U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM

14,783 posts, read 18,391,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Well ponester.... I would have to venture a guess that the pool rooms in our homes ( and others ), coupled with the serene setting of St James and the lovely personel available here, might just be infinitley more pleasant and desirable than hanging in some public pool hall for 6 hrs per day, every day, in Wilmington ( or some other big city, the likes of which I have just recently and deliberately escaped from ) but maybe I'm wrong.
Different strokes for different folks - as always. DH spent 5 hours in a nice, clean Wilmington pool hall this afternoon, happily shooting pool with a variety of people. And we're still going to look! at the Triangle.

What is unexplainable to me is why the residents of SJP feel the need to justify their choice, as though any OTHER choice is second rate. I don't get that attitude at all. It's a lovely community with many things to offer - but the location simply doesn't work for a lot of people. That's fair and reasonable for all. No need to be so defensive, guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 AM

783 posts, read 1,601,098 times
OK.... BUT, there's a couple of BUTS'...... what's unexplainable to me is why a "few" people have to always justify "their" position by insisting that so many others also find this "fatal flaw" in the location.... for instance, the numbers, over 1800 homes built here right now ( many times the number of homes in any other community anywhere in the area ) with approx 175 new homes under construction at the moment..... we've been here for 6 months, go to umpteen affairs, gatherings, nightly outings at Tommy's and the other watering holes here, interact with those same umpteen people on a regular basis that are quite happy here and also at the other communities in the area ( which brings the number up to probably over 15,000 people in the communities ) and someone "drives thru" for 90 minutes and "just happens" upon two residents that absolutely hate their life here and want to move because of the location.... it's like when you send someone to your favorite restaurant where you see the same people for years and they didn't like it and then they say they met others at the restaurant who also didn't like it...... the other but ( from the ladies in the group we had dinner with last evening ) if someone knows that Southport is 45 minutes from Wilmington and the nearest pool hall AND has already established that 45 minutes is too far to live from the nearest pool hall then why in the world would that person drive the 45 minutes all the way out to Southport to look at St James when they know already that the ONE pre-requisite that is written in stone has already been established ... namely it's location ! Why take that drive when it didn't meet the very first requirement ? Why go and waste that time and trip ? Actually, I thought they were pretty good questions myself, wish I had thought of them.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

1,888 posts, read 2,573,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Different strokes for different folks - as always. DH spent 5 hours in a nice, clean Wilmington pool hall this afternoon, happily shooting pool with a variety of people. And we're still going to look! at the Triangle.

What is unexplainable to me is why the residents of SJP feel the need to justify their choice, as though any OTHER choice is second rate. I don't get that attitude at all. It's a lovely community with many things to offer - but the location simply doesn't work for a lot of people. That's fair and reasonable for all. No need to be so defensive, guys.

you are NOT going to win this fight , they have the biggest cheerleader
available . I have at times thought it almost desperate , almost a fear that
SJP will go the same way as other plantations.

I wish you luck in finding the perfect place !

Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Cheerlead ??? Of course, I really like the place.... much like others that like where they live and cheerlead that place.

BUT... St James going the same way as other plantations ?? What way would that be I wonder ?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM

BTW caco.... an existing house was not an option for us, for several reasons.... one is that we're pretty particular about the design and what's inside. We purchased a lot that is big enough ( just over 1/2 acre ) that would not limit my design.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM

383 posts, read 730,492 times
Stone can't be a cheerleader. His legs are to hairy. No one has looked, analyzed, and saw as many communities and houses as my wife and I have. We actually chose SJP for the location and the beautiful landscaping and amenities. I look forward to seeing bloggers on this page who reside at SJP when we start building. Best of luck for those who choose to live in other communities.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 AM

844 posts, read 2,643,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
OK.... BUT, there's a couple of BUTS'...... what's unexplainable to me is why a "few" people have to always justify "their" position by insisting that so many others also find this "fatal flaw" in the location.... for instance, the numbers, over 1800 homes built here right now ( many times the number of homes in any other community anywhere in the area ) with approx 175 new homes under construction at the moment..... we've been here for 6 months, go to umpteen affairs, gatherings, nightly outings at Tommy's and the other watering holes here, interact with those same umpteen people on a regular basis that are quite happy here and also at the other communities in the area ( which brings the number up to probably over 15,000 people in the communities ) and someone "drives thru" for 90 minutes and "just happens" upon two residents that absolutely hate their life here and want to move because of the location.... it's like when you send someone to your favorite restaurant where you see the same people for years and they didn't like it and then they say they met others at the restaurant who also didn't like it...... the other but ( from the ladies in the group we had dinner with last evening ) if someone knows that Southport is 45 minutes from Wilmington and the nearest pool hall AND has already established that 45 minutes is too far to live from the nearest pool hall then why in the world would that person drive the 45 minutes all the way out to Southport to look at St James when they know already that the ONE pre-requisite that is written in stone has already been established ... namely it's location ! Why take that drive when it didn't meet the very first requirement ? Why go and waste that time and trip ? Actually, I thought they were pretty good questions myself, wish I had thought of them.
Stoney,.....understand yoour point, but don't understand why anyone would question why they took the drive, etc. I would venture to say they were following the good old guidance of "The only way you can get a good lay of the land is to come down talk to people, and experience it" Sometimes a 45 minute drive may not sound too bad until you drive it, and realize it might not be too great doing it a few times a week.

Well they followed the guidance, and found it it was just not their cup of tea.

I wish them the best in their search as we all should.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 AM

Ok marc, I understand your point..... just like Jethro I went clear through the 5th grade. But, since the name of this forum is thoughts and info about SJP..... allow me to give you my thought on that point.... when we came down here to the area to explore, we knew that we were leaving the big city on purpose and did not want to jump into the fire from the pan, so we did not look at the plantations in Wilmington like Landfall, etc..... there are quite a few over there and very nice I'm sure.... however we knew beforehand that was not the location for us, why go there and "waste our time" so to speak, with an exercise in driving when we already knew the location was not for us. I suggest it was the same situation, 6hrs every day at a pool hall is something else but a 45 minute ride that is too much is a 45 minute ride that is too much.... any way you look at it..... why go WAY OUT to Southport when you already stated that the 45 minutes you're already doing at home is too much.... the new 45 minutes is going to be too much too..... that was my point.

PS: For the record, I am not a bit squeamish about being a "cheerleader" for SJP, I do not take that as a pejorative.... I remain unabashedly so..... I like it here.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 AM

14,783 posts, read 18,391,667 times
Thank you marc515 and movedtothecoast. I think you hit the nail on the head. Id also add that various online calculators show the distance between Southport and Wilmington as 22-26 miles. In our neck of the woods, thats at 60-65 mph, that's about half an hour on an easy highway drive.

For folks who don't regularly want or need to leave the plantation, it's a lovely place, I'm sure. But others have interests that involve activities that are not included in the amenities of SJP, and there's not a lot of variety even if you venture into South Port. PonyPride, your thoughts may change a bit AFTER you actually live there for awhile - but I sincerely hope not.

As for Stonecreek, it goes beyond cheerleading. He conveys a disdain for any viewpoint that opposes his own. Any other choice is inferior, and you are foolish, stupid or ignorant for not 'seeing the light'. If that is the pervasive attitude in SJP, we wouldn't be happy at all - and neither would the many people who have sent me PMs on this topic.

Again, thanks to all for the advice over the last few months.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Dear JK.... good luck in your search.... but trust me on this, there are PM's a flyin' all over the place on this side too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina