U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,491 times

Advertisements

I've been researching the Southport St. James area for a retirement/ second home. Thought I should check into the safety of living near a nuclear power plant and I found this article about a tritium leak in the groundwater last December. The comment from a plant supervisor was upsetting. Scares me. Any comments?
First his comments-
Many Tritum Leaks at the Brunswick Nuclear Plant.

Submitted by Dean Holden (not verified) on Fri, 01/07/2011 - 8:07pm.
As a supervisor at the Brunswick Nuclear plant for 7 years and a Technician for 15 years, there have been a number of these leaks. As a supervisor I was in charge of a Manhole project and since 2004 and 2005 we were always fighting underground water leaks. The major problems they have there is so many water lines and electrical conduit underground. With the salt water enviroment these pipes are rusting through and with all the miles of underground piping they can never find all the water leaks and their sources. A major problem they did was to pave the whole site inside the protected area and now to search for the leaks you have to dig through pavement. They have cut their budget so bad and have not been proactive in finding the leaks. They have had a Tritum problems for years and have keep them under the radar..

Now the link to the new feed-

Progress Energy says tritium leak is fixed at Brunswick Nuclear Plant | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 AM

794 posts, read 1,646,908 times
Beachdog, the subject has been discussed at length a few pages back.... but since you asked for comments... we are moving from New Jersey to St James in about six weeks..... the situation OR non-situation ( depending upon how one looks at it ) that you refer to is not even a blip on our screen..... just our opinion.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 AM

471 posts, read 491,485 times

What does tritium do once it gets into the body?

Tritium is almost always found as water, or "tritiated" water. Once tritium enters the body, it disperses quickly and is uniformly distributed throughout the body. Tritium is excreted through the urine within a month or so after ingestion. Organically bound tritium (tritium that is incorporated in organic compounds) can remain in the body for a longer period.
Tritium atoms can exchange with any hydrogen atoms. If the hydrogen atom is part of an organic molecule, the tritium becomes 'organically bound' and is transported with the molecule rather than moving freely like water.
Top of page
Health Effects of Tritium

How does tritium affect people's health?

As with all ionizing radiation, exposure to tritium increases the risk of developing cancer. However, because it emits very low energy radiation and leaves the body relatively quickly, for a given amount of activity ingested, tritium is one of the least dangerous radionuclides. Since tritium is almost always found as water, it goes directly into soft tissues and organs. The associated dose to these tissues are generally uniform and dependent on the tissues' water content.
Top of page
This is what I found on Tritium. I don't plan on drinking any in the near future although I hear it makes for a great Martini!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 AM

Canals..... having been informed as to what fish routinely do in the water..... I am in favor of drinking some type of distilled product, preferably something 12 yrs old..... rather than take a chance on ingesting any large amounts of H20.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Default Tritium and safety concerns

Jeff Dunn of the Associated Press wrote in a release dated 6/21/11-

While NRC officials and plant operators argue that safety margins can be eased without peril, critics say these accommodations are inching the reactors closer to an accident.
Any exposure to radioactivity, no matter how slight, boosts cancer risk, according to the National Academy of Sciences. Federal regulators set a limit for how much tritium is allowed in drinking water. So far, federal and industry officials say, the tritium leaks pose no health threat.
But it's hard to know how far some leaks have traveled into groundwater. Tritium moves through soil quickly, and when it is detected it often indicates the presence of more powerful radioactive isotopes that are often spilled at the same time.
For example, cesium-137 turned up with tritium at the Fort Calhoun nuclear unit near Omaha, Neb., in 2007. Strontium-90 was discovered with tritium two years earlier at the Indian Point nuclear power complex, where two reactors operate 25 miles north of New York City.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Beachy.... you keep posting these "warnings / statements"..... these seem to bother you greatly and that is very understandable. So, since you asked... and only since you asked.... my advice would be to not move there.... if I were you I would alter my plans immediately and cross Southport completely off my list and move somewhere else.... ANYWHERE else that I thought was "safe" for my family..... why take a chance ?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM

That's pretty much what we decided StoneCreek. I was just hoping someone would refute my findings but I work too hard to live a healthy lifestyle to worry about the nuke plant ruining my retirement plans. Hope it works out for you.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Beachy, as a smart person said earlier in these pages..... they ( the plants ) are almost everywhere and many, many more are coming, so good luck finding a spot in the US where there never will be one in the future...... in addition, I would say that I don't trust the reporting or non-reporting of "problems" at any of them..... since they are all built in a pretty similar manner, "IF" there are indeed "cracks or leaks or whatever" in one of them, chances are pretty good that others are in the same condition and aren't being reported.... "IF". But since there is a better chance of me getting hit by lightning than getting involved in a plant disaster..... I'm not worrying or changing my life ..... but good luck in your quest.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 PM

907 posts, read 1,535,668 times
Stoney, keep us posted with updates every once in a while. I have 5 years left and will live vicariously through you until I move there myself.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:45 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,389 times
Default Partytime!!

4 years 8 months

But who's counting??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina