U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 PM

12 posts, read 37,466 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I cannot seem to find my niche in the labor market here in Washington, NC.

I would love to start a grocery delivery service in this area to help people who cannot do so or as a convenience for those that hate it. If I can get prospective customers, I'll do it.

Thanks!!

I hope this message does not get tagged as marketing since I am not mentioning any name of what such a service would be called. I'd just like to discuss the matter with other Washington residents and how else can I?

Last edited by Sarah0664; 02-14-2008 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: did not specify washington, nc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:55 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,356,646 times
lowes food has that service. I personally would not use one, but I know several people who might use it. people who work at home, work a lot of hours, just busy people might use it. it might just be one of those things where you need to find a client base rather than trying to deliver to a bunch of different people. got to use selective marketing. know who potential clients are, and market towards them. for example, rich people who live in landfall, and porters neck! I feel your pain on the job market. the job market here is depressed. just not a lot of opportunity.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,356,646 times
oops, I thought you said wilmington! sorry! but the advice stays the same. try to target some of the more high end neighborhoods or retirement neighborhoods. you might have better luck in greenville because there is a bigger market.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
lowes food has that service. I personally would not use one, but I know several people who might use it. people who work at home, work a lot of hours, just busy people might use it. it might just be one of those things where you need to find a client base rather than trying to deliver to a bunch of different people. got to use selective marketing. know who potential clients are, and market towards them. for example, rich people who live in landfall, and porters neck! I feel your pain on the job market. the job market here is depressed. just not a lot of opportunity.
Thanks! I actually have a marketing degree, but have trouble using it around here. While educating myself, I thought I wanted to enter the business world. But it is mostly too cutthroat for me. I would love to have a client base I could help regularly rather than work for a company trying to sell stuff to people in such a competitive environment that anything goes as long as the sale is made.

If anyone knows of anyone interested in this in the Washington area...I would love to talk to you.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:30 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,697,551 times
Dear Sarah,
First of all, I love your idea of a grocery shopping service. I will try to give you some tips for marketing, as I am the kind of person who needs that kind of service.

I used to live in the coastal NC area, and so I visit this forum often. I remember little Washington from when I went to East Carolina. I think you could market to older people, maybe you could commute to Greenville for a better client base. See, I'm in the mountains now, and I am a senior citizen, I have mental deficits, and so I have a very hard time in grocery stores. So, I think I can speak for anybody like me, even though I'm not living in your area. I would give anything for a service you are planning, as long as it was affordable, becuz of fixed income. Up here, there are just a couple businesses that do groceries and bring them, but they charge so much, I cannot use them.

You might approach this senior idea by talking to senior citizen organizations, maybe churches, social workers, even grocery stores, which they would be in a position to sort of market for you, that is, they could tell older sick people like me about your service. I have asked about it in my own grocery store. See, I can afford my own meals, so I can't use "Wheels On Meals" from Social Services. I just have a lot of trouble dealing with the store. There's even an old guy that comes into my store in his pajamas, he's a regular shopper, and that's how he copes. I try to at least put a coat on over mine. Ha!

Pretty soon a lot of seniors from the Baby Boom era are going to be just like I am, wanting to continue living at home, just needing a little help. If you have success, spread the idea around, franchise. Hope this helps you out. GG

Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 AM

40 posts, read 203,577 times
Hi Sarah,
My husband and I have lived in NYC and Miami Beach, in both places we used a delivery service. We did this partly because it was easier than carrying groceries on a subway or waiting for a cab, but also because we work from home alot and found it easier. We often ordered in bulk, especially bottled water, so be prepared to lift heavy loads. We once asked the delivery person if he minded delivering so much stuff, he told us it gave him a good workout and that he truly enjoyed shopping for others.

My advice would be to make sure you take everything into consideration before investing your time and money into a new venture. Do you like to shop for groceries? Do you mind waiting in long lines?

Other than that, I think you would find that your client base would be broader than senior citizens.....single parents with several children......transplants from major cities.......small businesses.....think outside of the box.

Good luck with your future endeavors!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Default Thanks for the Encouragement

Thanks gigimac and dogluvr for the great advice and encouragement.

I do like to help people and don't mind shopping. I'll have to research what is affordable- that is a question i am not sure about.

The Baby Boomers are an interesting population to me and as gigimac said- they want to live at home and a convenience like this would help. My other idea is an organization service where I would sort, catgorize, and label storage in attics, garages, etc. It would also be good as a bereavement service for people needing to sort a loved ones things when they pass.

I would love to do either one, so again thanks for the advice and support!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,694 times
I live in Little Washington, for 19 years now, and the retirement-aged population is growing rapidly. There has to be a need for this service. Where I live, in Washington Park, there are at least a dozen "little old ladies" that either don't drive, or shouldn't.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 AM

452 posts, read 2,127,918 times
I'd use such a service if it's affordable, I have had times recently where it would have been a godsend....I just had a baby and have a preschooler too and sometimes it's just hard to get to the store..try hauling two *sick* kids to the grocery store while you're not feeling so hot yourself but you are out of some things you absolutely must have. On a cold and rainy, windy day. Up flights of stairs. Carrying all that alone.

What I've always thought would be handy is an errand delivery service in general, a sort of business that's geared as a personal errand runner. For example, for a fee, go get takeout food from restaurants that don't deliver, for someone who can't get out but doesn't really want pizza delivery again. Go pick up medications at the drug store or some groceries or whatnot.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Just my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
I'd use such a service if it's affordable, I have had times recently where it would have been a godsend....I just had a baby and have a preschooler too and sometimes it's just hard to get to the store..try hauling two *sick* kids to the grocery store while you're not feeling so hot yourself but you are out of some things you absolutely must have. On a cold and rainy, windy day. Up flights of stairs. Carrying all that alone.

What I've always thought would be handy is an errand delivery service in general, a sort of business that's geared as a personal errand runner. For example, for a fee, go get takeout food from restaurants that don't deliver, for someone who can't get out but doesn't really want pizza delivery again. Go pick up medications at the drug store or some groceries or whatnot.
I was thinking the same thing. I am not sure how I could price it though. I think the biggest factor in a grocery delivery service for many people would be affordabilty. What do you all consider affordable?

I read of a company somewhere that charges $12.00 per delivery.

I just think its an interesting idea and something we don't have that could really help people just as it would BlueLily7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina