U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,079 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to NC from UpState NY (we've had enough of the winters). We were looking at the Elizabeth City area because we have family in Norfolk. We were thinking about the outskirt areas. My husband currently works for Time Warner Cable up here, I know that Elizabeth City has Time Warner, I was wonder if the smaller surrounding towns such as Camden also offer Time Warner?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 03:58 PM

25 posts, read 110,804 times
I don't think there are any Time Warner franchises in this area. Most of the surrounding areas around Elizabeth City are served by Mediacom I believe...that is the company that services Currituck County where I live. Currituck is a nice area near Elizabeth City that is fairly close to Norfolk as well. We are about a half hour from Elizabeth City and about 45 minutes from downtown Norfolk. Camden County is also a nice rural area outside of Elizabeth City that is worth looking into.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,079 times
thanks for the info!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:34 PM

12 posts, read 28,609 times
Default Time Warner,E City

Hi,fsquires!
Time Warner is the cable provider for Elizabeth City,they took over from Adelphia some time ago.
A drawback to living in Currituck is that for much of the year,you'll be stuck in traffic going to/from VA.
E City is a small town;great if that is what you are looking for.
We do have easy access to Chesapeake/VA Beach/Norfolk for those things that you can't get here,but without the traffic of Hampton Roads.(My personal observation-you can be in a Nordstrom within an hour.)
If there is traffic her,it's because there is farm equipment in the road,or someone is moving a double wide.
You can get a LOT of house for the money,taxes are low.
I moved here 10 years ago from New England and have no regrets.It's a town on it's way up!
refly
And no snow to shovel!!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:55 PM

12,448 posts, read 31,537,716 times
Tell me what stores are in E City to shop at? How close are they to public transportation...if any? Or Apts??

Old 03-02-2008, 05:33 PM

12 posts, read 28,609 times
Default stores,etc.

Walmart, a small JC Penney's,some smaller regional stores, Belk,Goody's,Cato.
Walgreens (new) CVS,Lowe's Big Lots,Olliie's (new discount store)Office Max
Grocery:
Food Lion,several,and all have been remodeled recently. Also Farm Fresh,very nice grocery store.
Public transportation is growing,ICPTA (InterCountyPublic Transp) is available but you need to call to schedule,as they serve a large area.
A car is useful here.
Re.apartments-the ones I lived at for years when I first arrived-Emerald Lake,are 3 BR 2 BA are very nice and the newest you will find,most likely.

Chesapeake VA,about 40 minutes,has Marshalls,TJMAxx,Ross,Target, and other chain/mall stores.It's an easy drive to the Greenbrier area.
refly

Old 03-03-2008, 06:03 PM

90 posts, read 311,157 times
I see things aliitle different . I am from Currituck and the roads are not bad. Yes on the weekends you have to time yourself, by that i mean i usually dont head north to va before 830 am on Sat and Sunday morning (because the vacationers are all checking out and on the way home) and i don't head to the beach after 12:30 Sat and Sunday afternoon (BECAUSE THE VACATIONERS ARE ALL COMING TO CHECK IN) Even if i do go , i don't really think it that bad, maybe as your going through Moyock ND ANOTHER SPOT IS OVER ON THE OUTER BANKS BRIDGE/ ROAD TO DUCK. All other days it's not bad at all. Yes it does pick up after May 30th and lasts till First week in Sept. But if you have never come down here the beaches are great!!!! Free Parking and some parking areas have bath houses.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 PM

144 posts, read 608,790 times
I'm from Moyock. I like E.C. pretty well it is a great little city. It has some parts that are really beautiful around the waterfront and some of the "downtown" part is historic and pretty but these sections also tend to be in the oldest and roughest parts of the town. South of the city is more rural but fairly nice and the western and northern parts are pretty nice. There are many homes around there for sale as there always are regardless of the economy. The Coast Guard base tends to ensure a relatively lively market. E.C. has some bad sections and has some real economic problems but it doesn't seem to extend "city-wide". The school systems have a somewhat poor reputation. E.C. has it's share of drugs and crime but compared to larger cities it really isn't that bad. There are really no parts of town that I would feel real uncomfortable in. If you want a smaller town or more rural you might look towards Camden. Camden is very rural but a nice up and coming county. I love Moyock and Currituck county, myself, but your husband would have to drive to E.C. to work which would not be a terrible commute. As far as the cable situation in Camden I'm not really sure who the cable company in Camden is, sorry.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 20,359 times
Chevygiryl62, my wife and i also are from upstate,ny looking to move out of the snow to the coast area, we have family in rocky mount but want to be near the coast. do you know if there is work for myself as i have been with a chevy dealership for the past 11 years or so.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 PM

181 posts, read 558,754 times
I was reading some post about places to shop. We are moving to Elizabeth City as well. Husband is there I will be with the family a little over a week. We are from Michigan and we do have Walmarts but I just don't care for there meat. Is there any advice for another choice. I have no problem with all the other stuff Walmart sell we have Super Walmart but I just don't like there meat. Is there any Super Targets we have none around here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina