U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-15-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville
160 posts, read 691,473 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
Landfall? Did you read my post?
Yes I read your post. You asked me to name a subdivision within 30 miles that was superior to St James. I said Landfall because it clearly is superior. I'm not disputing that St James isn't a nice subdivision, I'm disputing your claim that's it's the nicest in the area when that simply isn't the case. Value is determined by what someone will pay and they pay anywhere from 50% to 200% more in Landfall than they do in St James for a comparable property. That's a market fact. (and I just got scolded for supposedly failing to post market facts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2009, 04:23 PM
 
214 posts, read 728,001 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGT View Post
I'm not sure what your beef is with me. I've simply stated that I disagree with St James attempting to annex it's neighbors. As for my knowledge of the real estate market in Southport, it's extensive and probably surpasses yours. Just because you may disagree with me over the St James annexation issue is no reason to insult my knowledge of the local real estate market or dismiss my opinion as irrelavant. If you've found something "speculative" or lacking "market facts" in any of my posts, by all means make me aware. I'll be more than happy to discuss it.
Please be advised I do not have a beef with you what so ever, don't have the time for it, however, since you don't live here, what is YOUR beef with the area, and why are you even posting on this thread if you cannot defend your remarks with actual facts? Your posts are merely opinions and you are coming across as an expert, how absurd, what are your credentials to base your statements upon? So curious, but not really, because much of what you have posted has been challenged by those who do live here, nuff said. I never said I agreed or disagreed with the St. James annexation, obviously you need glasses or did not read my post.
I guess everyone is wondering WHY you are posting on matters that you have little knowledge of, and what is your objective? In other words where are you coming from, and why? Nothing better to do with your time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville
160 posts, read 691,473 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
Please be advised I do not have a beef with you what so ever, don't have the time for it, however, since you don't live here, what is YOUR beef with the area, and why are you even posting on this thread if you cannot defend your remarks with actual facts? Your posts are merely opinions and you are coming across as an expert, how absurd, what are your credentials to base your statements upon? So curious, but not really, because much of what you have posted has been challenged by those who do live here, nuff said. I never said I agreed or disagreed with the St. James annexation, obviously you need glasses or did not read my post.
I guess everyone is wondering WHY you are posting on matters that you have little knowledge of, and what is your objective? In other words where are you coming from, and why? Nothing better to do with your time?
Twice now you have stated that I have little or no knowledge of the real estate market in the Southport area yet I'm still waiting for an example. I post on this site because I can offer my knowledge to people who post questions about the area. If you don't like what I post here, so be it. But quit insulting me or give me some specific example of something I have posted concerning the market that's untrue or not factual so I can respond to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Long Island NY
455 posts, read 475,356 times
Reputation: 246
Aside from the bickering going on, I'd like to know more about Landfall.
I've seen St James and think that it's a complete package. From what I've seen on the Landfall
website, it doesn't look like it has better amenities than St James. Can the higher
real estate values be from it's proximity to the city of Wilmington(Location, Location,Location)?
Or is there something that I didn't see on the website?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 AM
 
214 posts, read 728,001 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Aside from the bickering going on, I'd like to know more about Landfall.
I've seen St James and think that it's a complete package. From what I've seen on the Landfall
website, it doesn't look like it has better amenities than St James. Can the higher
real estate values be from it's proximity to the city of Wilmington(Location, Location,Location)?
Or is there something that I didn't see on the website?
Landfall can best be described as an "exclusive" enclave and community, with the same amenities as ST. James, however, due to it's proximity to Wilmington, it tends to attract those who are seeking a more City life versus Coastal life.
One will be paying higher taxes in New Hanover than Brunswick, hence the reason so many have relocated to Brunswick County. It really will all depend on what type of "lifestyle" you are seeking, and how close you wish to be to Wilmington.
If there are specific questions that have not been answered for you regarding LF, then DM me directly, or post them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 25,782,928 times
Reputation: 14519
FWIW , Landfall is not "close to" Wilmington, it is in Wilmington.

And yes, its proximity to things like Mayfaire, Wrightsville Beach, downtown Wilmington, and Airlie Gardens are reflected in its prices, in case you ever want to leave the gates and associate with all the commoners. It probably doesn't hurt that Dennis Hopper owns a lot out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville
160 posts, read 691,473 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Aside from the bickering going on, I'd like to know more about Landfall.
I've seen St James and think that it's a complete package. From what I've seen on the Landfall
website, it doesn't look like it has better amenities than St James. Can the higher
real estate values be from it's proximity to the city of Wilmington(Location, Location,Location)?
Or is there something that I didn't see on the website?
The primary difference between St James and Landfall is location. Both are golf course communities located on the Intracoastal Waterway and are similar in size but Landfall is inside the city limits, is walking distance to the ocean and is in close proximity to shopping, dining and entertainment. St James has a more rural location and requires a 30+ minute drive to get to conveniences like a shopping mall, auto dealership, or modern movie theatre. The downside to Landfall is the property prices. The average home price in St James is just over $400,000 but Landfall has an average home price exceeding $600,000. Similarly, a waterway home in St James can be purchased for around $800,000 to $1,000,000 with a similar home in Landfall bringing $2,500,000 to $4,000,000.

As for tax rates, Landfall and St James are almost identical. New Hanover County (0.42) has a significantly less tax rate than Brunswick County (0.5925) but the City of Wilmington (0.30) has a higher tax rate than the town of St James (0.10). Effectively Landfall residents pay a 0.72 tax rate and St James pays 0.6925. That's a difference of about $150 a year on a $500,000 home and probably wouldn't be a financial factor for someone considering a home purchase in that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 25,782,928 times
Reputation: 14519
Interesting points, NCGT. I had always assumed Brunswick had cheaper taxes than New Hanover, I never realized its the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville
160 posts, read 691,473 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Interesting points, NCGT. I had always assumed Brunswick had cheaper taxes than New Hanover, I never realized its the other way around.
It's a common myth and most people assume New Hanover County has a higher tax rate because it has a much higher population density. Brunswick County had a lower tax rate than New Hanover County several years ago but after the huge property value bubble of 2005/2006 both counties had new property value assessments. New Hanover elected to make the new assessment revenue neutral which lowered the county tax rate. Brunswick kept the same tax rate after their new assessment which some people argue is partially responsible for the high foreclosure rates in Brunswick County. Although St James is right in line with Wilmington, places like Southport are paying a combined city/county rate of 0.9925 which is about 30% more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
 
214 posts, read 728,001 times
Reputation: 128
Default Tax rates for New Hanover and Brunswick Counties

For tax rates in New Hanover County go to www.nhcgov.com. For Brunswick county go to www.Brunsco.net.
There you will be able to find public information to make a more informed decision.
Actually taxes are far higher in NH than BC, but where one decides to purchase or reside is really based on your personal inclinations.
I attempted to copy and post, however, it did not copy correctly.
Normally BC reassesses taxes every 4 years, NH may reassess every year.
And no it wasn't the taxes that caused foreclosures in either county, this has been a very prevalent occurence across the country, no matter where one lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top