Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:16 AM

69 posts, read 65,488 times

Advertisements

Hi all! we are moving to Wilmington from Chicago area as soon as our house sells here. Our kids are 7 and 10 (going into 2nd and 5th grades). Would love to end up in the Parsley/Holly tree elementary school, Roland-Griese/Myrtle Grove MS and Hoggard HS district. All my research and talking to people here seems to indicate those are the best schools in Wilmington....

Our budget hovers around $350K- possibly a bit more, possibly a bit less (deepening on how much our house here sells for). Our ideal house would look like this: new or newer (5-7 y.o.), 3000+ sq.ft, 4 bedrooms, office, loft/media room, at least a .25 acre yard. Community pool would be a plus, but not a must. Not discounting existing homes, as I know new homes in that area are almost non-existent. I did just come across a brand new community called Melton Oaks, so getting in contact with them.

Our plan is this: as soon as we have a contract on our house here, i will fly out to Wilmington for a week and essentially narrow down our choices and either buy a house or if we build, commit to that. If need be, I'll rent smh for us. Then we move as soon as we close here Some people will think it's too fast of a move, but we are ready for a new adventure and i'm doing all the research online now and talking to a ton of people, so if we can narrow down a few neighborhoods and properties and one of them vows me in person, we'll go ahead and buy

HP91 has been hugely helpful with suggesting some neighborhoods... Looked into Forks at Barclay, they are way out of our price range. Looking into Woodberry Forest, which seems like a really nice neighborhood. Looking for more suggestions

thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 08:56 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
I did just come across a brand new community called Melton Oaks, so getting in contact with them.
There is a Wilmington real estate web site which allows a search by elementary school district. Then you can sort the listings by your price range. It also turned up The Park At Willowick, but the builder, Stevens Fine Homes, does a very basic plain box. I think you can do better.

In Holly Tree, I also turn up Somersett Place and Holly Glen Estates. Lots of houses go under contract in these schol districts go under contract quickly, so todays' lisitings won't be there when you arrive.

I wiil pass you a couple of links, as we cannot direct recommend a real estate site.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There is a Wilmington real estate web site which allows a search by elementary school district. Then you can sort the listings by your price range. It also turned up The Park At Willowick, but the builder, Stevens Fine Homes, does a very basic plain box. I think you can do better.

In Holly Tree, I also turn up Somersett Place and Holly Glen Estates. Lots of houses go under contract in these schol districts go under contract quickly, so todays' lisitings won't be there when you arrive.

I wiil pass you a couple of links, as we cannot direct recommend a real estate site.
thank you!! i do realize my home searches are very preliminary (unless our house sells very fast, also possible)... but if i find a new home builder, then obviously worth the research.

Have you heard of Melton Oaks by Robuck? i just came across them last night and they are in the Hoggard school district! I contacted them and just waiting to hear back.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:21 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoshka View Post
Have you heard of Melton Oaks by Robuck? i just came across them last night and they are in the Hoggard school district! I contacted them and just waiting to hear back.
I had not heard of this specific development. I only saw them in the in the listings I sent. Robuck's web site says only "coming soon". So unless the will have a spec house completed by August, I don't think you should wait on them, as you need a house immediately. Robuck is a typical mid-range builder, and I can't comment on their quality.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I had not heard of this specific development. I only saw them in the in the listings I sent. Robuck's web site says only "coming soon". So unless the will have a spec house completed by August, I don't think you should wait on them, as you need a house immediately. Robuck is a typical mid-range builder, and I can't comment on their quality.
IF we found a good home to build, we'd be ok with renting smth while we wait for completion. Moving twice is not ideal, but for a new house, I would do it
however, I'm not ruling out existing homes, as you and HP91 have recommended - and also considering that in the Hoggard HS district there are pretty much no new homes and I think this is the school district for us So I'm open to a variety of scenarios

Old 06-24-2016, 06:04 PM

13 posts, read 23,304 times
I would at least check into Willowick while you're there. The size and floor plans sound right for you, and with your budget you could add in upgrades galore. It's down the street from Melton Oaks. Both neighborhoods have small lots.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:42 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Speaking of Hoggard, work has started on its renovations, which include a new gym and a new cafeteria.

It appears much of the west parking lot will be lost because of building a retention pond along with the gym. Hoggard has plenty of parking behind the stadium and this may actually consolidate traffic to just the light at Long Leaf Center and away from 41st St.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ame0110 View Post
I would at least check into Willowick while you're there. The size and floor plans sound right for you, and with your budget you could add in upgrades galore. It's down the street from Melton Oaks. Both neighborhoods have small lots.
i looked into Willowick and only part of the subdivision is in the Hoggard school district. The ones on the market aren't so imprestive-because of the small lots. I think i will contact the builder and see what all they have available, just in case they have some bigger lots left.... thank you for the info!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Speaking of Hoggard, work has started on its renovations, which include a new gym and a new cafeteria.

It appears much of the west parking lot will be lost because of building a retention pond along with the gym. Hoggard has plenty of parking behind the stadium and this may actually consolidate traffic to just the light at Long Leaf Center and away from 41st St.
that's great to hear! if we manage to end up in this school district, it's great to know kids will have an updated school to go to

Old 06-27-2016, 11:47 AM

Looked into Molten Oaks. Waiting to hear back from the rep with the upgrades pricing so we can see what the final price on a floor plan we like would be. What's turning us off is two things-tiny lots-most are .15-.17 acre and a HOA of $52...when asked, "for what?? there are 20 homes and no pool or any other amenities...", the response was rather amusing...."errrrr......well, there are sidewalks.... and it goes towards a general area maintenance." bogus. also, the taxes are 1.06%, so on our size house, we would be looking at around $3500-3800 in taxes....which is very high for Wilmington and that plus the HOA is pricing us out of our range very quickly. I will wait for her email with prices, but not holding my breath honestly.. i think we do need to look at existing properties, if we want to be in the Hoggard school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina