U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM

844 posts, read 2,688,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Just saw the St James DVD and read the intro book. I see where the annual fees are $775/year; do they include use of things like the tennis courts and fitness club?

The booklet indicates that taxes are $.36/$100, which means taxes are only $900 on a $250K home; does that sound right?

Also, what does the wind and hail insurance cost on a $250K home?

Thank you
Hey guys,

Anyone have any insight into my questions? I could call St. James, but don't want to get bombarded with calls till I do some initial homework.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,389 times
Here you go.............

http://stjamespoa.org/Documents/POA_handbook.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Very informative document, Thank you.

However, I perused real fast, and did not see answers to my questions.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM

111 posts, read 208,744 times
I'm not sure if I have ever seen a complete list of fees, charges and tax's in a single document.

Ron W.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 AM

Thumbs up Fees and Taxes

I don't think such a document exists but i will check around. Here is this weeks memo from our buddy Bill Mac.

MEMBER2MEMBERNEWS

IT'S OVER

Football. No more football until the fall. Very sad. That was a fun game to watch yesterday -- two very good teams and it was close right to the end. The Lombardi Trophy is back in Green Bay -- seems kind of right, doesn't it? I have no real passion for either team -- they are both great franchises and have classy coaches. And the Rooney family, who own the Steelers, are probably the most respected and the finest owners in all of sports. So why was I kind of rooting for Green Bay? The Steeler quarterback, that's why. He is one of the best quarterbacks in professional football, but his off field behavior has been abominable. He is not very Rooney like at all. And the fans? Are there any more vocal or loyal fans then Steeler fans? I mean they are all waving those yellow towels around and they put big Steeler banners up on their houses -- these are grown (elderly) men. At least they did not have a big block of cheese on their heads. Only in America. These are great fans and they have a blast. The game was a lot of fun to watch -- two very good teams.

Did you see the half time show -- The Black Eyed Peas. I don't know what the hell was going on, but it looked like fun. Something tells me they were not trying to appeal to the over 60 audience. Mitch Miller or Lawrence Welk it wasn't (thank God).

CAN WE TALK?

Seriously, can we talk? Remember that's what Joan Rivers used to say as part of her comedy routine -- she had some funny bits when she was a stand-up comic. When I see her now on TV she scares me -- her face has been "fixed" so many times I don't think she can close her eyes when she sleeps. Anyway, I want to talk to you about what the M2M isn't. When I returned from Michigan last week, I sent out a M2M that had no St. James news in it. I was away for three weeks and had no idea what was going on around here, except I knew that John Brown was leaving but I did not know why or when he was leaving. Anyway, after reading that M2M, a friend of mine, who was very upset, sent me the following: ...."All we get from the 1/29 issue of M2M are rants about who sat next to you on an airplane and the reason some kook thinks all those birds died.............. please restore M2M to relevance to the St. James Community." Wow, pretty tough, huh? Do you think my friend was a little blunt? He sure was, but he did me a favor. It has been a long time since I let my readers know what the M2M is and what its objectives are. So here goes. The trouble is I have to confess I have no idea what the M2M is, I just write about things I experience or things I think of. People ask me if I write a blog -- hell, I'm not really even sure how one would go about posting a blog. But I know what the M2M isn't; it is not a newsletter. Your Club News, POA What's Up, and Cat-Tales are your news sources and Just Judy brings you a ton of other information. And they all do a great job. But if I had to report to you things like "Storm Water Permit Procedures" or the next "Bingo Game", I would stick a fork in my eye. Now, do I ever report some St. James news? Sure I do. Particularly If there are rumors flying around and we all need to know what the facts are, then I will check it out and report to you what I find out.

In summary: The M2M is not a newsletter. The M2M is just ramblings from a "middle age" man and once in a while a rumor killer. By the way, at what age does one slip from "middle age" to old age? I've written about this before, but shouldn't middle age be around 40 to 45? Middle is half way, so that would mean you would live to be 80 or 90. If you are sixty five and you claim middle age you've got to make it to 130. Oh my God, you would just be a pile of wrinkles in a chair.

GAYLE MITCHELL AND SHIRLEY DONNELLY

Do you know these gals? No? Neither did I. They are responsible for raising the money for the beautiful new landscaping around the St. James Chapel. I love where the Chapel is situated. Leaving the front gate and taking the beautiful one mile drive down the hill, the first thing you see is the Chapel; it kind of introduces the newcomer to the St. James Community. Anyway, the new landscaping cost $3000 and the developer has contributed $1500, so we need to raise the remaining $1500. It was decided to offer note cards with lovely images of the Chapel on them, painted by the talented Susan Dade and Julie White. You can get a package of 5 notecards for $10, or 3 packages for $25. To buy some cards contact Gayle @ 253-4564 or Shirley @ 253-7627. Give one of these hard working gals a call and buy a few cards. Or you can buy some at the next Chapel service.

NERDSVILLE

In the past I have written about a team of guys from St. James who works on the Computers for Kids Program. They refurbish old computers and donate them to the Brunswick School system. To say these guys are a little or the nerdy side is an understatement. Nor are these five guys the most exciting individuals you will ever meet, but they perform a really important service -- they put a computer in the hands of a needy child for free and so far they have refurbished approximately 600 computers. Wow! And now they are looking for more old computers to work on. Can you help? Do you have an old computer around that you are not using? They can only take PCs with a valid Windows XP or later operating system. They also need monitors, mouses, and keyboards. No printers -- ink cartridges are too expensive. Each child gets a flash drive to bring their homework to and from school. Please, let's get them some computers so we can keep them in their workshop and we won't have to talk to them. Actually, they are really good guys and provide a very important service. Give one of them a call:

Bud Brown -- 253-7290
Bruce Maxwell -- 253-4452
Ron Keenan -- 253-9825
Ed McCarron -- 253-3200
Len Trizinsky -- 253-1229

POTPOURRI

I'M ABLATED AND I'M ELATED. Sorry. I can't believe I just wrote that. I sound like Johnny Cochran. The Ablation Procedure I had last Wednesday was perfect -- it is a very common procedure. It's kind of cool; the Doctor puts four catheters up through your groin and up to your heart and zaps an area of the heart to scar it. This prevents a damaging electrical charge from going through that area. Simple! It's incredible to me.

SPEEDING. It seems to me that most folks obey the speed limits in St. James. I very seldom see a car speeding. Of course I live on a dead-end street so the only time I see traffic is when I go out on St. James Drive, so my observations are limited. 30 miles per hour is fine for St. James Drive, but no slower, right? The other day I pulled out on St. James Drive and was behind a woman who was going 18 MPH and she drove that slowly all the way to the front gate conversing with a passenger the whole time. I mean we were hardly moving. At one point I looked out my car window and a fat guy in tennis shoes ran by us. I mean, didn't this woman know how important my mission was -- I had to go to Mrs. Lowes to buy a sweet onion for "the wife". It's funny how upset we can become at something totally unimportant. And ironically, the woman who was driving 18 MPH was not upset at all -- I'm sure she had no idea she had 32 cars backed up behind her. Folks like that are blessed.

I ASKED. Sometimes when you ask a question you get such a great answer, you wonder why you asked the question. Last Friday I was visiting a patient and I asked one such question. He is an older guy and sits in a tattered easy chair in the corner of his living room. I pull a chair up in front of him because he is very hard of hearing. As soon as I sat down I noticed a small (12" by 12") calendar that was way up on the wall that is next to his chair. The calendar was hanging at least seven feet up the wall and at that height was unreadable. So I immediately asked my friend why he hung the calendar way up on the wall. He replied, "That's where the nail was". Perfect. I asked the question and I got the answer. Life is simple. I love that guy -- he always cracks me up.

Ritz Crackers are the best -- and so good for you too.

Talk to you all next week.

Bill McCormack

Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Default Memberships

http://www.theclubsatstjames.com/052...n_07_01_10.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
I'm not sure if I have ever seen a complete list of fees, charges and tax's in a single document.

Ron W.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 PM

111 posts, read 208,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Thanks Biscman

Lots of good reading some of which I did not fully understand......

I would certainly have a lawyer look at that document if I were to consider moving there, too many regulations and exclusions for a layman to understand. I think a future homeowner would be wise to invest the time and money to fully understand what he is getting into. A future resident really has to evaluate what their recreational needs are, I think for my wife and I the Social Plan would suffice, we are not golfers or tennis fans but we do like to lounge around the pool and eat.

I did not see any pricing in the Membership Plan document, thats not a good sign

Ron W.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Let me continue my investigation. My father was a cop-detective in Jersey city for 30 years, lets see if any of it rubbed off on me.

Be back at ya!!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Got an email response from St. James:

The club fees are $150/month for the household.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 AM

Question Club Fees

Marc-
Did they define what Club Fees included? Was it just the pools and the health Center?
Assume it did not include Signature Membership and Golf, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina