U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2006, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 24,575 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to NC for early retirement. New Bern caught our attention as a possible location. Mrs. Roscoe is worried about snakes biting the dogs and other dangers. Here in California we have to give them heartworm preventative. We would also like to get info about the area from people who live there and the pros and cons of other areas in the state we haven't considered yet.

Regards,
Roscoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2006, 12:01 PM

505 posts, read 2,313,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
We are thinking of moving to NC for early retirement. New Bern caught our attention as a possible location. Mrs. Roscoe is worried about snakes biting the dogs and other dangers. Here in California we have to give them heartworm preventative. We would also like to get info about the area from people who live there and the pros and cons of other areas in the state we haven't considered yet.

Regards,
Roscoe
I don't think your dog has anything to worry about. lol

My lab lived in New Bern for 8 years, she is still alive. 14 today!

If you live along the creek...Brices creek, there are gators. But I only know of one dog ever getting attacked.

New Bern is a great town. I can think of nothing negative to say. No great shopping, thats it.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:06 PM

Mrs. Roscoe is particularly concerned about cottonmouths. Our German Shepherd likes to chase his ball into creeks. Are there good dog walking places around town? How about parks? Are there any good places to go off-leash?

Thanks for the reply.

Roscoe

Old 11-25-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Mrs. Roscoe is particularly concerned about cottonmouths. Our German Shepherd likes to chase his ball into creeks. Are there good dog walking places around town? How about parks? Are there any good places to go off-leash?

Thanks for the reply.

Roscoe
Don't worry about snakes. Every state has them, including New Bern. (rattle snakes, they love the golf courses, cottonmouth, Copperhead) None of my dogs have been bit.

There are so many parks in New Bern. The largest are:

-Union Point
-Glenburnie Park
-Lawson Creek Park (largest)
-There are also hiking paths at the Croatan National forest.

There are also great walking places downtown New Bern. There are Riverwalks, plazas, parks, everything you would want.

They are also getting ready to build some very highend condos downtown. One complex will have a ferry that takes you downtown. These will be luxury condos. Some of the nicest on the east coast. If you would like, I will provide links and pictures to the website.

Old 11-25-2006, 03:57 PM

Thank you so much for yur reply and for reassuring me about the snakes. Please don't misunderstand, I quite like snakes myself and consider myself lucky if I see one while out walking. The only venemous snake we have here in California is the rattle snake and they are pretty shy-aslo easy to identify.
It sounds like I can stop worryng about the cottonmouths. Here on the central California coast, we've survived earthquakes,floods, mountain lions,rattlesnakes and gang violence,yet we still consider it paradise.
After all that a few cottonmouths should seem like the welcome wagon.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks for offerning to provide links to the website for the now condo developement. I would be most interested to see it. However, if we do relocate, I don't think we will be looking in the "luxury" price range. An early retirement would mean a pretty modest lifestyle. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows about the realestate market in the New Bern area. There seems to be a lot of growth in the area. That usually means realestate appreciation. We won't be ready to relocate for about five years. Now that my cottonmouth concerns are abated, I would hate to be priced out of the market by the time we are ready to move. I'm beginning to wonder if it would be a good idea to buy a house now and rent it. If anyone has an understanding of appreciation trends and paterns in the area, I could use some insight. I'm sure records of realestate sales and prices are on public record. I'm just not sure how to look them up.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for offerning to provide links to the website for the now condo developement. I would be most interested to see it. However, if we do relocate, I don't think we will be looking in the "luxury" price range. An early retirement would mean a pretty modest lifestyle. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows about the realestate market in the New Bern area. There seems to be a lot of growth in the area. That usually means realestate appreciation. We won't be ready to relocate for about five years. Now that my cottonmouth concerns are abated, I would hate to be priced out of the market by the time we are ready to move. I'm beginning to wonder if it would be a good idea to buy a house now and rent it. If anyone has an understanding of appreciation trends and paterns in the area, I could use some insight. I'm sure records of realestate sales and prices are on public record. I'm just not sure how to look them up.
The cost of living in New Bern is low. Lol, you will be coming from Cali......you will be in much better shape in New Bern. I don't know how things are for you in Cali, but you will be very surprised by what you can afford in New Bern. You will be able to make money off of your house in New Bern, but it will take time. I live here in Raleigh now, the cost of living is way higher here. In New Bern, We made much less, but we were better off. We made about 40,000 dollars on our house in New Bern. But we bought it in 1986, sold it in 2001. Maybe that will give you an idea.

The growth in New Bern is not much at all. The predictions are for only slight growth over the next 5 years. But these things are not always right. But it seems about right to me. I do not think the population will grow more than maybe 6K or 7K during that time span.

It really is a nice town though. Much different than other eastern NC towns.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:27 PM

6 posts, read 35,227 times
Actually I read that in the next 10 yrs. the New Bern vicinity may double in size....

Old 09-27-2015, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,528 times
We are thinking about moving to new Bern or the outskirts of new Berlin. I would like to find a place on the water so I can get a boat parade least watch the water and relax. I am moving there from San Diego. I do have to ask about the humidity in the summer, the snakes and now I understand Here's alligators in the water. I also need to know about horses as my fiancé and her daughter enjoy cushi here's alligators in the water. I also need to know about horses as my fiancé and her daughter enjoy the Westin style riding and having a horse. When her daughter moves she would like to find a property with stables and a small ranch. She is attending medical school and graduate in about 2 1/2 years as a nurse. The prospect of a job for her down there or the big thing. Also what is there to do in new Bern ? Her daughter lives in Vegas now and as I said I live in San Diego. Any information you could tell me about new Bern and the surrounding community would be very helpful. I also read the crime **** to stick a new burned itself is far ahead of everybody else in the crime tAnybody know why

Old 09-27-2015, 02:51 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
Snakes not a problem.

My three corgis are mostly indoors, but we keep them on the three way (flea, tick, heart worm) stuff. We live in a historical area. Everybody walks their dogs, and all dogs bark!

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina