U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 PM

169 posts, read 511,424 times

Advertisements

" the City of Wilmington (0.30) has a higher tax rate than the town of St James (0.10)"

The tax rate for St. James is .05 not .10

I never considered Landfall since I didn't want to live in Wilmington. If you say it's nicer I'll take your word for it, but still. Landfall has one country club and 45 holes of golf. St. James has four country clubs and 81 holes of golf including a Nicholas Design, a full service Marina with dry stack storage, 8 swimming pools, 2 fitness centers, and a beach club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,918,649 times
Default St James Plantation vs Ocean Ridge Plantation

Living in New Jersey now but starting to research and start planning for next phase of life. What are the pros and cons of these two developments? I have visited both and they both look very nice and have nice amenities, I do like the beaches better at Sunset Beach than Oak Island but the Beach House at St James has a pool. Wonder why the beach house of Ocean Ridge doesn't have one?

Any insights or reccomendations and tyhoughts to share??

Thank You

Old 11-23-2009, 06:15 AM

455 posts, read 475,444 times
I have visited both this past year. The builder of Ocean Ridge (and Rivers Edge and a couple of others) may have over extended themselves and have financial difficulties. I also liked Winding River.
It has a nice beach house too. My preference is St James because of Tommy Thompson's in the marina. It is becoming a nice center of town type social area.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 PM

18 posts, read 42,897 times
Default Sat James EU

St James consideres themselves the 90210 of that area. Gated community, getting it's own zip code and hates the fact that those of us who live on Oak Island across the Cape Fear River can see them. Unless you want to be a snob, don't live there. Overpriced at best. Move to Southport, Oak Island or Kuri Beach area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeker1 View Post
Can anyone give me your thoughtsn or information on St James planataion. We went to a southern living show and spoke to their rep. It sure sounded good but looking at their web site I get the impression it might be a little pricey and "uppity". Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM

You sound very bitter, perhaps you should move to St. James where people are outgoing, friendly, and have community pride. It might bring you out of your shell

Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 AM

My wife and I have lived in St. James for the last 6 years and they have been the best years of our lives. We were seeking a town with a true sense of community and St. James has that in spades. Our neighbors and friends have been a source of joy and the town itself a source of pride. Let me know if there is anything you need to know about St. James.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,918,649 times
Thank you

email jtf51irish@aol.com

Old 12-10-2009, 01:14 PM

76 posts, read 334,816 times
Does St. James have any future plans for building shopping centers, doctors offices, movie theatres, restaurants?? That was the reason we chose not to pay the extra Hoa fees there when we moved here 15 years ago, and they still don't have any of those. I just don't understand why they never considered making it a self sufficient town, like Crowfield Plantation in Goose Creek, Sc.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 PM

The developer clearly has plans to provide more shopping options, but I don't know what they are. Tommy Thompsons restaurant (at the marina) has been very successful for a business that is inside "the gates". The grocery store next door has not done as well.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 PM

I might add to that (though I hate to admit it) Ocean ridge is much closer to decent bagels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina