...sing-to-nc-211
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina