U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 05:36 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,016,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
What on earth do you mean

mmm i dunno dont we all have a picnic in a parking lot somewhere to go to LOL and i hear le roi is bringing a tasty drink. we might glow green afterwards, but good for a party trick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 PM

3,324 posts, read 5,221,140 times
Get some techno boom boom music and you got yourself a crazy party

Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM

794 posts, read 1,648,792 times
Here I go and have a good idea for a good ol' fashioned get-together where everyone can have some beer and great tastin' ribs 'n such in a congenial atmosphere of brotherly love... AND all that in a parking lot that is obviously unused on the weekends and just going to waste..... and everone is making jokes at my expense. I'm not sure if I can handle all this rejection and ridicule..... it may just be too much for me to handle............

Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 AM

OK.... just had my Wheaties for a bit of energy...... now another editorial tidbit.

Last night we went to the Park and Orchard restaurant in East Rutherford, NJ, just a mile or so from the Meadowlands Stadium. It was our first date back in 1987 and 1/2..... my wife tells me I was nervous, I don't remember that part. We have been going there regularly, alone and with friends for about 24 years +-..... same owners, same chefs, same staff, we see many of the same patrons each time we go..... just a fantastic restaurant, GREAT food and copious amounts of it. BTW, by coincidence, it was where our attorney and good friend proposed to his wife 20 years ago and we hadn't met yet. Anyway, it is a phenominal restaurant if you are in the area.

The point you may ask ? It is 27 miles from our house, up the Garden State Parkway and across Route #3 on the way to Manhattan..... it regularly, on a good traffic day and time, takes us about 45+ minutes to get there, each way. Not a hardship by any means, we do it all the time, at the spurr of the moment, as the feeling hits us. I will point out that on our last trip we left St James and travelled the 29 +- miles up to and over Rt #17 to the bridge into Wilmington and it took about 30 minutes on a brand new smooth as glass 6 lane highway.... passing all the shopping, Harris Teeters, etc along both sides of the highway in Leland. Once again I must question the comments on the "remoteness" aspect of St James. I simply don't get it. I honestly do not see the remoteness, I have heard people comment as if St James were located in a barren wasteland and a two day, pack a couple of lunches, need to shave again trek to get to civilization. We drive further logisticaly and longer timewise than that now for dinner and / or lunch without blinking.

Gently ranting a bit.

BUT, if you're in the area...

Home - Great Dining in East Rutherford, NJ

It's a must visit !

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 04-16-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,979,571 times
Update from Bill

MEMBER2MEMBERNEWS

IPS

The 4th season of In Plain Sight premieres this Sunday (May 1) at 10:00 on USA Network. Season4 will consist of 13 episodes and they will finish shooting at the end of June. And remember, that Mary is pregnant so it will be interesting how they will write that into the show. Who is the father?
If you recall at our Hospice Fund Raiser last October we auctioned off four parts on Mary's show for $5000 each and so far three folks have gone to Albuquerque and filmed their roles. There is one more to go. The Bairds were the first family to go to Albuquerque for filming, and Linda and Rich's teen age daughter Blythe was on the show. Blythe played a shoplifter and was filmed being booked at the station. Next up were the Bensons and Dan Benson was filmed sitting on the grass when a soccer ball is hit at him and he tosses it back in play (they had a more involved role for him but these BC guys can handle just so much before their brains begin to hurt). The third family out was the Dadettos and because Wayne is not the best looking guy in the world (I'm being as kind as I can), his wife Pam, who is good looking, was filmed sitting next to Mary at a luncheon.
The last folks to go for filming will be the Hoerters, who are friends of Homer Wrights and attended our Hospice fund raiser and also bid $5000 for a part on the show. They will be going out to Albuquerque on June 5 and it is my understanding that Debbie Hoerter will be on the show. Well, guess what? I couldn't stand it any longer. The coughing Rabbi will be going to Albuquerque that same week and I plan to get on the show. I mean, these other folks did all right in their parts but what the show needs is a real professional appearance from someone from St. James -- that would be the Coughing Rabbi. I think my role should continue as a religious figure and maybe this year I could be a minister or a priest. Or how about a Hare Krishna guy? You know, I could be standing on the street in my orange robe and chanting. I think I would have to be bald to do the part and I'm not shaving my head -- unless, of course, the pay is right. I'll have my people call Mary's people (that's Hollywood talk).

I can't thank the four families enough who donated $5000 each toward our campaign to raise money to build Brunswick County's Hospice Care Center. These are wonderful folks and I think they all had a good time on the set of IPS. And I will notify everyone the week before these folks make their appearance on the show so we can all watch and then we can make fun of them.

POTPOURRI

A DRINVE AND A NINE IRON. Most of you are aware that Jason Kokrak won the e tour tournament held at St. James a couple of weeks ago. The tournament consisted of four rounds of golf -- one at Founders and three at the Reserve. Jason was 8 under for the win. And get this. The 17th hole at the Reserve is a 559 yard hole from the gold tees and Jason hit a driver and a nine iron to the green. He hit his drive 371 yards and then hit a 188 yard nine iron to green for a birdie four. Yes, it was downwind, but com'on -- a drive and a nine iron? You've got to be kidding me.

GREAT CONDITION. I am constantly hearing folks say what great condition our golf courses are in and I concur. In my 71/2 half years here I have never seen all our courses in this good condition. Congratulations to Director of Agronomy, Conrad Broussard and his whole staff.

AMERICAN IDOL. This is for the other 3 folks in St. James who watch American Idol. Our Friday golf group consists of two foursomes and before we teed off last week I asked the other 7 guys if any of them watched American Idol. I heard a lot of guffaws and are you kidding me's and one guy asked if American Idol was on Fox news. God, I hate old people.
Anyway, there are 6 contestants remaining on the show and I am guessing that James Durbin will be the winner. "The wife" likes Scotty McCreery, the Country and Western singer. There is a ton of talent on that stage and I think the show is better this year than it has ever been.

EASTER DINNER. We had some great company and a great meal with a Smithfield Ham, a Honey Baked Ham and a Leg of Lamb and of course all the trimmings -- and four homemade desserts, a Lemon Meringue Pie, a Coconut Cake, a Chocolate Cake, and a Cheese Cake with a soft chocolate center. Too much. Where's the workout room?
We brought a dinner and the desserts to a Hospice patient and he was a really happy guy.

Talk to you all next week.

Bill McCormack
Memer2membernews@gmail.com

Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 AM

909 posts, read 1,537,626 times
Stoney, I know you are planning on moving down to SJP later this year. Did you rent a free standing home or a condo? Were there a lot of properties available for rent to choose from? Is the property you are moving into furnished? How do they handle a renter with all the membership "stuff"? Do you "piggyback" on the property owners membership?

My next step would be to rent for a year or so after retirement to make sure there is a fit for us. I just want to make sure I am included in all the fun as a renter.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,979,571 times
Default Questions

Great questions, good information to know.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Oh.... OK.... so NOW you need me !

We rented a 2nd story, 4 br, 4 full bath ( all private suites ), two balcony, two story attached townhouse just a block or so from the marina ( literally a five minute walk ), it is completely furnished ( and VERY nicely I might add ), has it's own pool complex with built in grill area both just steps from our door.... $ 1,500 per month plus utilities ( from what everyone says they estimate that at about $ 250+- per month depending on what cable options you take ).

There were "tons" of condos and townhouses for rent to choose from 1 br, 2rs, 3brs and several houses, some a bit more dated than others but still nice. After looking at most of them, we simply took the one that we felt was the nicest "and" fit our time frame. They are all privately owned, some are rented through the St James office ( they add a hefty fee on the rental ) some are through a private listing newsletter by one of the former residents, she sends it out on request.

As far as priviledges, St James has a 90 day "membership" option that can be re-upped as long as your lease is in force..... lets you use whatever stuff you want to pay for, tennis, golf, etc..... I actually don't know exactly what the charges are for those different levels, we're going and that's it so we'll deal with that when we get down there in August. It can't be too crazy, many, many people rent out their condos for months at a time at different times of the year and those renters must be availing themselves of that temporary membership option..... after all that IS what it is there for.

As you may remember, we had the same thought in mind, we rented the place for a year just to make sure of the move.... WITH an option for more. After a few months of living there I'm sure we will be able to decide 100% for sure and go about the task of finding and purchasing a lot and building a house.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 AM

475 posts, read 492,182 times
Sounds like you did your homework!
What's your ETA?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Sister Mary Patricia got me very used to doing homework when I was mere ladd..... under the threat of ruler beatings ( the metal edged type ), getting locked in the cloak room, cleaning the blackboards after school and/or excommunication and the fires of hell...... but the worst threat of them all was threatening to tell my mother !

I believe that she would be very proud that after over 55 years I can still spell and therefore know what ETA actually stands for.... early August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina