Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 42,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
If youhad to pick Winding River or St James, which would you pick and why??
It depends on how much you want to spend the dues in St James are 1200.00 a year plus extra to use the pools and if you want to become a golf member extra for that good luck!!!!!!!!! It is cheaper in Winding River if you want golf and a water acess community, also look into lockwood folly plantation and river run plantation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,265 times
Winding River looks beautiful too- It is not listed as a retirement place. whats it like there??????? still looking at St. James too.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM

53 posts, read 202,811 times
Where do people shop who live in St James Plantation? Food stores?? Proximity to a shopping Mall? Target?? Cotsco??

Old 09-21-2010, 04:05 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
Where do people shop who live in St James Plantation? Food stores?? Proximity to a shopping Mall? Target?? Cotsco??
Southport is about 10 minutes from St. James and has a Walmart and a Lowes Foods. The closest mall, Target and Costco are in Wilmington which is about 45 minutes away.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:52 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Just back from a week where I played the Reserve Course at St James and Panthers Run at Ocean Ridge. I too am interested in both communities and see good things in both. Just eliminated Winding River so now it is down to the two of them. Any further input or observations would be appreciated.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 AM

15 posts, read 87,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Just back from a week where I played the Reserve Course at St James and Panthers Run at Ocean Ridge. I too am interested in both communities and see good things in both. Just eliminated Winding River so now it is down to the two of them. Any further input or observations would be appreciated.
Sorry, not trying to butt into a conversation, but we are a builder in Ocean Ridge Plantation if you'd like more information from that angle.

Cheers.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 PM

I would love to hear your "side of the story". I know there are people on this board that have land and might be looking for a builders feel for the "Plantation" that they have bought into. I am leaning toward a resale but land and a build is not out of the question for me as I have done it twice before in NJ and PA. Go for it.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 AM

15 posts, read 87,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I would love to hear your "side of the story". I know there are people on this board that have land and might be looking for a builders feel for the "Plantation" that they have bought into. I am leaning toward a resale but land and a build is not out of the question for me as I have done it twice before in NJ and PA. Go for it.
Here it goes the reader's digest version (for the record, even though I'm coastalbuilder, we are not Coastal Construction or Mark Saunders Luxury Homes).

Not surprising, most neighborhoods in general here have faltered in the last couple of years. Some are ghost towns, others have life but nothing new going on and then there's Ocean Ridge (can't speak for St. James as we have yet to build there).

ORP has continued to be a beacon for hope. There are around 500 finished homes there now, which provides for a nice "We're here and we've invested and we're not going anywhere mentality". Yes, home values have been hit, yes folks that bought home sites for $250k to $400k can only hope to get 50% of that back if they can sell at all. Yes, Jaguar' Lair has only one unfinished home in it right now. The big but is that activity continues there. There are several homes under construction. Folks who have the funds realize that it is a perfect time to buy a resell home site, even they are sitting on another home site that they paid way too much for at the time. We've had clients who own home sites in Jaguar's Lair buy new home sites inside ORP and we've had others who have home sites in ORP buy an existing home in ORP. People who love ORP are committed to it one way or another.

It is also a great time to buy a resell home. A "used" home is always going to be a much better deal than buying a new home. People still buy new Lexus and shop at Nordstrom even though they could get a great used Cadillac and shop at Belk/Dillards. They are separate markets.

I just tallied up our prospective client list and we have/are having discussions with 86 different home site owners about the possibility of building on their home site in ORP. Some will never build, some will have life altering things happen that will prevent them from building, some... well you get the picture. Bar none, 75% of the calls we get are for folks wanting to build in ORP, this year, next year, five years from now. Activity is picking up at The Thistle as well but that's another discussion. We have a few talking about River's Edge, Sea Trail, SeaWatch and Winding River. We have a couple talk about St. James. We have never had a call with anyone talking about Ocean Isle Palms.

If I were going to put my money in a golf community in Brunswick County, NC it would be Ocean Ridge or The Thistle. Both will survive and then both will thrive.

That's my synopsis as a builder. Ask anything specific and hopefully I can answer it. Thanks for the time on the soap box.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks for your "local builder" perspective. One question, do the land owners come to you with plans or do you offer plans to them? How often does OR reject what land owners or builders present? Coming from the north where basements are the norm are they out of the question in that area because of water table or is it just something that is not in vogue down there? Thanks again for your input.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:11 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
As usual in real estate it is location, location location.

What do you want.

Is golf important?

Is a marina important?

Is shopping important?

Is east access important?

Nothing against St J's but, I would not live there. No offense to those that do.

Try to get in and out Rt 211 during the summer. If there is any kind of accident you are screwed.

Think of all the people trying to get out if there is a hurricane. 211 can't handle it.

Just my opinion.

ORP is located on RT 17, even though there are several other entrances from around the community.

There are 4 1/2 Golf courses. The other 1/2 is scheduled to open "soon"

The generally don't book tee times for the out of state groups on 1 or 2 courses and leave the other 2 courses for locals.

If golf is your thing there are probably 25 other course within a 15 minute drive.

Over 75 more available in the greater Myrtle Beach area.

I don't know about the St.Js are but if community activity is your thing we have the Elks, The American legion, the VFW and others right here in calabash.

If you want the exciting life Myrtle beach is within easy driving time. 5 minuets to Little River.

15 minutes to North Myrtle beach and 20 to 30 minutes to Myrtle beach itself.

Every kind of shopping you can think of. Hundreds of restaurants.

Is entertainment your thing? The Carolina Opery, the Alabama Theater. Dolly Parton's just name a few. If you want it it is there.

The good part is if you don't want it it won't affect you.

While I don't live in ORP, I do live nearby. 10 years ago I visited here for the first time. 6 months later I came back and brought property. 2 1/2 years ago we moved here. to a person, everyone we have met in these 10 years has said the same thing,"I wish I could, woulda, shoulda, moved here sooner.

Best of luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina