U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 01:45 PM

794 posts, read 1,648,792 times

Advertisements

JK, it's definitely your kind of crowd, just a nice bunch everywhere we go..... AND at Tommy Thompson's, a glass of house wine is $6 ..... a bottle of Bud is $2.75..... each day also has drink specials and half price bottles of wine on Tuesdays. Now we have to get going over to the Members' Club for 4:30, the street where we bought our lot is having their monthly get-together for drinks and dinner and we don't want to be late..... it never stops.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 11-20-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 04:52 AM

844 posts, read 2,689,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
No.... anyone can use the clubhouses and restaurants.
Stoney,

Just when I thought I had the fees figured out.....now I'm confused again.

There are no club fees? I thought this was the fee structure:
2011 Fees Schedule*
Signature Membership Deposit (80% Refundable)** $30,000
Signature Membership Initiation Fee (Non-Refundable)** $15,000
Activation Fee (If Applicable) $ 5,000
Application Processing Fee (Resale Only) $ 500
Lessee Designation Fee $ 350
Handicap Fee (Social and Tennis Member) $ 35
Membership Card Replacement Fee $ 20
Annual Food and Beverage Minimum Residents $ 600
Annual Food and Beverage Minimum Non-Residents $ 200

So I don't need to pay fees to use the clubhouses (other than the annual food & beverage minimum)

Thank you

Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 AM

Marc.... yes all those fees apply..... however, when I said "anyone can use the clubhouses and restaurants" is also correct. One does not need to have a "membership" of any kind to go to the restaurants, which are in the clubhouses, that is what "I" mean by using the clubhouses and restaurants.

One must have a membership of "some kind" ( the only one available right now is the Signature Membership ) to use the exercise facilities, clubhouse pools and/or tennis. One does not actually need to have a "membership" to play golf, your tee times are restricted but one can play golf, but in addition to using the exercise facilities, pools, new seaside club and tennis..... a membership allows one to have more tee time availabiltiy and join the golf association. Not condoning it, just trying to explain it.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 AM

844 posts, read 2,689,511 times
Got it I think. Only fee for food is the annual minimums
Thanks again

Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 AM

You'll also have to cut me some slack on the golf stuff.... we've been here a little over three full months and haven't taken our clubs out of the storage unit yet, unlike some it is not real high on our priority list of things to do ( they tell me that over 60% of the residents here do not EVER play golf ) ..... we enjoy golf on occasion but we have not felt the urge as of yet, maybe we'll play next week as we were invited last night by some of our new neighbors at the Members Club dinner / get-together ( which BTW was a very nice event, another nice bunch of folks )..... 72 degrees right now and full sunshine with a nice breeze so we're puttin' the top down and headin' out over to Oak Island ( with our bullet proof vests at the ready of course ) and down to the beach club to take a leisurely stroll on the beach with a nice Macanudo Baron de Rothchild in hand...... all the while watchin' somebody ( I'm sure ) playing frisbee with their dog......... still tryin' to cope with the stress down here !

Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 PM

15,183 posts, read 19,252,163 times
So let me understand this, please. We are not golfers. If I purchase a home in SJP and I want to use the community pool, exercise room or tennis courts, I have to pay these fees IN ADDITION to the annual POA fee and (if applicable) condo fee?

Signature Membership Deposit (80% Refundable)** $30,000
Signature Membership Initiation Fee (Non-Refundable)** $15,000
Activation Fee (If Applicable) $ 5,000

Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Yes, that is correct... I would call the 800 number for St James and have them give you a nice long detailed explaination of all the fees and how it works..... that's what they are there for in the St James sales office.... then you'll have it from the horses mouth.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 PM

15,183 posts, read 19,252,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Yes, that is correct... I would call the 800 number for St James and have them give you a nice long detailed explaination of all the fees and how it works..... that's what they are there for in the St James sales office.... then you'll have it from the horses mouth.
Actually, if it's going to cost us $45-$50 grand just to use the pools and exercise rooms, we'll be looking elsewhere, I'm sorry to say. (We're not golfers.)

Maybe I'm missing something here? (Yes, I realize that 80% of the $30K deposit is refundable.)

Our trip to visit is in late Feb/early March and we absolutely intended to consider SJP, but not if this is accurate. It just doesn't make financial sense to someone who doesn't play golf - unless I'm missing something?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 PM

11,327 posts, read 19,982,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It just doesn't make financial sense to someone who doesn't play golf - unless I'm missing something?
I agree it doesn't make sense if you just use the pools. Perhaps it's like some South Carolina areas, where the club membership is commonly included in the price of a re-sale house and transferred with it. I would definitely check with the developers.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Well..... there goes my stress level again ( not really ). Let me begin by saying very calmly that I like this forum and going back and forth about St James and the area.... and maybe even genuinely helping someone a little bit along the way. AND I must also say that I do not own St James nor do I run the place in any way.... it has in fact been running very successfully for almost 20 years before I came into view. Having said that, I will remind everyone that the name of this forum is " Thoughts or information on St James Plantation "..... the name is NOT thoughts or "ridiculous MIS-information". Where the heck did anyone get the absolutely crazy figure of $45 - $50 grand ???? That's a new on on me, I can assure you that I did not pay anywhere near that, never heard of that figure before..... it's completely incorrect and not based in any fact.

This forum can be helpful AND fun but the only way anyone can actually choose a "place" to actually retire to is to go there in person and decide for themselves.... the only way to get a 100% accurate picture of ANY plantations' fee schedule and what you get for it at a place that "you may spend the rest of your life in" is ...... yep you guessed it, call them yourself and get the correct info explained to you right from the horses mouth so that there is no question of how it works.... and then get it sent to you in writing ( as we and thousands of others did )...... so you can actually digest it. After looking, in person, at quite a few other plantations down South, we ( my wife and I ) decided that St James was the nicest place with the most amenities that WE had seen, WE are very happy here and confident in the choice we made. There are over 150 new homes under construction here at this moment, not so in the others in the area.... that would not be so if the fee schedules were as outlandish as some might be suggesting..... especially that $45 - $50 grand suggestion. But St James isn't for everyone. There are tens of thousands of people living in other plantations in the immediate area..... those places should be considered too.... it's all according to what your wants and needs are.

One must remember that some of the plantations down here, like ocean Ridge and St James, are country club-like places.... in the case of St James, it is an extremely nice country club-like place. As such, it has country club amenities that most of the others do not...... it is not simply houses on winding streets. To maintain the number of clubhouses, each having it's own REALLY nice full service restaurant, the marina, Tommy Thompson's, beach club, etc, etc,.... costs money, therefore the fee schedule. I can only say that after looking at others, this place IMHO ranks at the top in all the aforementioned categories.... INCLUDING the fee shedule...... AND it's financial condition ( you have to watch that too ) but all that is only pertinent if that is the type of atmosphere you are looking for..... if you simply want a house on a street and a pool to dip in occasionally, them perhaps St James or places like it are not for you..... there are MANY places that might fit that bill..... but you can only decide that from doing your own REAL investigation by getting the info straight from the plantation and if that meets your criteria, visiting in person..... that's what we did....... not by throwing eroneous numbers around..... if those ridulous numbers were correct...... this place would not be flourishing like it is. If I sound like a cheerleader for St James..... sorry, we love it and the people here.

BTW, the stroll on the beach today was just lovely..... the cigar was great and YES there were a few people playing frisbee with their dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina