U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 PM

11,323 posts, read 19,956,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Where the heck did anyone get the absolutely crazy figure of $45 - $50 grand ????
Stoney - The figure came from adding together the fees Marc515 quoted, as follows:

Signature Membership Deposit (80% Refundable)** $30,000
Signature Membership Initiation Fee (Non-Refundable)** $15,000
Activation Fee (If Applicable) $ 5,000

How else should we interpret them? Yes, I understand it's a country club, but people have to get the facts before they visit, not just the romance about smoking cigars on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 PM

794 posts, read 1,646,908 times
OK, so I'll be kind ..... and say that marc15's list AND your "interpretation" of it was not accurate.

The club membership initiation fee is as follows....

The $30K ( 80% refundable ) "option" is just that, an "option" for the initiation fee that is almost never taken.

The $15K ( non-refundable ) is the initiation fee to join the club membership..... the option that is almost always taken.

You do not add them together, it is "ONE" of the above "options"... not both. We paid $15K... payable $5K per year over 3 years.

The $ 5K application fee is rare, I understand it is on certain older resale properties where a club membership was not originally taken out by the owner..... but this fee is not very often applicable.

The above fees do not need to be "interpreted" ..... that is what they actually are...... they are spelled out clearly in the package St James will be happy to send to anyone that inquires...... as far as money, costs and fees for someplace that one is thinking of spending the rest of their life in, I would once again respectfully caution someone to investigate right from the source ( St James ) rather than posts ( however well meaning ) on an anonymous internet forum..... before making that big of a decision..... as far as romance and cigars go, fortunately they are still a big part of my life and I intend to keep them there as long as possible.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:53 PM

15,167 posts, read 19,221,592 times
Can take the romance and stub out the cigar? Stonecreek, well said - and thanks for the reminder.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 AM

11,323 posts, read 19,956,901 times
Thanks for the explanation of the fees.

I hope you keep the cigar at the beach, but did I read that you can smoke cigars at Tommy Thompson's?

Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 AM

Well, as far as smoking a "legally" bought, sold and taxed tobacco product like, say for instance, a cigar..... in an area "legally" designated for just that purpose..... the "laws" governing such behavior are quite clear in each state. The legally designated area for smoking ANY legally sold tobacco product in North Carolina is....... "OUTDOORS"....... which encompasses a pretty wide range of places. So I would suggest to anyone fortunate enough to be visiting North Carolina ( Southport in particular ) that they should be prepared to witness and perhaps even be in close proximity to such behavior by patriotic, law abiding citizens exercizing their rights in that legally designated outdoor area.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:55 AM

471 posts, read 491,485 times
There is also the possibility of buying a lot or house resale where the cost of the membership is included in the purchase price.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 AM

Yes, there is that possibility..... but from speaking to many people and realtors here, that situation is also rare and when it does happen it becomes like everything else.... a negotiation as part of the sale..... sellers here are just like everywhere else and do not want to give anything up very easily..... but it does exist.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:39 PM

383 posts, read 746,969 times
Default SJP Fees

We bought a lot in the Reserve and will build in 2012. I like to Golf but an not an fanatic and we like the pool and beach. What we are going to do is use the pool down by St James by the Sea, use our Golds Gym membership down there in either Wilmington or Schlotte and when we want to golf, we will pay the higher rate and utilize afternoon tee times. We can also use the eating facilities. All this can be done without membership, which is great since we will not be full time residents.

Stone,

Where did you get the bullet proof vest for your trip to Oak Island, LOL. I think it is one of the nicest places in the area.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Pony.... I also think Oak Island is pretty nice, we go over there to eat and play all the time..... I ordered the vest, pre-owned, from Hong Kong, just in case those gun totin' marauders TIMEY was talkin' about ever really materialize. We went over there to the beach again today, just lovely weather right now..... the new back entrance on Midway Road to the new bridge makes it very easy.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 PM

78 posts, read 170,013 times
Stonecreek
Have you noticed any progress on the Lowes food store on the corner of Supply and Midway? When we were there last summer it looked like they were putting roads in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina