Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:44 PM

69 posts, read 65,602 times

Advertisements

HI, peeps! Husband and I decided we are ready for a new adventure and are going to move from Chicago suburbs to Wilmington. We have two boys. 7 and 10 (going into 2nd and 5th grades), so schools are hugely important. So is the neighborhood we choose to live in. Wondering if any one can share their opinions of Tarin Woods community?

The houses at Tarin Woods that I have looked at (open to both new and already built) are beautiful, we like the idea of having a community center and a pool, but know nothing of the community. Is it large? is it friendly? lots of kids? how much is HOA? Any paths for walking/running? anything else at all you can tell me about this community?

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:37 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
We have two boys. 7 and 10 (going into 2nd and 5th grades), so schools are hugely important. So is the neighborhood we choose to live in. Wondering if any one can share their opinions of Tarin Woods community?

The houses at Tarin Woods that I have looked at (open to both new and already built) are beautiful, we like the idea of having a community center and a pool, but know nothing of the community. Is it large? is it friendly? lots of kids? how much is HOA? Any paths for walking/running?
I can only tell you from what is publicly available. With large 4-bedroom homes and upstairs bedrooms, it is a safe bet the neighbors will be families with kids, rather than retirees. The local schools get excellent ratings in the listing: 9 for the elementary, and 8 for the the middle school.

The aerial view does show sidewalks, but not walking trails. There are about 80 constructed homes now, with a maximum development of over 100 homes. That is not large, by local standards. The streets are mostly cul-de-sacs, so it ought to be safe for kids to ride bikes, scooters or skateboards.

The HOA ought to be in the range of $60-80/month. In fact, one listing says $70/month.

BTW, I would prefer one of the older homes with a larger lot. The new ones seem to be very close together. Good luck with the adventure.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-23-2016 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: HOA fee found

Old 06-23-2016, 06:10 AM

yeah, I kind of gathered all that from the stuff I looked at. Didn't see any HOA fees listed, so thank you for that. We figured it would be around $70ish because of the amenities. We like that the ES and MS get excellent ratings. HS all seem to be a 6 in Wilmington. Wonder why?

I would love a larger lot, too...would love to plant fruit trees and bushes, as well as put up a large greenhouse (if the association doesn't put up barriers), but at the same time, a nice new or newer home sounds wonderful!

I will keep looking for reviews on this community and will try to find a few others, as well.. when i do come out to Wilmington, I may just go knocking on people's doors and ask them about the neighborhood and such

Old 06-23-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
HS all seem to be a 6 in Wilmington. Wonder why?
......when I do come out to Wilmington, I may just go knocking on people's doors and ask them about the neighborhood and such
If you are there in summer, you should see women out pushing baby buggies or walking dogs, so you may not have to knock on doors.

Regarding the greenhouse, you will have to get permission from the HOA, so be sure to get the covenants before signing anything.

Regarding the High Schools, they are feed by several neighborhoods, not just the more homogeneous high-scoring ones. Don't forget that a 5 or 6 means "average", not "bad". Then with a larger pool of students to draw from, there will always be a regression towards the mean, statistically speaking.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-23-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
is it friendly? ..... anything else at all you can tell me about this community?
When you visit the neighborhood, you should see people wave at you when they are in the car or walking. You normally wave back. It is a nice southern custom that transplants should adopt. I never saw it in Maryland, and generally we experienced more friendliness here than we did in Maryland.

I'd suggest you stop at the playground or the pool where you are most likely to find parents and yound kids.

BTW, there is a community web-site, which shows the site plan, and all the builder models at: http://tarinwoods.com/ There are 96 total lots, and it shows which ones are vacant.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-23-2016 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you are there in summer, you should see women out pushing baby buggies or walking dogs, so you may not have to knock on doors.

Regarding the greenhouse, you will have to get permission from the HOA, so be sure to get the covenants before signing anything.

Regarding the High Schools, they are feed by several neighborhoods, not just the more homogeneous high-scoring ones. Don't forget that a 5 or 6 means "average", not "bad". Then with a larger pool of students to draw from, there will always be a regression towards the mean, statistically speaking.
that is an excellent idea about the pool and moms with strollers! yes! I will do that Don't want to freak anyone out by knocking on their door....

Greenhouse.. yes, i know we would have to go through HOA and may not even be allowed to put up the greenhouse. Will check with the village and HOA, most definitely. I think once it gets closer to finalizing our top communities, if Tarin Woods is still in the running, I will then call the HOA and the village and find out what ordinances are in place for that. The one we would get is a bit of a monster-10X12X10 ft, so it would be a noticeable structure, so i'd want to make sure the village is ok with it.

Schools...that makes sense now! I think as long as the school had good honors program or smith similar, good sports program and good academics, i'm ok with a 6. Will have to research that more. Other than GreatSchools site, any other places where I can go to learn more about the school in terms of reviews? i suppose I could search through and post here about individual schools?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Other than GreatSchools site, any other places where I can go to learn more about the school in terms of reviews?
There is an NC Report cards web site, with extremely detailed statistics. Many recommend it, but I find it too detailed.

I simply prefer to visit a school's web site. They normally have a curriculum page which shows how many foreign language courses they teach, what AP classes they have, what sports there are, etc.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
BTW, there is a community web-site, which shows the site plan, and all the builder models at: Tarin Woods There are 96 total lots, and it shows which ones are vacant.
thanks for this! much easier to sift through than the builder site!

Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
There is an NC Report cards web site, with extremely detailed statistics. Many recommend it, but I find it too detailed.

I simply prefer to visit a school's web site. They normally have a curriculum page which shows how many foreign language courses they teach, what AP classes they have, what sports there are, etc.
I want detailed, since i want to know as much as i can about the school. And since i can't go talk to them in person until I'm in Wilmington to buy a house and enroll them. So this is perfect, thank you.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:27 PM

734 posts, read 920,085 times
Default Hospitals in Wilmington

Hi maybe we will be coming from South Carolina some day and relocate north. What is the major and number one hospital in Wilmington NC? We are almost near total retirement age. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina