U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2009, 05:00 PM
 
Location: St. James, NC
169 posts, read 501,984 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

"There is always some sort of "drama" going on behind the gates."

Yes check the local papers, State Port Pilot, Star News, etc. Check the Police Blotter, notice which communities are conspicuously absent from said reports. They would be St. James and Bald Head Island. Crime is virtually nonexistant in St James. Drama? We were debating (internally) whether to build a community center (and city hall) outside the gates and/or how to fund it. Hardly a drama. The consensus was to build the new city hall and community center, which we will soon do. Try checking out our websites St. James Plantation, a gated residential community in Southport North Carolina. to see what St. James has to offer. No other development, has become a fully incorporated town and 2: No other (local) town has a cohesive and clear identity and a compelling sense of community. Come vist, I'll show you around. bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville
160 posts, read 681,201 times
Reputation: 105
St James Plantation is a nice subdivision. It's a large gated community with several golf courses and a marina on the Intracoastal Waterway. Home prices range from $200,000 to just under $1,000,000. Residents are mostly retirees and mostly transplants from the northern states. St James is definately among the nicest subdivisions in Brunswick County, probably 2nd only to Ocean Ridge Plantation and the barrier island communities. The only negative is it's location near Southport which lacks amenities such as a mall, a modern movie theatre and major chain restaurants. Anyone looking for a gated golf/waterway community with close amenities would probably be better suited for the Landfall subdivision in Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2009, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,355 posts, read 8,874,828 times
Reputation: 4963
any solutions on the sewage debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 AM
 
1 posts, read 12,422 times
Reputation: 13
What about Seawatch in Brunswick county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville
160 posts, read 681,201 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighabe View Post
What about Seawatch in Brunswick county?

Unless you plan to buy a foreclosure lot and hold it for several years before building a home, I'd run (not walk) away from Seawatch. Most lots were sold to people who thought they would be able to flip them for a huge profit so now there's a substantial amount of foreclosures and short sale lots and only a handful of homes. I only know of 3 homes that have been constructed (out of well over 1000 homesites) but I haven't been in the community in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Valley of the Sun
196 posts, read 500,508 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGT View Post
Unless you plan to buy a foreclosure lot and hold it for several years before building a home, I'd run (not walk) away from Seawatch. Most lots were sold to people who thought they would be able to flip them for a huge profit so now there's a substantial amount of foreclosures and short sale lots and only a handful of homes. I only know of 3 homes that have been constructed (out of well over 1000 homesites) but I haven't been in the community in a few months.
We were in Seawatch this past Sunday to tour the "Idea House". In my view a veiled and desperate attempt to generate interest in the development. Three is the number of completed homes we saw with two others under construction. Pretty sad.
I believe we were the last to depart and while driving off the property we both experienced a surreal twilight zone feeling about the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM
 
214 posts, read 717,687 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
We were in Seawatch this past Sunday to tour the "Idea House". In my view a veiled and desperate attempt to generate interest in the development. Three is the number of completed homes we saw with two others under construction. Pretty sad.
I believe we were the last to depart and while driving off the property we both experienced a surreal twilight zone feeling about the place.

i am so sorry but this thread has gone from St. James to Sea Watch, two totally different scenarios, how does this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 10,665,956 times
Reputation: 9448
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law built their retirement home and live in St. James Plantation. They love it there. We went there this summer to visit for the first time and I must tell you it was a beautiful community. The people were very friendly to us. I took early morning walks each day and the people I encountered were so welcoming. It felt very safe there and my BIL confirmed that crime is pretty much non-existent at St. James. Their private beach, pool, and clubhouse were first rate. Life there seems to revolve around golf and tennis, so if that's your thing you'd fit right in.

I believe that some of the locals are jealous of the amenities and lifestyle at St. James Plantation. One local guy told me he was sick of those Yankees coming to his town, building their fancy houses, and living better than the people who were born and raised there. To be honest, it'd be easy to covet their lifestyle and amenities because they are just so doggone nice. My BIL and SIL worked hard and saved their entire lives to achieve this and I'm very happy that they've found their perfect retirement location. I hope this information helps you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Valley of the Sun
196 posts, read 500,508 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
i am so sorry but this thread has gone from St. James to Sea Watch, two totally different scenarios, how does this happen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighabe View Post
What about Seawatch in Brunswick county?
Three posts back.


No reason it can't come back to St. James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville
160 posts, read 681,201 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law built their retirement home and live in St. James Plantation. They love it there. We went there this summer to visit for the first time and I must tell you it was a beautiful community. The people were very friendly to us. I took early morning walks each day and the people I encountered were so welcoming. It felt very safe there and my BIL confirmed that crime is pretty much non-existent at St. James. Their private beach, pool, and clubhouse were first rate. Life there seems to revolve around golf and tennis, so if that's your thing you'd fit right in.

I believe that some of the locals are jealous of the amenities and lifestyle at St. James Plantation. One local guy told me he was sick of those Yankees coming to his town, building their fancy houses, and living better than the people who were born and raised there. To be honest, it'd be easy to covet their lifestyle and amenities because they are just so doggone nice. My BIL and SIL worked hard and saved their entire lives to achieve this and I'm very happy that they've found their perfect retirement location. I hope this information helps you.
I'll disagree a bit with this. Yes St. James is a nice community but 99% of the people who live outside the subdivision don't care about it and aren't jeolous of it. There are dozens of communities in a 30 mile radius that are as nice and in some cases far superior to St. James Plantation. Most of the hostility stems from what outside area residents see as arrogance and a power grab with the subdivision incorporating into a town and threatening to annex surrounding areas. I don't live in the area so I'm just an outside observer but it seems obvious to me that the surounding communities are not only NOT jeolous but are trying hard NOT to become part of the town of St. James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top