U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:24 AM

10,676 posts, read 11,296,076 times

Advertisements

Well if you rent a house then staying away from the pier gives you more breathing room. I think a lot of folks going for day trips to the beach park at the pier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 AM

562 posts, read 931,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well if you rent a house then staying away from the pier gives you more breathing room. I think a lot of folks going for day trips to the beach park at the pier.
Some of that may be due to Ocean Ridge Plantation's Beach House for their residents being on that side of the beach.....

Old 09-02-2016, 09:45 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,962,979 times
If you think Sunset is crowded you should go to Monmouth County NJ during the summer. People will set up within 12 inched of where you are sitting.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:57 AM

295 posts, read 237,231 times
Re Biscman's comment: we won't be visit the Jersey shore anytime soon!

Actually, we own a condo near the center of Sunset Beach, way above the ground level (about 25-35 feet ASL and 2 miles back from the ocean). We used to live about 10 feet ASL and about 500 feet back from the water in Corolla NC; I'm glad to be a bit further away from the effects of all but the most damaging hurricanes and sleep better at night too!

walesp

Old 09-08-2016, 06:19 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
If you think Sunset is crowded you should go to Monmouth County NJ during the summer. People will set up within 12 inched of where you are sitting.
Hey, biscman, I remember you. Tinton Falls, right?

I am in Oak Island this week. Beach is a lot smaller/more narrow than Monmouth County, but it doesn't matter because very few people are here. Even last Saturday and Sunday, it was nothing like NJ as far as crowds go.

Pretty place. Disappointed in restaurants/food, but that I can work around. Not what I came here for. Have a rental house so figured out after a few meals out that it's best to shop and cook my own.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:09 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I am in Oak Island this week. Beach is a lot smaller/more narrow than Monmouth County, but it doesn't matter because very few people are here. Even last Saturday and Sunday, it was nothing like NJ as far as crowds go.

Pretty place. Disappointed in restaurants/food, but that I can work around. Not what I came here for. Have a rental house so figured out after a few meals out that it's best to shop and cook my own.

Best local seafood for cooking at home is Haag on Oak Island. Flying Fish Cage and Island Way are good restaurants on OKI. Mr. P's and Provision Company are good in nearby Southport.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:55 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Best local seafood for cooking at home is Haag on Oak Island. Flying Fish Cage and Island Way are good restaurants on OKI. Mr. P's and Provision Company are good in nearby Southport.
Yes! Bought shrimp and other fish to cook at Haag. That shrimp was SO fresh and wonderful. Friends knew about Haag. Was able to get some fresh produce at a farmer's market/art show.

I did not try either of those restaurants, so maybe I will get a chance. Thank you. Everyone raved about Fishy Fishy in Southport but it was just so-so. We discovered talking to the server and the manager that only the catch of the day special is local. Everything else is bought from a commercial purveyor and they don't know the source, so probably Asia.

Fish Factory/Dead-end Saloon was better. Good crabcakes.

Breakfast place on OKI (Russell's) served an omelet obviously made in a microwave with cold hash browns that were clearly from a bag of frozen. I mean COLD, as if they were just thawed out and then put on the plate. Biscuit was tasty, though, but again, warming it might have been better. Wasn't looking for a gourmet breakfast, but c'mon. These are rock-bottom basic breakfast items. Lol, if someone doesn't know how to cook eggs or potatoes in a pan they probably shouldn't run a breakfast place!

People I've talked to at the shops and art fairs and history places are all really nice. I like history, and people around here are quick to offer interesting info about this area.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,962,979 times
Yep, ex Tinton Falls resident here...
This is the best time down here, Sept thru Nov 1st. Was way too hot in July and August......
Hope you have a great week....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM

295 posts, read 237,231 times
Well, summer is about done, so there should be a little bit more elbow room now. Hope next year won't be as bad as this one!

walessp

Old 09-08-2016, 02:40 PM

192 posts, read 162,576 times
I went to Sunset Beach this afternoon... a Thursday after Labor Day. It was wall to wall umbrellas. Maybe it will be less crowded in a couple of weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina