Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 02:54 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times

Advertisements

Did the couple say where they were moving to???

Just wondering....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Did the couple say where they were moving to???

Just wondering....
Sorry, we didn't think to ask. But it's an excellent question.

As for us, we are looking in Leland, Wilmington and raleigh/Durham /Cary. I honestly do not think we will find the same feel or atmosphere of SJP in any of those areas - but for our preferences, we may find something that is a better fit.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 AM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
I don't understand why some people think SJP is too far from things. My wife and I fly into Myrtle Beach and within 1 1/4 hours we are at SJP. If we want night life, we travel 35 minutes to Wilmington and go to the clubs.

Everything is a tradeoff. You can live at Landfall in Wilmington and get the same experience as SJP, but just be ready to sit in some traffic going to Wrightsville beach and you will have a hard time parking when you get there.

My preference is to have piece and quiet but to also be able to have nightlife with in 30 minutes or so. That is the reason I chose SJP.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
I don't understand why some people think SJP is too far from things. My wife and I fly into Myrtle Beach and within 1 1/4 hours we are at SJP. If we want night life, we travel 35 minutes to Wilmington and go to the clubs.

Everything is a tradeoff. You can live at Landfall in Wilmington and get the same experience as SJP, but just be ready to sit in some traffic going to Wrightsville beach and you will have a hard time parking when you get there.

My preference is to have piece and quiet but to also be able to have nightlife with in 30 minutes or so. That is the reason I chose SJP.
And that's reasonable for you. My husband would be traveling to Wilmington pool halls 4-5 afternoons a week. Every week. We timed it to Breaktime Billairds (nice pool place, btw). At least 40 minutes with out traffic. That's just too much time and gas spent on the road. I agree - if it were only 1-2 times per week, it might be okay.

Based on the two random residents of SJP we spoke with, the feeling of being too far away from "everything " does have validity for some folks. Beautiful community, but I wish it were in a different location.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
Default Billards Lover

Just wondering. You guys ever think of buying a pool table and play at home. Tons of guys love to have a few beers and play pool.

Just wondering......

Jersey Jim

Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
biscy.... you read my mind !

In fact.... my new house has a dedicated pool room on the first floor for just such pleasuring...... after all, I heard somewhere that you only live once.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM

In fact, we have a Brunswick pool table in our current home. We thought of bringing with us, but realize it might be better to just buy a new one when we get there. How do we know this? Husband sold pool tables for 4+ years at the end of his working life.

He finds playing at home different than playing in a pool hall or nice bar. I can't explain why. He enjoys playing with a wide range of different players from different skill levels. Someone new isn't just gonna show up at the front door of our house.

And, quite frankly, I don't want a pool hall in my house five days a week. Take it off site, please.

SjP is lovely. I'm not trying to degrade or insult the community in any way. But it's NOT the only lovely place to live in this country, and its location is decidedly a bit isolated for many people.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
Stone,

I have my bonus room reserved for a Brunswick pool table and my cue rack. After I polish up my skills it is off to Wilmington.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Stoney, another question in a long line of them that you have been kind enough to answer. Did you buy your property with a house footprint in mind or did did you buy the property and design the house to the lot size? Was an existing resale even an option for you?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:34 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times
Well ponester.... I would have to venture a guess that the pool rooms in our homes ( and others ), coupled with the serene setting of St James and the lovely personel available here, might just be infinitley more pleasant and desirable than hanging in some public pool hall for 6 hrs per day, every day, in Wilmington ( or some other big city, the likes of which I have just recently and deliberately escaped from ) but maybe I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina