U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 02:01 PM

907 posts, read 1,533,972 times

Advertisements

I was down that way last week on my golfing "mancation". Drove by SJP on my way to the Bald Head Island ferry to play that course. All the help (starter, rangers, etc) were all SJP residents and spoke how they love the community. One commented that a friend in Ocean Ridge was complaining that they couldn't get T-times as there were too many "day golfers". Played Rivers Edge where the help (starters, rangers etc) were all from Ocean Ridge and when I mentioned SJP they said it was too remote and RT 211 gets backed up for miles. They also claimed that Sunset Beach is nicer than Oak Island. Neither were harsh on the other community. I saw it as pride in the one they chose to live in. Over at Sandpiper Bay the starter was from Sea Trial and he was very concerned about the bankrupcy and the conditions of the courses there.

I am still 5 years out and SJP and OR are my top two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 02:39 PM

794 posts, read 1,645,106 times
Once again I'll have to put in my two cents about a "suggested" traffic back-up on Rt 211..... we have yet to see ANY traffic anywhere we go down here through the entire months of August and September.

As far as builders go..... Gene, you are correct, after speaking with people that have had at least 10 different builders building their respective homes, I have not come across ANYONE that had anything less than glowing reports about "their" builder..... in fact each of the people commented on how well "their guy" walked on water.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:54 PM

383 posts, read 746,331 times
I never see traffic backups on Rt 211 and I laugh about the fact that Sunset Beach is nicer. Have you ever had to go over that right angle bridge to get there. If you are afraid of heights you will never make it to the sand, LOL. Also both Winding River and Rivers Edge have very limited parking at the beach clubs. The SJP beach club is second to none. As soon as I build my house at SJP, the beach will be my prime destination.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:49 PM

OK, tidbit time..... great weekend, on Saturday and Sunday Southport hosted the big Mackerel Tournament at the Southport Marina, the prizes were a total of $70,000, the big prize was for a 43 lb Mackeral.

On Sunday afternoon we went down to the Old American Fish Company - Southport, NC (http://www.oldamericanfishcompany.com/home - broken link) ( just drinks and music ) on the water near the Provision Company - Southport Waterfront Restaurant with a bunch from SJP to watch the hundreds of tournament entries coming into the bay with their catch.... they would all hold up their prize beauties to a round of applause and screaming as they went by on their way into the marina..... a nice time with a panoramice view of the entire bay as a backdrop. Walked over to the marina to watch the weigh-ins, live band, beer, etc.... quite a large crowd. Then we walked back over to the Restaurant | Southport, NC for the second time in two nights for another great meal with our new friends Ken Keegan - Southport, NC Real Estate Agent, Homes for Sale in Brunswick County North Carolina .... open air, right on the water with the boats going by, great atmosphere as the sun was going down in the strong bay breeze. Scarffed down large quantities of great chow.... mussels fra diablo, eggplant parm with ziti, a stuffed portobello mushroom thing, blackened tuna over a caesar salad, home made cannolis to die for..... Chef Billie the owner really outdid himself once again. But don't worry, all of the above was on the diet side of the menu and they assured us that Chef Billie takes great pains to keep the calorie level down in those dishes ! Can't say enough about the great atmosphere and ambience at the waterfront in Southport..... really nicer than we had envisioned before getting here.

After that we went back to Tommy Thompsons for a couple of drinks, cigars and a bit more cavorting and chuckling with the crowd there, it got a bit chilly after dark but that didn't stop the live band and folks dancing, everyone just put on their sweatshirts and caps and continued on in what I am told is "the St James spirit"...... quite a nice time..... very happy to be here.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:21 PM

572 posts, read 1,413,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
I never see traffic backups on Rt 211 and I laugh about the fact that Sunset Beach is nicer. Have you ever had to go over that right angle bridge to get there. If you are afraid of heights you will never make it to the sand, LOL. Also both Winding River and Rivers Edge have very limited parking at the beach clubs. The SJP beach club is second to none. As soon as I build my house at SJP, the beach will be my prime destination.
There's no height difference between either of the Oak Island bridges and the bridge at Sunset Beach. Also, Sunset Beach is generally regarded as the nicest (and most expensive real estate) in Brunswick County and Oak Island is the undisputed worst beach in Brunswick County. Oak Island is the only barrier island in Brunswick County with a substantial amount of mobile homes. There are dozens within walking distance of the St James beach club. Try walking up northeast 67th where the beach club is located after dark without a gun and see if you can make it to the waterway without becoming the victim of a crime. And if you've never seen traffic backed up on 211 then you've never been there during the summer. There is absolutely no way to drive from the St James marina to the beach club on Oak Island in less than 20 minutes during summer daylight hours and it's less than 8 miles. It's pretty normal for cars to back up 40 or 50 deep on 211 waiting on the light to go to Oak Island. Next time I'm down there I'll snap some pictures of that intersection and some of the lovely housing just north of the beach club. St James is a nice subdivision but don't confuse that with Oak Island which is the redneck capital of Brunswick County.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Timetotravel..... I dunno.... I made the trip over to Oak Island at least 15 times in August and September.... and all in the daylight hours too.... didn't get caught in any traffic on the way to either bridge... and of course there is just about ZERO traffic on the road to the new bridge. As far as 20 minutes to go the 8 miles, yep I guess that's about right, that's pretty good moving if you ask me. Also, as far as waiting in line for a couple of extra minutes "sometimes" for the light to change on the intersection of 211 and Long Beach Road, if you call that traffic..... sorry, but that's not traffic in my book. I just do not see the traffic / back-ups that you are suggesting anywhere we go down here.

Ahem.... in addition, as far as suggesting that all of the people on Oak Island are red necks AND needing a gun to get around over there... in addition to simply not being true..... I guess that just proves what a classy guy you are, but that's just my opinion based on your ridiculously prejudiced statement...... no offense meant of course !

We're leaving now to go on that long and tedious 15 to 20 minute trek over to Oak Island for dinner at I think Turtle Island with another lovely couple from around the corner here at St James..... I hope we make it home alive.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM

720 posts, read 1,491,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
There's no height difference between either of the Oak Island bridges and the bridge at Sunset Beach. Also, Sunset Beach is generally regarded as the nicest (and most expensive real estate) in Brunswick County and Oak Island is the undisputed worst beach in Brunswick County. Oak Island is the only barrier island in Brunswick County with a substantial amount of mobile homes. There are dozens within walking distance of the St James beach club. Try walking up northeast 67th where the beach club is located after dark without a gun and see if you can make it to the waterway without becoming the victim of a crime. And if you've never seen traffic backed up on 211 then you've never been there during the summer. There is absolutely no way to drive from the St James marina to the beach club on Oak Island in less than 20 minutes during summer daylight hours and it's less than 8 miles. It's pretty normal for cars to back up 40 or 50 deep on 211 waiting on the light to go to Oak Island. Next time I'm down there I'll snap some pictures of that intersection and some of the lovely housing just north of the beach club. St James is a nice subdivision but don't confuse that with Oak Island which is the redneck capital of Brunswick County.
Well, I'll add my 2 cents to this. We've been coming to Oak Island and Southport since 1989 and while I agree that the traffic at 211/Long Beach Rd. westbound is heavy later in the afternoon, 40-50 cars is an exaggeration.

The mobile home section of Oak Island, is , for the most part, a decent looking area. I can't speak to the "walking up 67th St/crime victim" aspect. It's not my habit to wander alone in dark, secluded areas. Anywhere.

What exactly does the redneck appellation mean as relates to OI? The beach is clean, quiet, attractive, and we have never encountered anything but normal acting beach goers. (in 22 years) No cursing, no drunkeness, no blaring radios. Just friendly, helpful people enjoying the beach. What do you mean?
I believe OI was established by Mr. Middleton as a place the "average Joe" could enjoy the shore, hence the design and the small lots. Is this a bad thing? "Redneck Riviera" denotes trashy, vulgar types to me.
Of course, this is just my opinion.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 PM

78 posts, read 169,892 times
We were at SJP july 19 - 25. We drove to the beach club everyday.We were amazed at the lack of traffic in the mornings and afternoons,weekday and weekend. Everyone at the beach seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM

OK.... just got back from Oak Island where we had a very nice assortment of seafood at a full house at Turtle Island amongst a bunch of the nicest people, many from St James. I must report that we got back safely with no incidents or encounters with knife / gun totin' types...... and no traffic.... methinks "someone" just might be in need of a reality check.... just maybe.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM

572 posts, read 1,413,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Timetotravel..... I dunno.... I made the trip over to Oak Island at least 15 times in August and September.... and all in the daylight hours too.... didn't get caught in any traffic on the way to either bridge... and of course there is just about ZERO traffic on the road to the new bridge. As far as 20 minutes to go the 8 miles, yep I guess that's about right, that's pretty good moving if you ask me. Also, as far as waiting in line for a couple of extra minutes "sometimes" for the light to change on the intersection of 211 and Long Beach Road, if you call that traffic..... sorry, but that's not traffic in my book. I just do not see the traffic / back-ups that you are suggesting anywhere we go down here.

Ahem.... in addition, as far as suggesting that all of the people on Oak Island are red necks AND needing a gun to get around over there... in addition to simply not being true..... I guess that just proves what a classy guy you are, but that's just my opinion based on your ridiculously prejudiced statement...... no offense meant of course !

We're leaving now to go on that long and tedious 15 to 20 minute trek over to Oak Island for dinner at I think Turtle Island with another lovely couple from around the corner here at St James..... I hope we make it home alive.
I didn't say that you needed a gun to get around Oak Island. I said you'd need one to safely walk from the St James beach club to the waterway after dark. And I didn't say that everybody on Oak Island was a redneck. I said that Oak Island was a redneck beach because it is.

I simply responded to the post claiming that traffic on 211 never gets backed up (because it definately does, I work there so I know) and the absurd idea that Oak Island is even in the same ballpark as Sunset Beach (because its not even close). My opinion doesn't make me classy or unclassy. It's an observation based on what I see with my own two eyes. Oh and my statement isn't prejudice. It's observation. Saying that rednecks live on Oak Island is (observation) and way different than saying I hate rednecks (which would be prejudice).

Now is Oak Island redneck? Uh yea it is.........

120 Northeast 16th Street, Oak Island NC | MLS# 659001 - Trulia

238 Northeast 69th Street, Oak Island NC | MLS# 655116 - Trulia

131 Northeast 75th Street, Oak Island NC | MLS# 649556 - Trulia

Oh here ya go, same street as the beach club.............

* 249 Northeast 67th Street, Oak Island NC | MLS# 657127 - Trulia

419 Sherrill Avenue, Oak Island NC | MLS# 468275 - Trulia

221 Northeast 68th Street, Oak Island NC | MLS# 651772 - Trulia

I could list another 25 but you get the point. Check this out though. A nice news article about an Oak Island resident. Enjoy......

"Teen Mom 2" focuses on Oak Island family | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News

FIRST ON 3: Oak Island's "Teen Mom 2" star Jenelle Evans arrested for marijuana possession | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News

Now you can hate on my opinion all you want but I call that redneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina