Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:11 AM

192 posts, read 256,703 times

Advertisements

After what seems like a lifetime of reading the forums, drooling over properties online and several in person visits to Southport .... it looks as if we may be getting close to making the move. Yaay!

I hope this is allowed in the forum - if not please delete.

We have our realtor and very satisfied with her assistance. However, I'm not sure I want to rely on her (or any agent) to be the only source of recommendations regarding local professional expertise. There is always the possibility she would steer us toward friends or others who have a referral arrangement with her. My objective is to get some local knowledge and experience regarding
1. Local attorney to represent us
2. Surveyor to do a survey of the property
3. Home Inspection expert to do a proper inspection before purchase
4. Title insurance company to protect us, not a mortgage company
5. Water lab to do a thorough potable water test
6. Environmental survey for mold, radon, bacteria & whatever else may be there (or does the home inspector do this?)
7. Pest control evaluation and follow-up contract
8. Whatever else I am forgetting this morning!

We picked up a handful of inspector brochures from the real estate office last week but that does not qualify as in-depth research! I would appreciate your recommendations as well as any inputs regarding experts to avoid based on your experience.

It may be best to direct message me rather than a forum reply to avoid any issues!

Many thanks
Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 AM

77 posts, read 247,124 times
Never dealt with most of those you need, but my attorney is Mark L. Lewis in Shallotte. I have dealt with him on several occasions. I am sure he handles real estate. His number is 910-754-7447. As for insurance, North Carolina Farm Bureau is the best to be had as far as any type of personal insurance coverage. There is a local office near Southport.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Never dealt with most of those you need, but my attorney is Mark L. Lewis in Shallotte. I have dealt with him on several occasions. I am sure he handles real estate. His number is 910-754-7447. As for insurance, North Carolina Farm Bureau is the best to be had as far as any type of personal insurance coverage. There is a local office near Southport.
Thanks dodgeguy. From a third time Durango owner

Old 06-07-2016, 08:52 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
As for insurance, North Carolina Farm Bureau is the best to be had as far as any type of personal insurance coverage.
I believe they have the cheapest homeowner insurance. Other major carriers are way more.

BTW, referrals of Realtors have to be done through DM's, but not other housing professionals.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:20 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,744 times
Atty Rob Serra on Oak Island is excellent

If you qualify, I would suggest USAA for insurance; auto rates for NC are extremely high, you can save by using USAA; they also do home insurance, but I'd prefer a local insurance agent for the home.

If you live outside the city limits (Southport), your utilities and taxes will be lower.

All in all, Southport and/or Oak Island are both a beautiful corner of NC. Good luck to you.

We lived, for a short time, on Oak Island and Rivermist (got homesick), but met some truly wonderful people.

You might consider joining the local Newcomers Club - a large group with lots of activities and all quite friendly and welcoming.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:25 PM

Thanks for that info - much appreciated.

FWIW - I just got my renewal auto insurance policy yesterday from Liberty Mutual. With all my discounts applied for safe driver, multiple cars, multiple policies, etc. it came to $2,380 for two cars. Just for thrills I asked the Liberty Mutual Rep to give me a quote for the exact same coverage in Southport. Ready for this? $832 per year for both cars!!!!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:23 PM

Might want to check on this..................NC auto insurance is renewed in 6 month intervals, so double check how long that $832 covers you.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Might want to check on this..................NC auto insurance is renewed in 6 month intervals, so double check how long that $832 covers you.
Great point, Dodgeguy. I never thought to question the policy duration.

I appreciate the info shared by all so far. Any additional inputs about who to work with (see original post) would be very helpful

Thanks to all

Old 06-08-2016, 06:37 PM

158 posts, read 315,685 times
Quote:
As for insurance, North Carolina Farm Bureau is the best to be had as far as any type of personal insurance coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I believe they have the cheapest homeowner insurance. Other major carriers are way more.

BTW, referrals of Realtors have to be done through DM's, but not other housing professionals.
Last year when I was searching for Homeowners/Wind & Hail Insurance, Don Bullard was significantly cheaper than the NC Farm Bureau.

https://www.donbullard.com/

Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Sometimes the cheapest is not the best. I have had personal experience with Farm Bureau. One of our homes was hit by lightning and resulted in a small attic fire and right much smoke damage. Farm Bureau had an adjuster there the next day and work started on repairs a day later. Home owners' insurance is inexpensive. It is the wind and hail that is pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina