Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 09:51 AM

447 posts, read 743,385 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving down this way. What is downtown Wilmington like? Food, Shops? future growth etc. Is this a good place to live. Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:20 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
Thinking about moving down this way. What is downtown Wilmington like? Food, Shops? future growth etc. Is this a good place to live. Let me know your thoughts.
I believe it is a good and interesting place to live for child-less households. The are some new loft apartments, and some renovated places. One can walk to restaurants and bars. The Cotton Exchange is a good place for arts-and-crafts shopping. You may still need a car to get to a grocery store if you do multi-bag shopping.

Not sure what you mean by future growth. Downtown has severe geographic limitations, as it is on a peninsula next to a river. It is also surrounded by some low-income housing, however, I don't see any great push to gentrify those areas. You will see occasional crime reports about shootings in those areas, but they are mostly drug-related.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
downtown Wilmington, like downtown Savannah or Charleston, has livability problems. It may look cool, but you're going to struggle to find (For example) a convenient grocery store, or a high-quality public school.

These areas are primarily business districts, with a relatively small amount of residential units that trend towards being old and very expensive.

Is this changing? I think so , yes. Municipal governments are aware of the trend, that people actually want to live in their downtowns. But it is going to be a slow process. Before residential quality of life in the downtowns matches that of the outlying low-density areas.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
downtown Wilmington, like downtown Savannah or Charleston, has livability problems. It may look cool, but you're going to struggle to find (For example) a convenient grocery store, or a high-quality public school.

These areas are primarily business districts, with a relatively small amount of residential units that trend towards being old and very expensive.
Not really. Although they are technically business districts, they are primarily tourist-oriented historic districts, at least as far as Savannah and Charleston go. There are a good bit of residential units but a nice chunk of them are quite expensive.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not really. Although they are technically business districts, they are primarily tourist-oriented historic districts, at least as far as Savannah and Charleston go.
tourism is a business, is it not?

Quote:
There are a good bit of residential units but a nice chunk of them are quite expensive.
I disagree. None of those cities I listed have a large population living in the CBD.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:15 PM

379 posts, read 580,379 times
I absolutely love it. Live downtown and walk to all my stores and food. If I drive I try not to go to Leland during rush hour but otherwise everything I need is a few blocks away. And I'm 40 and got out of Cary suburbs and couldn't be happier. It depends on what you are looking for. I consider it an Asheville on the coast....or headed that way.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Lots of development on the northern riverbank. Condos and apartments being built with a marina and 2 new restaurants. About 75% done on the apartments and marina in place. Check out the riverfront plans.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I absolutely love it. Live downtown and walk to all my stores and food. If I drive I try not to go to Leland during rush hour but otherwise everything I need is a few blocks away. And I'm 40 and got out of Cary suburbs and couldn't be happier. It depends on what you are looking for. I consider it an Asheville on the coast....or headed that way.
This.

I was waiting for someone to post the reality, rather than talk about other cities.

What happened in Wilmington is during the downturn, it opened up reasonable beach and waterfront opportunities to locals and investors, while downtown, outside of the PPD relocation and the convention center, was put on hold.

What is happening now is the faucet being turned on. CFCC has completed its bond projects, the City has replaced the 3rd St bridge, two marinas have been built, the Riverwalk fully extended...and the private investment is there. BB&T has a new 6 story building, Marriott built, Hampton and Embassy Suites under construction, lots of apartments being built and all kinds of fill in projects, whether it be on Front St or in the Brooklyn Arts district on N 4th St. Not to mention a Riverfront Event Park being done by the City.

This momentum will continue, because as those hotels, apartments and marinas get completed, people will be there....permanently. This will encourage other developments or at least tear downs and for sale signs. And the Northern riverfront doesn't have historic guidelines to go by, so its fair game as to what can be done.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:06 PM

I actually live in that marina. Got here early because this place will explode soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina