U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM

13 posts, read 31,956 times

Advertisements

one thing i will say in agreement is you can buy property in st. james on your own. that is there are plenty of lots and resale homes for sale by owners and local brokers. comissions are usually 10% on land and 6% on housing. many of the lots include either all the initial memership fee or a partial credit of same in the price if the original buyer opted for membership or was credited some or all of the cost by the developer. if you can find property for sale by owner and the membership is tranferable you can do well by saving the cost of comission and the initial membership cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 AM

794 posts, read 1,646,529 times
jportcity..... you are on point..... and regarding those commissions.... "usually" is the operative word, just like here in NJ, EVERYTHING is negotiable, including real estate commissions.... especially in this economy.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,389 times
Subject: member2membernews

MEMBER2MEMBERNEWS

THE RESERVE -- LOTS GOING ON

I had a chance to have a tour of the new Reserve Clubhouse and I can tell you that over the years I have been in lot of Clubhouses and none are prettier than this one. It is outstanding, and to quote Katie Campbell, "It feels more like a home than a Clubhouse". On Saturday, March 26th, Member Appreciation Day will be held at The Reserve and in addition to all the other activities on that day there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new Clubhouse and tours will be conducted for all. Should be fun -- try to keep the date open. The Clubhouse will be open for dining on March 31st.

It was so pretty yesterday, I took a long walk down into the Reserve where our new Seaside Club is under construction. I was surprised to see that they are in the process of pouring concrete for the curbing in the parking lot and the pool is under construction. Opening is anticipated for early summer -- this will be another great amenity at St. James. Lots going on.

POTPOURRI

Didn't we have a great week-end? This weather is more like it and it gets better -- by the end of this week the temperature will be in the 60's. And have you noticed how our days are getting longer -- you can play tennis or golf now until 6:00. You know, every winter I am always anxious for the weather to get warmer and for the days to get longer. What's the rush? At my age I should hope the winter lasts forever. Yesterday, I was talking on the phone to a buddy I have known since kindergarten and in the conversation he mentioned he was doing something or another and it was a good way "to kill some time". I said, "Andy, at our age, don't even think about killing "some" time -- you don't have that much time left." He told me thanks a lot and then he said he didn't want to talk to me anymore.

You know, there are six of us who went to kindergarten together at Our Lady of the Lake grammar school who are still very close -- five of us are former Marines and the other guy was a dogface. We speak on the phone frequently and also get together frequently. Originally there were 11 of us who stayed real close, but five (three more Marines) have passed away. We were extremely close as kids and that has carried on throughout our lives even though we have traveled different educational and career paths and we live all over the country. We never lost contact. From talking with other folks, I have discovered that these long term friendships we have are somewhat unusual. I have often discussed this phenomenon with my grammar school buddies to try and discover why we all remained so close. We really have no answer. We don't have a lot in common with each other, but we are friends just because we were friends more than 60 years ago. Why were we so close? Could it be the way we were raised? Growing up we never had any organized activities. No one ever drove you to "practice". We made up all of our own games. We would get broken baseball bats from an American Legion game and put a screw through the handle and warp it with tape. Baseball cover would come off and we would cover them in tape -- God, they were heavy! We organized all our own games and settled all our differences. No adults were involved. We had no money -- we had fun together and got in trouble together. We would always "stick up" for a buddy. If it meant lying we would lie. We all learned that lesson early. Once a nun told us if we told her the truth we would be better off. We told the truth and she beat us. Boom! So that's how it works -- lesson learned. There was total loyalty -- we shared secrets with each other that we would never discuss with a parent or any adult. There were over 50 children in all our classes from kindergarten through 8th grade. One nun taught more than 50 kids in each grade all day. These women had a herculean task. There were 10 nuns in the whole school -- 9 teachers and one principal. No secretaries, no administrators, no assistants, no library -- just discipline! Can you imagine teaching more than 50 children at one time how to read or how to diagram a sentence? They taught and boy we learned! Boys will be boys and we were beaten regularly -- this is how they managed to control us. We were even smacked on the back of the head in Church if we were caught talking. Of course these beatings and the discipline just made us closer. By the way, you never mentioned at home that you were beaten in school, because if you did you would get it again at home. Could these be the reasons for our long term friendships? I really don't know and it's not really important -- it is just interesting to us. We all grew up and we are fine, although I still get a little nervous if I happen to be in a Catholic Church -- I don't want to get smacked again. Sorry about carrying on like this. By the way, nine of us went into the Marine Corps after high school and Parris Island wasn't so tough after Our Lady of the Lake School.

"The wife" and I played golf on Saturday at Players and I ran into Ken Freshwater and he told me he has noticed that many folks are displaying American flags that are not in good shape -- that are tattered. I told Ken I would pass on that information and maybe folks would fly better flags. I normally don't write about this kind of stuff, but since I have already broken my rule, another Member wanted me to tell everyone about their mailboxes. Yup, your mailboxes -- they have mold on them and don't look good. She said get some bleach water and the mold will be gone in a minute. Sorry that's enough lecturing -- I have to go out front and check my flag and my mailbox -- I don't want to get in any trouble with the flag and mailbox police.

The old guy got us again. Remember, last week when I told you about a visit to an older patient of ours and I asked him why he put the calendar on the wall 7 feet from the floor where he could not read it? And he told me, "That's where the nail was". Well we went over the other day for a visit and he told us he wanted to replace a burned out bulb in a corroded outdoor fixture. The fixture in question was at his back door which he never uses. My partner was busy trying to remove the rusted bolts on the fixture to access the old bulb and I asked my patient when he used that light. He was a little annoyed with my question and answered very quickly, "I never use it". He got us again. I'm gonna kill him.

Talk to all next week.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:17 PM

844 posts, read 2,688,024 times
I talked to a couple of folks at SJP, and here's what I perceived:

1. You can't park your RV on your property, which is more than likely a good thing? They have a lot where you can park your RV; $30/month

2. Not sure I fully understood this, but here goes: If you want to be a member of the clubs(tennis, fitness, beach), you have to pony up $15K, either directly to the clubs, or through the purchase of a home where the member had the club membership. Either way you have to buy in if you want to participate. I understand that some of the older homes have a membership that can be sold back to SJP. Again, that's what I perceived, as it was a little confusing.

3. There is now only one level of membership and the monthly dues are $150.

Not saying anything against SJP, as most likely all the gated communities in that area work the same.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM

marc515, #1 and #2 are correct... however with regards to #3 that is not so, there is a myriad of membership levels from $65 monthly up to $480 monthly as those papers show and that is still in effect as of today.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 AM

844 posts, read 2,688,024 times
Stonecreek67,

Unless I misunderstood the conversation yesterday, the representative told me the different levels and membership structure recently was now a single rate. I mentioned I had the 2010 dues structure, and he indicated it changed late last year.

Again, I could have totally misunderstood what he said.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 AM

OK marcy.... I will investigate, however, I do not see how that could be since there are so many variables involved... tennis/no tennis.... exercise classes.... golf at different clubs and number of times played, etc, etc..... I will check on it.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,389 times
now i am confused, i thought they narrowed it down to 2 levels, The Signature and The Premier.

My man Stoney will get to the bottom of this.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM

The "bottom" has been reached... although as far as I know for the most recent few years it has always been at the same depth that it is today.

Yes, while there are 2 "levels" of membership, Signature and Premier.... there are also 4 "levels" within each of the Signature and Premier.

Signature Golf
Signature Tennis
Signature Social
Signature House

Premier Golf
Premier Tennis
Premier Social
Premier House

Several of the above also have sub-categories..... and each has it's own set of fees and what each category entitles the member to.... WHEW.

It is a full 2 full pages long and to get it all straight on what level one might be interested in you have to get the pages in front of you from St James.

This is only my opinion, but I believe that the amenities package and priveleges and the prices attached to them are pretty reasonable for what you get. It is a very upscale "Country Club" atmosphere with extremely nice clubhouses, restaurants, activities, golf courses, pools, beach club, exercixe facilities, etc and for a LOT less $$ than anything up here in NJ..... again, just my opinion.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 PM

111 posts, read 208,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I talked to a couple of folks at SJP, and here's what I perceived:

1. You can't park your RV on your property, which is more than likely a good thing? They have a lot where you can park your RV; $30/month

2. Not sure I fully understood this, but here goes: If you want to be a member of the clubs(tennis, fitness, beach), you have to pony up $15K, either directly to the clubs, or through the purchase of a home where the member had the club membership. Either way you have to buy in if you want to participate. I understand that some of the older homes have a membership that can be sold back to SJP. Again, that's what I perceived, as it was a little confusing.

3. There is now only one level of membership and the monthly dues are $150.

Not saying anything against SJP, as most likely all the gated communities in that area work the same.
My thoughts on item 1....My wife and I are avid campers and travel 4 or 5 times a year we NEED to have our RV in front of our house a least a few days before and after a trip to load and unload or to do maintenance. That's a must, which pretty much means a gated community is out. If your a boater who trailers a boat the same situation exists.

Gated communities can be too restrictive, not a put down of SJ, they all have similar restrictions and covenants. And of course they do protect you from having neighbor who keeps every boat he ever owned on his front lawn

Ron W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina