Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 05:45 AM

8,316 posts, read 4,286,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikjim View Post
Has anyone heard an estimate recently of when the new entrance on Middleton Blvd will open?
Last official word I heard the new gate should be complete by the end of the year and upgrading polly gully bridge has been bumped to 2017.

It seems like a long time to me to finish a 100 yards of so of street but then again:
Clearing and paving the St James street
Installing a gate and I assume a gate house, utilities, lighting etc.
Exiting to Middleton you will only be able to go right, you will have to travel several hundred feet and make a U turn to go to the island. This means a fair amount of work has to be done on Middleton to create turn lanes, a cut through the median, signage, paving, painting etc.

On polly gully bridge I am not clear on exactly what will be done, I am assuming raising the roadbed a bit higher, probably new guard rails, there is a bridge in there that may need some updating as well. A lot of big trucks travel that causeway on a regular basis. It could use a better walking, bike path/shoulder on St James even though there is a nice cart bridge that runs parallel to it. Last I heard the upgrades, what ever they are, will be done one lane at a time so emergency vehicles will still be able to access the area south of polly gully with out going all the way around to the new gate. I know a number of fire and EMS volunteers live south of polly gully and need to get to the station as quick a possible.

Its nice to see the infrastructure improvements even though it will mean some inconvenience along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 11:08 PM

59 posts, read 136,492 times
I just read that Wegmans is planning to come to NC and build its first store in Cary. Maybe it will eventually come to Wilmington area!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...nto-north.html

Old 05-30-2016, 10:22 AM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
I just read that Wegmans is planning to come to NC and build its first store in Cary. Maybe it will eventually come to Wilmington area!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...nto-north.html
Wegman's in North Carolina is years away from any construction and from opening. I think you will see more Publix and Harris Teeter stores in Brunswick County opening sooner.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:53 PM

192 posts, read 253,959 times
My eyes and brain are getting overwhelmed with this thread. I'm only up to page 90 and have a couple hundred to go!

There was some chatter in 2008 - 2010 about SJP annexing, or trying to, surrounding properties. Whatever became of that? Is it still an active matter? Is Arbor Creek likely to become drawn into SJP whether they want to or not?

Inquiring minds want to know (-;

Old 06-07-2016, 06:10 PM

8,316 posts, read 4,286,125 times
I haven't heard anything about annexing additional land/communities into SJP other than a relatively small section in Seaside that is already developed.

I really don't know but I get the impression that when SJP incorporated into a town, there was some animosity between Southport and Oak Island. I gather they both had their eyes on SJP as additional tax base. Even though all the St James addresses are in Southport, I see Oak Island as a bigger 'completer' for adjacent lands since the intersection of Middleton and 211 is part of Oak Island including the former Charles now Pine Forrest development. All that land is very close to SJP and is withing the service area of the SJP fire and EMS though a recent article in the newspaper commented on Oak Island putting a satellite fire/ems station there. I have no idea if SJP has its eyes on expansion in that direction or not. In general it seems SJP is pretty happy with it financial status and is doing well without grabbing up additional lands. There is plenty of opportunities along the future 211 widening and growth that is sure to come with it. SJP is a very unique community of amenities co-governed if you will between the town, POA, and developer. The developer will have less influence over the next few years in some aspects but as long as the developer still owns all the clubs, pools and golf courses .... well .... its hard to say.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:05 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus-NJ View Post
Is Arbor Creek likely to become drawn into SJP whether they want to or not?
There were some changes to state law which disallowed annexation without the area's consent. This article says it ended in 2011.:Forced annexation ends in North Carolina | Examiner.com

St James is an incorporated town, and Arbor Creek is still a separate development.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 PM

192 posts, read 253,959 times
Thanks very much, Goldenage1. I have lots of topic pages to go through and it's probably buried somewhere in there. I appreciate you doing my homework for me!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:59 PM

32 posts, read 71,916 times
Would like to know if anyone can recommend a good surveyor in the area, and approx. how much do they generally charge to go over a lot.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 AM

805 posts, read 1,993,245 times
Used McHenry surveying several times for St James lots, nice people, good service.... don't know what you mean by "go over a lot".

Mchenry Surveying in Oak Island, NC - (910) 278-9...

Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 AM

805 posts, read 1,993,245 times
OK boys and girls....

Informational Bulletin # 806493B:

Sub Section D:

1) Pine Forest ( formerly the Charles ) has cleared what "appears" to be 20 plus acres of land right at it's entrance on Rt 211..... so they ARE doing something.

2) The Bagel Dock, headquartered in Calabash, which was going to open a store in the new Lowes on Midway but backed out due to the high rent, has opened it's new store "The Bagel Dock Express" in Shallotte on Main Street next to Tokyo Express and Highway 55 Burgers..... just stopped in an had a breakfast sandwich there a while ago.... eat in or take out.....

https://www.facebook.com/Bagel-dock-...7129559634476/ just an FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina