U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 AM

15,181 posts, read 19,239,528 times

Advertisements

Thank you, TexasTim and PonyPride. Enjoy your new homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 AM

794 posts, read 1,647,931 times
It should be noted that the "hurricane type" of insurances are only required by a bank or mortgage company to insure their loan..... if there is no mortgage on the house these insurances are not required.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 AM

15,181 posts, read 19,239,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
It should be noted that the "hurricane type" of insurances are only required by a bank or mortgage company to insure their loan..... if there is no mortgage on the house these insurances are not required.
Are you Suggesting that those coverages aren't necessary in SouthPort?

Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 AM

383 posts, read 747,277 times
You should have wind and hail in St. James. Most of these coverages come with a deductable that is a percentage of the home value. I believe in most cases it is 1 or 2%. Because of the frequency of tropical storms or hurricanes, most insurance companies will not write insurance in this area. Thus, the State of Carolina put a program in place where the Farm Bureau underwrites the insurance and thus the higher deductable. If you are not in the flood plain areas of St. James you don't have to purchase flood insurance.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:41 AM

794 posts, read 1,647,931 times
This is what I am told by almost everyone I meet.... as I am preparing to build a house myself here in St James in the next few months, that is a subject I bring up with everyone we come into contact with. Unless I am speaking to a select bunch of folks, and I do not believe I am, the concensus seems to be that this expensive "wind and hail" insurance is not being gotten by the residents that have been here in St James for many years. The same with "flood" insurance...... if the property that I am building on is not in a flood zone ( 50 year OR 100 year )... and it is not..... AND it the area has never flooded.... AND it has not..... AND it is 51 ft above sea level.... then I do not see the reasoning for having any type of flood insurance either. But that's just me.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:10 PM

I agree that St. James is not subject to major flooding. Even last year when the area got 23 inches of rain, they were ok. Wind and hail is another story. They have experienced many Cat 1 storms and it does not take much to uproot the pine trees and have them fall on your house. They also get hail and on person I met had to have their roof replaced. Bottom lines is that it depends how adverse you are to risk. I am conservative and like to have piece of mind, but if you finance your dwelling, you will not have a choice and insurance will be required.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:22 AM

111 posts, read 208,906 times
And do you really think that that the two remaining insurance underwriters could even financially keep their heads above water if a Cat4 or 5 trounces this area, you're dreaming. I feel sorry for the mortgaged home owners that require it. Just ask the people of New Orleans and the surrounding area, my wife and I visited there a few years ago and it seemed like half the "insured" homeowners we talked to never received a nickle. And sure the "government" is supposed to cover those insurance losses but get real, after the recent string of natural disasters ("natural" that's a whole nother story) will have the financial wherewithal or stomach to help

The day my insurance carrier denied me any discount after installing Miami/Dade county approved storm shutters at a cost to me of $7,000 was the day I told them to shove it. It's been 5 years now and yes I know that the money I saved might not cover major damage but that's the chance I'm taking.

Ron W.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:03 AM

rj surfer,

I am not advocating insurance, but stated it depends on how adverse to risk as to whether you carry it or not. It is a personal decision. No doubt many Katrina storm residents got the shaft from their insurance companies. Unfortunately if you finance a property, the bank will want protection against loss on the property and carrying insurance will be a requirement and not an option.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 AM

On another topic,

For those of you who have built in St. James, what builder did you use and why did you choose them?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:59 PM

473 posts, read 491,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
On another topic,

For those of you who have built in St. James, what builder did you use and why did you choose them?

This ought to be interesting because almost everyone I asked was very pleased with their builder. Almost no negative feedback that I heard.
I'm curious to find out if there are any less than positive experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina