U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 AM

844 posts, read 2,688,869 times

Advertisements

Stoney,

Glad all went well with your move!

m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 12:43 PM

794 posts, read 1,647,931 times
As I sit here in my multi colored, very comfy Nautica ( from the NJ outlet ) bathing suit.... just about to head downstairs with the commandant to the pool as it is another gorgeous day..... I must comment on some earlier comments about the "bad/congested/summer" traffic in the area.....

My question is...... WHAT TRAFFIC ?

We have been all over the area, driving around each day at different times, to the beach, all across Oak Island, up and down the main drag #211, through town on both main arteries..... it is the middle of August and I must repeat.... WHAT TRAFFIC are they talking about ? Everything is moving smoothly everywhere we go, no problem getting parking anywhere we go, no back-ups that we can find in town or going over either bridge to Oak Island and / or out to Route 17 to the Leland shopping areas. This is just our experience..... maybe we're special but we don't see any traffic.

OK, heading down to the pool, which BTW has a covered area with gas grills and an ice machine for our poolside pleasure, it is also the scene of my grilling some fresh local corn for dinner last evening..... the tomatoes and corn were from a local farm stand in Southport by the airport and the tomatoes rivaled the beefsteaks in NJ and the corn was excellent as well.

Later.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 PM

720 posts, read 1,492,947 times
We were in Southport in July------the only "traffic" we experienced was coming from Southport to the 211/Long Beach Rd. intersection, going to the beach--and that was really a minor wait. But we're I95 veterans----now that's insanity. Anything else is a walk in the park.
Miss the beautiful evenings downtown in Southport---been raining night and day here since Sat. Are you having a house built, or are you in your permanent digs now?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:33 PM

Looking for a lot to build.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Another BTW.....

I was informed about a good hot dog ( in particular a Chili Dog ) place on Oak Island by my realtor who happens to be a very nice guy to boot, so I ventured forth to Oak Island and stopped at Bob's Dogs. IMHO, it is an excellent stop. Had two Chili Slaw dogs which I consumed whilst sitting on one of the picnic benches under a tree while watching the crowds go by. A pleasant surprise was a nice warmed up, split top bun ( the kind that they used for Lobster Rolls at the old Howard Johnsons ), with a grilled ( not boiled ) Sabrett type dog and a sweet/spicy chili with cole slaw on the bottom and freshly diced onions ( not sitting in water )..... there were many different varieties of dogs to choose from, but the ones I had were very good.

Last night we went to the San Felipe mexican restaurant in the Lowes food shopping center ( part of over a dozen Mexican restaurants by the same people ). Not terrible and not to die for.... it was along the lines of pretty good chow. Plenty to eat, extensive menu, we had the Shrimp San Felipe, wrapped in bacon in their "special" sauce and Enchiladas verde, there were three, cheese, beef and chicken, all were pretty good and the salsa was served with "warmed" chips, a nice touch. Had a cold and frosty Dos Equis and some cheapish Cabernet.... again, not terrible. The decor is old world dumpy, but that was fine with us. Not expensive at all, good size crowd for Monday night..... all in all quite enjoyable.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-16-2014 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM

OK, a bit more info... maybe TMI.... you decide.....

It was raining off and on yesterday AM so we took a ride over to the SUPER / HUMUNGOUS Walmart on Rt 17 in Leland yesterday ( across from Harris teeter ), precisely 26 miles door to door, not a bad ride at all, clear road, only 2 lights.

Bought two Schwinn, Del Mar bikes, one had a small dent on the fender and the other had a "bit" of rust........ resulting in 10% off them of course making them $107 each. Stuffed them nicely into the trusty CRV and headed back towards Southport, content in the knowledge that we made a good deal. Stopped at the BP station in the Lowes mall in Southport to top off the air in the tires and then went down Long Beach Road a piece towards Oak Island and picked up some more corn and tomatos at the farm stand then on to the next corner at Airport Road to Clem's seafood and picked up a couple of lbs of fresh ( same day ) huge ( and quite delectable ) shrimp for $ 8.99 lb. Excellent dinner last evening. After dinner I fancied myself a bit younger and went for my first ride on the Schwinn....... discovered I'm not as young and spry as I thought....... but had a nice ride around the marina neighborhood anyway...... just got back from my 2nd ride this AM..... leggs a little wobbly but I can see that prolonged use of this two wheeled contraption will obviously get me into extreme pentathalon shape..... or at the very least maybe shed a few lbs. So far, we are on a very nice vacation, nicer and more amenity filled obviously than the Jersey Shore, and we keep reminding ourselves how lucky we are that we don't have to get back on the Garden State Parkway ( AKA the parking lot ) and make that long, arduous trek home.... as we are already "home".

Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM

907 posts, read 1,536,701 times
Nice to see you are settling in well. Sounds like an extended vacation. Just wondering how your accommadations are. I always felt the single family homes were well built to high specs but was unsure on the condos and townhouses. My first move like yours would be to rent but it has been years since I was in a multi unit enviroment. How are the noise, traffic levels and are those units well built?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 AM

This place is built just like a single family home. Very nice place, there is no noise anywhere down here.... ANYWHERE, very peacful and serene. These townhomes are no different, we feel very much alone in the complex, as if we were in a single family, there are of course other people here,I know that because we see their cars outside, but we hardly ever see them.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM

844 posts, read 2,688,869 times
Stoney,.......have you been to the clubs yet? I was reading the SJ Coasting magazine, and there's something which indicates denim is not permitted in the clubs, unless a specific club allows it. I don't know that many places where denim isn't allowed. I can understand a formal dinner type environmental, but breakfast or lunch; what's the scoop? Can you please verify that? Thanks.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 AM

That is correct, no denim allowed at any of the clubs at any time unless a specific event calls for it. I don't see that as any different from the upscale Country Clubs in New Jersey, no denim allowed there either.... at least the ones we have belonged to. That's the dress code and it's only there for one reason, to keep standards up, but in any case that is the rule.... however Tommy Thompsons is different ( I think ) I don't remember looking at anyone there to see if they were wearing denim, but I'll check that out... it's pretty relaxed down there and as a side note it is the only place that serves breakfast in St James.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina