U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 11,577 times

Advertisements

I am a military retiree. I will relocating to wilmington NC this summer. I have lived in Fayetteville NC for over ten years. My wife will be working in downtown Wilmington. I aslo have two kids, one will be in his senior year of high school next school year. The other one will be attending middle school. We are looking at property in the mid $300,000 to $425,000 max. I have been reading a lot about Wilmington and crime stands out alot! Can someone please inform me of nice, safe neiborhoods around the Wilmington area or close by (20 miles max), also I would like to hear about public schools in the area.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,358,659 times
from my understanding, pender county has the best schools in the area. as for high schools, I hear that laney and hoggard are the good ones around here. honestly, that is a lot of money to spend, even in this area. I would look around the hampstead area. the commute to downtown might be a little rough, but it shouldn't be too bad with the extension of the MLK parkway. I bet you are glad to get out of fayetteville! you might want to consider a house in porters neck. I think you can get something for less than $425,000.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 11,577 times
Thanks, for taking the time and responding.
I do want to stay away from neighborhoods with home owners associations if possible. I lived in a gated community in Fayettevile NC and have had a bad experience with HOA.
I will check those areas you mention. I would like to hear from other people out there.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,358,659 times
most of the nicer neighborhoods in the area have home owners associations. however, some are worse than others. porters neck I would imagine would be horrible. there are a lot of real estate agents on here so I am sure you will be getting some more replies!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,540 times
We have just moved to Fayetteville from Wilmington this past summer. I miss it so much. You will love everything Wilmington has to offer. The Masonboro area off of greenville loop rd is one of the safest areas in Wilmington, another area to look at is Porters neck, however there is alot of traffic off of Market Street. Brunswick county offers great homes within your budget, and Leland isn't too far to drive from downtown. However, be aware of the morning commute and the bridge. Scotts Hill and Beau Rivage are also good areas to check for a home. Beau Rivage is a golf community located in between wilmington and carolina beach. Good Luck!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:56 PM

116 posts, read 489,788 times
Hi Chap,

You may want to give Carolina Beach a look. It's about 15 miles south of downtown Wilmington on Pleasure Island. It is a great community and is very safe. We moved here about a year ago and absolutely love it. If your children enjoy the beach, then they'll be in paradise. I know the skate park is very popular with kids of all age ranges and the youth sport leagues in the area are very popular. You should be able to find a nice size house in your price range within several blocks of the beach. Insurance can be steep so that should be factored...assume that you'll pay at least an extra $200 a month for insurance.

Here is an earlier post I made (the sixth post down) and it has some area links that may be of interest to you.

I want to moove to north carolina please help

Best of luck with your search!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,216 times
Default Wilmington help

I would be happy to advise you on areas in Wilmington. I am often in the position to consult people relocating here as my profession is Real Estate. If you would like some help, I can certainly guide you through our lovely city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina