Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 25,433 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip next month to SJP but don't know a lot about the area other than what is on their website and the almost 70 pages of this thread. I would appreciate opnions on what the better locations are for housing. My wife and I are both avid golfers so being near a course is a must but with 81 holes that should be easy. Are there better locations to be or is the area small enough that it doesn't make much difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 04:28 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trw11 View Post
I am planning a trip next month to SJP but don't know a lot about the area other than what is on their website and the almost 70 pages of this thread. I would appreciate opnions on what the better locations are for housing. My wife and I are both avid golfers so being near a course is a must but with 81 holes that should be easy. Are there better locations to be or is the area small enough that it doesn't make much difference?
Brunswick Co. NC is a pretty big county. There are numerous golf communities to choose from.

Here is a list of the ones we have visited (this is not all of them).

More to the north in Brunswick closer to Wilmington NC-
St. James (of course). It is an incorporated town BTW.
Brunswick Forest
Magnolia Green
Winding River
Brick Landing

More south in the county, closer to Myrtle Beach SC-
Sea Trail
Crow Creek
Brunswick Plantation
Rivers Edge
Sandpiper Bay
Thistle
Ocean Ridge

All of these communities offer golf as an ammenity. There are many other communities that have different ammenities.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times
In my humble opinion and having golfed and visited almost everyone of these "plantations" I would rate St James and Ocean Ridge at the top. They are also the most expensive. Forget the "Brick" whose course has been closed. You left off Lockwood Folly which is way off the beaten path but nice homes and course. Thistle is a great track but a much smaller development. Sea Trail is closest to the beach but the courses are tired and it is too transient for my taste with many weekly rentals. The closer you get to Myrtle the more "day golfers" you will get so keep that in mind with your search. Played Sandpiper Bay this spring and it is a top notch track since the rebuild. I plan on going to St James as I believe it fits most of my specs.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 PM

78 posts, read 199,779 times
My wife and I looked at numerous communities around Wilmington and Porters Neck.We could not find anything that comes close to SJP

Old 08-11-2011, 07:39 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times
TRW11 after re reading your post are you asking about "locations" within St James or other develpoments?

Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
In my humble opinion and having golfed and visited almost everyone of these "plantations" I would rate St James and Ocean Ridge at the top. They are also the most expensive. Forget the "Brick" whose course has been closed. You left off Lockwood Folly which is way off the beaten path but nice homes and course. Thistle is a great track but a much smaller development. Sea Trail is closest to the beach but the courses are tired and it is too transient for my taste with many weekly rentals. The closer you get to Myrtle the more "day golfers" you will get so keep that in mind with your search. Played Sandpiper Bay this spring and it is a top notch track since the rebuild. I plan on going to St James as I believe it fits most of my specs.
Brick Landing might reopen as soon as Oct. 2011. It was recently purchased.
New York investment firm buys second North Carolina golf course | Golf Inc.

Didn't like the homes in Brick Landing though.

Didn't like Lockwood Folly, too isolated. Did a drive by.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM

8 posts, read 25,433 times
Default Areas within St James Plantation

I am just following up on my previous post. My focus was more on areas within the St James Plantation. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM

169 posts, read 583,255 times
Founders Club being the first golf course is pretty well built up. We are on the fourth fairway of Players Club. There are still empty lots on Players and Members. Of course there are many golf course lots in the Reserve. Give us a heads up when you are coming down and we can get together and talk. My wife and I always enjoy meeting new and prospective St. Jamesians. We love this place and there's nothing we like more than talking about St. James. bill

Old 08-12-2011, 02:24 PM

805 posts, read 2,005,017 times
OK, so as CrimsonDregs has reported, we arrived here at St James on Tuesday late afternoon. Just got our internet, etc up and running today.

Left NJ on Monday morning and stopped over in Richmond, VA ( about the half way mark ) at the Wingate Wyndham in Short Pump, VA ( a very upscale suburb of Richmond ), very nice hotel, clean, brand new. Had dinner at Maggione's Italian in the Nordsrom Mall next to the hotel and had breakfast at the Silver Diner down the street, both excellent stops.

No traffic to speak of the entire route. Went down to Tommy Thompson's at the Marina that evening ( Tuesday ) they have live entertainment on the dock on Tuesdays and Sundays. Had a bite and then out onto the deck at the Tiki bar for music and dancing with a boatload of others in what I can only describe as a heavenly breeze off the waterway, really helped with the heat and humidity. Great time was had by all as several of us sat there puffing on cigars with that breeze wafting up the sleeves of my brightly colored, silk Charlie Parker shirt while the cigar smoke was gently wafting it's way into the ether as we all discussed what a great job our polititions were doing with our future.

Same thing on Wednesday nite.... sans the live band..... took a break last nite ( Thursday ) and stayed in as we were a bit tuckered from unpacking the multitudes of boxes that the commandant packed with an extremely exorbitant amount of clothing and shoes ( maybe we'll open a thrift store ).... stiil more unopened boxes in the hallway, we'll wait a few days for them. Took a drive over to Oak Island this afternoon, with the top down, just to look around and visit the beach house/pool. Lots of people down on the beach and in the oceanfront pool. On the way back we stopped at the Dead End Saloon on the bay and had lunch out on the deck ( again in the ocean breeze )..... Old Bay peel and eat shrimp, mussels in garlic cream sauce and a grouper sandwich with sweet potato fries..... home now for a nappy poo...... after that we just don't know yet, maybe stay in and watch TV and relax.... after all, you can't do everything in one week and besides, if my calculations are correct, we have about 30+- years to fit everything in.

Anyway..... as expected, it is simply great to finally be here..... as mentioned before, everyone we come across are just nice people and could not be more friendly, down to earth and helpfull with any questions we have. It has been really hot and humid but we fixed that yesterday afternoon by hanging in the pool just steps from our door.

Later.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 PM

169 posts, read 583,255 times
Default Glad you are here

Things seem to being going well for you, let us know if there is anything we can do for you. b&b
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina