Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times

Advertisements

Well, let's see if we can follow THAT logic southeastlady.... as my good friend lionsgators so definitively stated and you are swallowing......"99% of all new homes built are poorly built." and are all prefab. Since I have been building homes for the past 15 years I would tend to disagree... that's a different story though. However I will tell you that I have been watching, and very intimitley so, the construction of a couple of hundred new homes in St James in the past 19 months and one I just finished building myself and I can tell you, only because it is true, that not one single one of them was "prefab"... not one single one.... and the one I just finished is of the highest quality you'll ever see..... several people on this thread have toured the house personally and I believe they will attest to that fact. And, to make a blanket statement that ALL new homes are poorly built and cast the same aspersions on ALL the labor that goes into them is simply not credible... actually a bit ridiculous and insulting to anyone involved.

But let's continue to follow his "logic" that you seem value so much for a moment. Since he participated willingly in building what he calls poor building and bad labor he readily admits to having been a part of it so why would I cherish his opinion so if he willingly and deliberately participated in building bad houses for over 5000 poor unsuspecting people to live in ? Next, if ALL the new homes are such terrible construction.... by all of the hundreds or so of builders of every stripe and price range and experience in this area..... I guess you and the rest of the people looking in North Carolina better stay right where you are because ANY new house you might buy will be a poorly built prefab and in danger of falling down..... but maybe I'm wrong.... and those poor people that just purchased land in SJP and/or Ocean Ridge and or Brunswick Forest and on and on down the list of plantations in Brunswick County... many of whom regularly post on this forum and are planning to build their dream home are simply stupid, wasted their money and are just plain S.O.L ..... that is, of course, according to my good friend lionsgators.... who's opinion you seem to value so easily after he says that he willingly participated in doing such shoddy work.

Last edited by Stonecreek67; 04-16-2013 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 PM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
I personally toured Stoney's home and it is more secure than a White House bunker. My home is being built in SJP. I have monitored the progress of the framers, masons, etc. and I have no problem with the quality. Also, I do not understand why people complain about the location. Stoney and I come from NJ, which has the same Rt. 17 that runs through Leland, Schalotte, etc. I came to SJP to get away from the traffic. A Walmart, Food Lion and Lowes 5 minutes away are fine. If I need to shop at speciality stores, I can use my Mustang to take a nice drive to Leland, Wilmington or MB. There are also a lot of professionals in SJP who can afford to build the best. Many of their homes are custom built. I don't know what your expectations are. If you want a turn of the century home, go to Wilmington. We can meet at the mall if you don't mind driving for 15 minutes through the endless traffic lights and the photo rader traps in the city. I will stay in SJP, hang out at Tommy's (which has survived many a hurricane) and have beer with my buddies. I will not lose any sleep about houses falling down.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM

158 posts, read 345,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Well, let's see if we can follow THAT logic southeastlady.... as my good friend lionsgators so definitively stated and you are swallowing......"99% of all new homes built are poorly built." and are all prefab. Since I have been building homes for the past 15 years I would tend to disagree... that's a different story though. However I will tell you that I have been watching, and very intimitley so, the construction of a couple of hundred new homes in St James in the past 19 months and one I just finished building myself and I can tell you, only because it is true, that not one single one of them was "prefab"... not one single one.... and the one I just finished is of the highest quality you'll ever see..... several people on this thread have toured the house personally and I believe they will attest to that fact. And, to make a blanket statement that ALL new homes are poorly built and cast the same aspersions on ALL the labor that goes into them is simply not credible... actually a bit ridiculous and insulting to anyone involved.

But let's continue to follow his "logic" that you seem value so much for a moment. Since he participated willingly in building what he calls poor building and bad labor he readily admits to having been a part of it so why would I cherish his opinion so if he willingly and deliberately participated in building bad houses for over 5000 poor unsuspecting people to live in ? Next, if ALL the new homes are such terrible construction.... by all of the hundreds or so of builders of every stripe and price range and experience in this area..... I guess you and the rest of the people looking in North Carolina better stay right where you are because ANY new house you might buy will be a poorly built prefab and in danger of falling down..... but maybe I'm wrong.... and those poor people that just purchased land in SJP and/or Ocean Ridge and or Brunswick Forest and on and on down the list of plantations in Brunswick County... many of whom regularly post on this forum and are planning to build their dream home are simply stupid, wasted their money and are just plain S.O.L ..... that is, of course, according to my good friend lionsgators.... who's opinion you seem to value so easily after he says that he willingly participated in doing such shoddy work.
As a builder yourself, I'm sure you know that a construction "worker" is following the direction of his boss as to the quality of the build, that being his direct supervisor, building foreman or general contractor.

I made no reference to "pre fab construction. As I am presently living in a custom home that was build for us, from our architects plans and stick built, I can tell you the following from our experience. Unless the consumer is fortunate enough to be ons site every day for most of the day, there are many issues that can be overlooked. We were fortunate enough to overseer the majority of the year long construction process of our home and even given that, things happened. As an example, our painter who was great, stained the oak treads on the stairs to our second floor. He then put several costs of polyurethane over the stain and put wooden horses in front of the stairs to keep traffic off during the drying process. I left for a few moments when the plumber arrived to tend to an issue in the master bath. The plumber stepped right over the barrier and proceeded to walk up the freshly painted stairway with his muddy work boots on. Fortunately, I returned in adequate time to see the damage, contacted the painter who was fortunately working on another home nearby. The painter was able to correct the damage. If I had not been there, the stairs would have needed to be sanded and restrained.

Although, as I said, I do respect the industry and those that work within it. However, there are occasions where sort cuts are taken and these are always to the detriment of the consumer. So I repeat, unless every home in SJP had a continual watchful eye during construction, I would honor what a construction person tells you about the way certain homes have been built.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Very nice speech southeastlady.... what it has to do with the statement in question, I don't know.... apparently your home is the one exception to his rule.... it is clever though, that while defending an indefensable statement, you completely dodged the actual statement, let me recount the ridiculous and completely untrue blanket statement that you did not see fit to address with your plumbers story....

"99% of all new homes built are poorly built. they are all prefab, and snapped together by laborers".

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 10,265 times
JM that's what I am lookin for! A no nonsence opinion. If not St James, then where in that area?http://xin70.info/17.jpghttp://xin70.info/18.jpghttp://xin70.info/19.jpghttp://xin70.info/20.jpg

Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 PM

158 posts, read 345,280 times
Quote:
Very nice speech southeastlady.... what it has to do with the statement in question, I don't know.... apparently your home is the one exception to his rule.... it is clever though, that while defending an indefensable statement, you completely dodged the actual statement, let me recount the ridiculous and completely untrue blanket statement that you did not see fit to address with your plumbers story....

"99% of all new homes built are poorly built. they are all prefab, and snapped together by laborers".
I would be more than happy to address the above quoted statement.

I would first like to say that my jumping into this conversation had nothing to do with SJP. My comments were in agreement regarding shoddy building practices in general. As a result, I am of the opinion that unless you are onsite continuously, there will aspects to a newly built home that can result in shoddy practices.

Allow me to tell you another story in addition to my "plumbers story" as to what occurs during new construction. While our home was being built and the concrete block was being laid for the foundation and basement walls, I arrived after lunch one day to discover that the working crew decided to throw their banana peels and pop cans inside the concrete block walls! You and Pony may have the most well built homes possible, however, I get back to my original post of this subject. Only the construction crew knows what is behind those walls and within that foundation. I would honor the statements a construction worker makes.

Now back to addressing your quoted statement. I don't necessarily agree with the 99% reference. I, however, feel there are many "poorly built, snapped together" homes out there. We have a winter home that was built by a volume builder. We have personally witnessed on many occasions the non English speaking crew pouring concrete slabs after dark with the headlights from their trucks as the only source of light !!! Now, that poor trusting out of state consumer will never know how his slab was constructed until his hardwood floor starts to pop !! One of our neighbors had to have the entire hardwood in her great room removed and replaced. The reason...the plumber incorrectly installed the lines from the master toilet and water was slowly seeping under the flooring !!

So now I comfortably feel that I have adequately addressed all points. I maintain that there is definitely shoddy work out there and one will never know unless they're on site everyday, all day. I also maintain that if a construction worker expresses knowledge of shoddy work, I would honor his experience and knowledge.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Now who can argue with logic like that.... the gentleman was a construction worker years ago... yep, that'll do it for me ! What a dump.
actually, I was not a construction worker. I was a land developer, but I do enjoy your slight on the working class. how respectful. so you live in a neighborhood that puts up a huge wall so you don't have to see the locals, disrespect the working class, and get offended when people call you stodgy? who can argue with logic like that..

Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I laid the homes out. I set the boundaries. I had nothing to do with the building of the generic garbage homes. all new homes are prefab. if you deny that, you have no clue about the industry. the frame is put together at a remote location, and delivered to the home site on a flatbed truck. it is then snapped together by an 18 year old day laborer with zero experience. most new homes built aren't even square. so, my good friend, put up those walls. shop at wal mart, and enjoy your generic life. you are building a utopia down there. and by utopia, I mean a section of new jersey cut out of new jersey, and transplanted to a faceless subdivision behind 10 ft walls. hey, did you all ever get wal mart to close its doors to locals on sundays so you wouldn't be subjected to them? I know that was top priority.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:

seems like we've found out your end game. your a home builder, and I can guess that you are looking to profit from the influx of poof haired doodle dandies moving down to st. james. why would anyone move from NJ, to a neighborhood with huge walls full of people of NJ? where's the change? you're still surrounded by people from NJ.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 AM

Once again my friend, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, it is simply not so.... there are too many people that know differently. The homes being built here and at each plantation in the area are not 'prefab' at all, they are not put together in remote locations they are stick built on sight and not by 18 year old day labororers at all. One only needs to drive through the places ( in this century anyway ) and see how the construction is being done and by whom. But again, why let the facts of the present interfere with your jaded memory of the past. I have never seen so many unhappy people trying their best to keep people out of an area... especially by telling them, untruthfully of course, that if they move down here looking for a better retirement life that their own personal sky will be falling soon, their propane tanks will explode and all their new homes will fall down around their ears..... what a terrible, unhappy outlook on life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina