U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 AM

844 posts, read 2,687,765 times

Advertisements

biscman,

No they did not specifically define what the $150/month included; I presumed (shame on me) that it included everything exclusive of golf.

I wonder too why they don't just come out and tell you what costs what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM

Has anyone participated in the St James Plantation Preview Package?

If so, what's involved; How many hours are you required to listen to the sales pitch, etc?

Presume they have no provisions for pets?

Thank you

Old 02-11-2011, 10:51 AM

794 posts, read 1,646,529 times
Dear marc....please don't take offense, just making an observation..... and perhaps I'm mistaken.... BUT.... you "appear" to be making it sound like the people at St James ( or any other of the dozens of plantations down there ) may somehow be attempting to deceive / hoodwink you. When we visited there in December we did not experience anything like that. Everyone we spoke with, the many residents we met with and the company reps at their HQ just outside the gates were friendly, open, cordial and VERY forthcoming with absolutely straight answers to any questions we had, as they were when we called on the phone many times before going down there.... and they were happy to send us complete outlines of every fee, membership option and what they all entail in detail with no one pestering us afterwards. We saw no pushiness or overbearing salespeople at all. There was no "sales pitch" to attend that we could see anywhere, there was no requirement to "endure" a lecture or speech a la a time share presentation for a resort in Mexico, we were free to come and go as we saw fit and go through any areas / facilities of the plantation at our leisure and at our own speed. In short, we found it to be an extremely pleasant experience all the way around and we found the same to be true when we ventured over to Ocean Ridge Plantation on the same trip.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:05 PM

Stonecreek67,

I never meant to imply that SJP were anything other than a reputable entity. However, unless I'm missing something, I just wasn't seeing see anything in print on the various fees, taxes, etc. I just like it when a entity clearly defines all the fees, etc on their web site, or at least in the information package they send out.

I posted some questions here in reference to fees & taxes, and did not get an answer, so I sent an email to SJP; however in hind sight, my email was not overly specific, so the response was general in nature. I guess I'm not asking the right questions to the right folks.

Guess I'll have to call down there, and talk to a live individual, as a lot can and usually get lost in email/print translation.

In regards to the $149 visit special, I did note we were required to take a real estate tour, and was just wondering how long you needed to be with them. I know they will provide a wealth of information, but also wanted sufficient time to see the surronding areas.

Is it possible you could give a short laydown of the differences between the plantations/gated communities you visited? or would also appreciate anyone else's input for that matter.

Again, From what I see on the web, and read here, SJP appears to be a great town, and I never intended to imply anything negative, as I have not been there.

Last edited by marc515; 02-11-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 PM

2,790 posts, read 7,379,229 times
I have to agree with Stonecreek on this one.
I'm not sure what your obligation would be if you opted for the $149 special. I can only imagine.

Several years ago, we were staying in the area and happened upon St. James. Stopped in to inquire and took a quick tour. They did not show us any existing homes, amenities or re-sales.

They were pushing the newest neighbourhood, the Preserve or Reserve (I don't remember) which was just a huge clear cut area. Unimpressive and quite expensive.
From that experience, I imagine that your "tour" would be the newest neighbourhood Woodlands Park. Check out those prices on Vic's Pic's.

Again, this was many years ago but I think you would be much happier exploring the area on your own. JMO

Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 AM

For you guys who either live there or have visited the area, how are the bugs in the summer? I remember reading somewhere that SE-NC is bad in the summer, and the green headed flies will eat you alive?

So what's the truth?

Also, is SJP in a flood zone?

Thanks again

Last edited by marc515; 02-12-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
They'll send you a packet an inch thick with every fee, etc listed in detail.

We did not take the St James "special" deal weekend. We hooked up with a realtor from an outside agency that lives in St James ( his name is Ken Keegan 910-523-0903 ), unlike the company reps, he ( or any other outside realtor ) can and did drive us all around the Southport area and showed us not only St James but a very good tour of everything outside the gates in Southport, the company reps cannot and will not do that. We just stayed at one of the 3 local motels in Southport which are all very nice and pretty new, it came out the same dollar wise and then we had no obligation to anyone at St James, the realtor got us a guest pass for our car to enter the gates at will and go around St James as we wished..... I think it was better that way.
Stonecreek67,.....All we received was the Costing magazine and a DVD; what mag did you receive? The Costing Mag had some costs on the next to last page for utilities, taxes, and and POA fees, but nothing on the clubs. I just sent them an email asking for club fees.

Taxes look to be really good; $1,080 for a $300K home is not bad at all. Now I just need to find out how much home owners ins is, to include wind and hail ins.

Living in a gated community has it's +'s and -'s, but beleive the +'s are for the greater good. Depends on how strict they are. I've seen where some don't even allow you to wash your cars; so gotta find out what we can/cannot do in SJP.

We will plan to take a ride down this year; appreciate the insight, and will make contact with the realtor you noted.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-16-2014 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: orphan the quote

Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM

794 posts, read 1,646,529 times
Jerseyj.... you are correct. As nice or as low key / no pressure as they may be, the company sales people are just that after all, "company" sales people, just like realtors in subdivisions everywhere they will steer you to the areas and lots that are most advantageous for them and the company... and I dare say that they receive a bigger commission / points for selling the newly opened areas and lots directly from the company. There are "quite a few" ( hundreds ) resale lots and houses that are better deals ( IMHO anyway ) including foreclosures, bank owned properties and FSBO's..... and properties that simply must be sold for financial reasons just like everywhere else.... before buying anything I intend to scour over every piece of property that is availabe from any source anywhere in the plantation..... then make my choice..... that's why I went with an outside realtor who can and will show me everything that is available.... beside which he is a very nice guy, knows everyone there and they know him, had dinner with him and his lady, just nice people.... like everyone we met so far down there.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,006 times
Stoney is right on the mark with this piece"There are "quite a few" ( hundreds ) resale lots and houses that are better deals ( IMHO anyway ) including foreclosures, bank owned properties and FSBO's..... and properties that simply must be sold for financial reasons just like everywhere else.... before buying anything I intend to scour over every piece of property that is availabe from any source anywhere in the plantation..... then make my choice"

I would go with Stoneys guy or one of the people at PLantation Properties and stay at the local motels Stoney mentions. Free Breakfasts Too as we all like free stuff.

Heading to Charlotte from Joisey next weekend to visit the kids and might trek to SJP if in the mood.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-16-2014 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 02-12-2011, 10:23 PM

720 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
For you guys who either live there or have visited the area, how are the bugs in the summer? I remember reading somewhere that SE-NC is bad in the summer, and the green headed flies will eat you alive?

So what's the truth?

Also, is SJP in a flood zone?

Thanks again
Marc515---We have gone down every summer since 1989(July and August). I do remember one summer when the mosquitoes were thick---otherwise we've never felt that they were a problem. At dusk if you're outside, you may want to spritz on some bug spray---maybe. We've stayed on the Island and last year in our RV in Southport. We also go to the pier in Southport at night.The bugs are much much worse here in southwestern CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina