U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 PM

43 posts, read 100,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
#1.... Was waiting til tomorrow to asy Happy Birthday.... but ok Happy Birthday a day early..... I trust that this salutation does not remind you of the approching and inevitable onslaught of aches and pains that will soon be creeping up on you.

#2.... Yes, as a matter of fact we are headed down to St James next weekend for 5 days to breathe the Southportish air, partake of some victuals and libations at Tommy Thompsons and the various eating establishments inside and outside the plantation gates..... in particular we are looking forward to some oceanfront dining at some of the Oak Island and Southport restaurants with some of the new friends we made on our last trip. We will also be scouting around to arrange for a rental for when we arrive down there on approximately August 1st. The weather purports ( look that one up ) to be high 60's to low 70's degrees and sunny so we anticipate a few drinks on Friday night at Tommy Thompsons with the live entertainment out on the deck while watching the boats bob up ad down in the marina..... during these "festivities" I will be gently a puffin' on a Macanudo Baron de Rothchild in the breeze from the very same marina.
Be sure to bring your allergy medicine along. The pine trees are shedding and the pear trees are in full bloom and are shedding their blossoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:08 PM

794 posts, read 1,648,792 times
Dear h20tstr..... we will be at one with nature..... reveling in all it's glory. Witnessing the pine trees and the pear trees doing their "thing" as nature intended will be just as pleasing to me as the fragrant clouds of billowing smoke from my Macanudo as the tobacco leaves conflagrate and the ensuing clouds slowly waft across the marina, down the intracoastal waterway and eventually make their way out to sea.....

Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 12,892 times
Default Question from a newbie

Hi, I was looking for information on fees at St. James plantation and found this forum via a web search. What I didn't see was any info on golf fees - both initiation and recurring monthly fees. Does anyone have that info? I would greatly appreciate it. We have not visited St. James yet but are planning to go down later this summer/early Fall to have a look. It looks like a wonderful community.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 AM

Jan1229, the "initiation" fee is $15k non-refundable or $30k with 80% refundable if you leave / sell your property later. There is an extensive membership level structure with monthly fees to match the level of membership and associated priveleges..... if you scroll back a few pages several posts have been dedicated to those fees but to get a complete and accurate listing just call down there, they are happy to send you a packet with all the various fees and memberships.... they send them out all the time and I found them actually pretty easy on the phone, no hard sell if you just ask for info and won't bug you if you tell them you're just looking.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,979,571 times
That sure beats the smell of the NYC Subways and Kerosene fumes on the Seastreak, where do i sign up??

Ha!!!

This time of the year is beautiful down the Carolinas way. 3 Years from yesterday my dream becomes reality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2otstr View Post
Be sure to bring your allergy medicine along. The pine trees are shedding and the pear trees are in full bloom and are shedding their blossoms.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,207 times
I just got on here today to check things to do in another city and saw your question. I can't let it go by without answering. We moved to St. James 2 1/2 years ago and have found the community to be "heaven on earth". There are a lot of Northeasterners here, but there are so many more areas of the country retired here as well. On our street we have Minnesota, Maryland, NJ, NY, PA, WV, VA, MS, IL, CA, and MA to just name a few. We have been amazed at how quickly we have formed bonding friendships with such "strangers". We all are here to have fun and give back a little to the community........plenty of opportunities to volunteer. We are at the end of NC and not a lot of shopping, restaurants, etc., but that makes us bond together even more and take trips outside of St. James to go to special places. Inside of St. James (and in Southport and Oak Island) we have a few good places to eat...........cute boutique shops in the town of Southport. We go to Shalotte (25 min.) or Wilmington (40 min.) or Myrtle Beach (50 min.) to shop or take in the theatre.............it's fun and entertaining as well. The golf/tennis are great but so is the Beach Club that St. James owns on Oak Island. Lots to do and see for a retired couple. Choices of new homes, resales, condos, and patio homes, too. They are organized and deliver on their promises. Not a bunch of snobs who fight over the building of our community building. BTW, it is up and running and a beautiful addition to not only St. James but the town of Southport. It was built outside the gated community so everyone could enjoy its usage. I speak from experience when I tell you to not mark St. James off your list. I loved moving into a retirement area where things are already in progress and I just had to "plug in". Certainly look around but come see it again and don't believe all the negatives you received in other replys. We even go down to Tommy Thompson's (restaurant at the Marina) and enjoy watching the different boats that come and go as we relax on the outdoor patio.........................and we don't pay anything extra for the pleasure of having the marina right here at St. James.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM

909 posts, read 1,537,626 times
Jackie thanks for your "inside" perspective. There are 3 or four of us Bisc, Stoney, LB canal and myself on here that plan on moving down there in the next few years. You mentioned shopping and good eats as an area that may be lacking any hope that will change in the future as the population grows? Also how difficult is the trip to the beach June, July and Aug? Your future neighbor if I can convince my wife, CACO54

Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 AM

This is good news..... perhaps we are not making a mistake after all..... as the plane tickets for next week are non-refundable !

Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Ok.... so since we take off from EWR on Thursday morning for ILM for another 5 days at St James ..... the luggage is, of course, now out on a spare bed with "stuff", lots of folded stuff, sitting next to said luggage ready to be packed. The bare nuckled brawls have not actually started yet about how much less I can get the boss to cram into that luggage. I can only hope that when the fighting actually begins that a modicum of "reason" may enter the fracas. Mind you, that is not actually likely to occur..... but I can hope.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 PM

909 posts, read 1,537,626 times
I have moved three times since I am married. Each move I questioned taking the "shoe collection". The last move I put a chalk line on the bottom of the wife's shoes. Two years later I bought her in to the walk in closet and showed her the chalk lines and said that if they haven't been worn in two years they should go. She didn't talk to me for a week and 10 years later the shoes are still there. Back off Stoney or you will regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina