Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 PM

40 posts, read 229,958 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Well…..we came….we saw…..we rented!!! Before I give my take on Wilmington, I just want to thank everyone who posted their opinions and advice in "Wilmington questions". It made getting around Wilmington much easier, and it was fun to see the places discussed in the post first hand.

We arrived around 10:00pm and stopped at a convenience store for some water. The customer in line ahead of us turned around and said, “So, where youz guys from and what hotel ya staying at?” I was a little freaked out until he started laughing and told us he was from Long Island and was practicing his southern hospitality. We all had a good laugh and chatted for a bit. This was our first encounter in Wilmington.

We were only there for 3 days but managed to find a house, visit the beach, see downtown and Mayfaire, and eat some great food. Here’s what I found…….

The Traffic: We drove around during rush hour on a Friday and the traffic was moving at a steady pace with no unusually long stops. If you are coming from a major city, chances are you won’t think there’s a problem. I will state however that if Wilmington continues to grow, I could see it becoming difficult in the next 5 to 7 years.

The Beach: Clean and Beautiful! Waves were chest to head high. If you surf you will love it! The houses in the area are cute but several look like they are rented to college kids so I’m sure it can get pretty crazy. It’s a small strip of land so parking will be tight during season…….but heck, just park and walk….it’s gorgeous!

Northerners:
I just don’t understand why everyone says they’re taking over!

Restaurants:
There’s a line at the end of the movie Goodfellas, where Ray Liotta goes into witness protection in a small town and says, “Everybody had their hands out. Everything was for the taking. And now it's all over...After I got here I ordered spaghetti with marina sauce and I got egg noodles with ketchup....I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook!” After living in Manhattan, I have to admit I was expecting something similar……boy was I wrong!!!! I had, hands down, the best meatball sub in years, at Martino’s deli. They have everything there made fresh!

We also ate at a place called Sweet and Savory. Fabulous! There are several other Italian delis which we didn’t have time to try, and also David’s, which looks like a Jewish deli. I guess we’ll have our bagels and eat ‘em too!

Here's a pic of a restaurant at the Cotton Exchange. The food was good. The shops there were cheesy but fun!

Downtown:
We loved it! There were more cool shops and things to look at than I expected. Some of my favorites were 008, Edge of Urge (think Urban Outfitters type stuff but smaller) and Flashback which was an amazing vintage clothing shop. There’s a used CD shop that made us feel like we time traveled back to the 90’s, which was fun. They have a section of punk/hardcore 45’s from the 80’s and some classic rock vinyl as well.

I did not see anyone selling crack on the street, as mentioned in the first Wilmington questions post……..however, as you wander away from the main strip of shops and restaurants, it becomes somewhat desolate and I would not walk around alone at night. It’s not like NYC or Miami where there’s people everywhere, so best to stay alert.

The Gay Scene:
Having just come from South Beach, we are used to seeing openly gay couples everywhere. I only saw a few couples in Wilmington, but did not get the sense that anyone thought it was an issue. We saw one coffee shop and one club downtown that caters to a gay clientele, but I’m sure there’s probably more.

Dogs:
I had asked in my previous post if Wilmington is a dog friendly town…….the answer is YES! It was wonderful to see so many people out with their furry friends. They were at the beach, walking around downtown, inside coffee shops, and sitting at outdoor restaurants.

So, we love it and we’ll be Wilmington residents very soon. My first purchase is going to be a long board so I can surf with my husband…..my second purchase will be one of those meatball subs……I’m sure I’ll work up an appetite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 06:14 PM

170 posts, read 983,114 times
Is this recent? Looks very warm for february...people surfing...green trees...

Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
Is this recent? Looks very warm for february...people surfing...green trees...
Yes, we were there last week. The weather was beautiful.....high 50's in the daytime and 30's at night. The water was cold and the surfers had full wet suits, most with gloves and booties. From what I've read, Wilmington doesn't have harsh winters and there isn't much of a color change in Fall since it's a sub-tropical climate.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Great pics and posts dogluver! Glad your trip was so successful

Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 PM

170 posts, read 983,114 times
Sub Tropical? Sounds nice...

Where are you from? I'm from New Jersey and Wilmington is on the list of relocation. I heard a lot of people from the tri-state area moved there so it would be a place to fit in.
I need to visit.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:38 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
oh, if you are from jersey, you will fit right in! glad you had a good time dogluvr! hope you enjoyed wrightsville beach. enjoy it while you can because chances are, when summer hits, you will start looking for another beach. topsail is north of town and much less crowded. isn't sweet and savory the VA tech bar/grill? so you obviously saw the NY influence downtown! did you see the "brooklyn arts district?" did you end up renting a house downtown? well, congratulations to ya. if you need any advice of places to eat, let me know. there are tons of good places to eat around here.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Great pictures. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

Downtown is empty this time of year. Things start cranking up in April and May, and those downtown streets will have many more people.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
Sub Tropical? Sounds nice...

Where are you from? I'm from New Jersey and Wilmington is on the list of relocation. I heard a lot of people from the tri-state area moved there so it would be a place to fit in.
I need to visit.
We are coming from South Beach via NYC. I also spent time on the West coast before I was married, in Long Beach and San Francisco. Being by the ocean is a big plus! We found a nice mix of people in Wilmington and felt right at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
oh, if you are from jersey, you will fit right in! glad you had a good time dogluvr! hope you enjoyed wrightsville beach. enjoy it while you can because chances are, when summer hits, you will start looking for another beach. topsail is north of town and much less crowded. isn't sweet and savory the VA tech bar/grill? so you obviously saw the NY influence downtown! did you see the "brooklyn arts district?" did you end up renting a house downtown? well, congratulations to ya. if you need any advice of places to eat, let me know. there are tons of good places to eat around here.
I didn't see the "Brooklyn arts district", although I'm sure I might have missed it if I blinked from what was described. We liked the Forest Hills area that you mentioned in the other post, but it looked pricey, plus we wanted to be closer to the beach.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM

61 posts, read 293,667 times
We'll be moving dow nthere from western NY sometime late March. We wish we were a month earlier to had mssed the northern winter.

Dogluvr; Your one pic of the NY pizza place, do you recal lwhere that was taken? Did you try it was it real NY style? Considering I really can't get NYC style pizza in western NY ,I suppose it really shouldn't eve nmatter anyway, but anything close to NYC style pizza would be good.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_ny View Post
Dogluvr; Your one pic of the NY pizza place, do you recal lwhere that was taken? Did you try it was it real NY style? Considering I really can't get NYC style pizza in western NY ,I suppose it really shouldn't eve nmatter anyway, but anything close to NYC style pizza would be good.
It is downtown, on front street, near the corner of princess & front. It is very cheap, and pretty good. I'm not sure if it is "real NY style" - but it is big and floppy, and you need to fold it.

Slice of life is also downtown, not NY style, but slightly better and much more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina