U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 11:24 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times

Advertisements

Biscy.... down in your neighborhood on Shrewsbury Avenue & Newman Springs Road yesterday..... lots of snow and ice there too !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 AM

572 posts, read 1,413,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
I concur with my buddy Stoney. I live in (Joisey) as well and I have the 2 newspapers mailed to me every week and one of the sections i pay strict attention is the section that shows the Police Blotter or list of all arrests and crimes in the major towns there. Ironically I have not seen one Assault, theft, etc in the town of St James at all. Oak Island, Shallotte, Leyland have their share of petty crimes and DUI"S but the town of St James is never listed with any criminal activity.
There's no St James police blotter because unlike Southport and Oak Island, St James has no police force. The "town" of St James exists due to being incorporated in the state (only to prevent annexation) but it consists of the St James subdivision and one adjacent subdivision and has no other characteristics that would identify it as a town. I would imagine any crime (as remote as is should be in a gated retirement community) would be reported in the Southport police blotter or the Brunswick County Sherriff's blotter since that's who's responding if you call 911 from St James Plantation.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,975,887 times
Default Newspapers

Its called the Brunswick Beacon, they deliver via mail too
Stat Port Pilot is other one.

MEMBER2MEMBER NEWS -- SPECIAL EDITION

I think everyone who is involved with St. James is aware that General Manager John Brown has resigned his position with Troon and will be leaving St. James. Scores and scores of you have written to me asking why and where John is going and who will be replacing him. This morning I sat down with John for a short interview to learn some more about the situation and he told me there will be a formal announcement when the new GM is hired.

John is going into business for himself. His new company will be Brown Golf Management, LLC and John will be President and CEO. The company will be in the consulting business, but their main objective will be to acquire and manage existing golf courses.

Who's coming in as our new General Manager? Presently, Troon is interviewing different team members to see who fits best for St. James
--
the developer will have final approval of the candidate. And John will stay here through the transition period and this could be until the end of April
-- maybe sooner. When our new General Manager is hired, a letter will be going out to all Club Members; and John will have a Town Hall meeting to introduce the new GM.

John wanted me say thank you and that he will miss St. James and the Club Members. You will hear more from John when the new Manger is hired and a letter is sent out to all of you. John, we say thank you to you as well, and wish you the best.

I will be sending out a M2M this week-end -- had a chance to tour our new Reserve Clubhouse -- WOW!!!

Bill McCormack

Old 02-04-2011, 03:08 PM

Call it whatever you want but i never read about any crime associated with St James in these 2 newspapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
There's no St James police blotter because unlike Southport and Oak Island, St James has no police force. The "town" of St James exists due to being incorporated in the state (only to prevent annexation) but it consists of the St James subdivision and one adjacent subdivision and has no other characteristics that would identify it as a town. I would imagine any crime (as remote as is should be in a gated retirement community) would be reported in the Southport police blotter or the Brunswick County Sherriff's blotter since that's who's responding if you call 911 from St James Plantation.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 PM

720 posts, read 1,491,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Call it whatever you want but i never read about any crime associated with St James in these 2 newspapers.
I've never read of a crime associated with St. James and I've been reading the Pilot for years.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 AM

This is good news.... I guess I can leave my bullet proof vest home in NJ next month when we venture back to St James..... it will save a lot of weight in the luggage.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:53 AM

111 posts, read 208,537 times
I think if your looking for a retirement community and security is a big issue St. James is your place. From what I have heard it is difficult to get past the front gate if your not a resident, contractors need a pass and friends that drop by must be pre-announced. And I too have never read about any crime within the community.

We have lived on Oak Island now for 6 years and never had a security issue and neither have our neighbors. Most of the crimes are ones of opportunity, thefts from summer vacation homes, car break in's, DWI, some drug related etc. most of these could have been prevented by better locks, lights on timers and locking your car etc. I just think this comes with the territory of having a town with a diverse population, young families with kids, many rental homes and vacation homes. I don't think you could classify St. James as diverse.

Compared to Long Island I would say it's much less than in our home town, as a matter of fact we where ready to get an alarm up north for our home before coming down here but we aren't even considering one here.

Oak Island police force does have a program that you can enroll in when going on vacation, just go to the police station and give them dates you'll be away and they monitor your house at least once a day. I know they do check because they called me once when we were away after they found my back storage shed's lock unlocked, I had forgotten to lock it before we left. And they once questioned my next door neighbor when they stopped by and he was in my yard filling up our bird feeder

I don't think they provide this service for un-occupied rentals or vacation homes.

Ron

Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 PM

Now that you mention it, St James has the same service with their security patrol.... it was pointed out to me by my realtor.... he said he always reports to the security office when he is going away and they check on his house while he is gone.... he said it really isn't needed as there is no crime and no strangers inside the gates.... but since so many of the residents are from NY, NJ and similar areas, it makes everyone feel better.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Talking Security

Thanks, but after growing up in Jersey City, 3 blocks from the Duncan Avenue Projects, and living in Philadelphia, Richmond, Atlanta, Chicago, and than moving to Charlotte Security is pretty important to me.
My wife thinks I'm crazy with my "I don't trust anyone and anything" when it comes to home security so St James is in our future when i walk the white envelope into my work and say " As the farmer said to the potatoe, i'll plant you now and dig you later, I am outta here"!!!!

I have had my fill of this weather this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
I think if your looking for a retirement community and security is a big issue St. James is your place. From what I have heard it is difficult to get past the front gate if your not a resident, contractors need a pass and friends that drop by must be pre-announced. And I too have never read about any crime within the community.

We have lived on Oak Island now for 6 years and never had a security issue and neither have our neighbors. Most of the crimes are ones of opportunity, thefts from summer vacation homes, car break in's, DWI, some drug related etc. most of these could have been prevented by better locks, lights on timers and locking your car etc. I just think this comes with the territory of having a town with a diverse population, young families with kids, many rental homes and vacation homes. I don't think you could classify St. James as diverse.

Compared to Long Island I would say it's much less than in our home town, as a matter of fact we where ready to get an alarm up north for our home before coming down here but we aren't even considering one here.

Oak Island police force does have a program that you can enroll in when going on vacation, just go to the police station and give them dates you'll be away and they monitor your house at least once a day. I know they do check because they called me once when we were away after they found my back storage shed's lock unlocked, I had forgotten to lock it before we left. And they once questioned my next door neighbor when they stopped by and he was in my yard filling up our bird feeder

I don't think they provide this service for un-occupied rentals or vacation homes.

Ron

Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 PM

720 posts, read 1,491,433 times
DH was offered a "golden handshake" around 3 years ago but the timing was bad. Now we have our fingers crossed for an offer---2 more winters just feels like torture. My dog was walking on the snow today and walked right over the top of the picket fence . How do you chase a dog in 4 ft deep snow? Fortunately he heeded my son and came back. Are backyard fences allowed in St. James? What is the storage fee for RV's?Are there groups for activities such as knitting, quilting, RVing, re-finishing antique cars, learning fishing-----are there tennis courts that are open to everyone, or is there a membership (extra) fee as for golf? Can anyone eat in the clubs/ restaurants or do you have to be a member? I know I could call St. James for this info, but I don't want to start getting phone calls. Thanks for any info----
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina