U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 06:42 AM

713 posts, read 3,471,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on Swansboro. I have a job opportunity in Jacksonville that would transfer to Moorehead City in June/July. Swansboro looks like it might be a good compromise, near the water (which is what i really want and kinda in the middle) any info on Swansboro would be great, what the commute might be like to both loacation's (Jax/MHC) housing in Swansboro, is it a safe area? Scenic, you know, all the normal questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
We moved to the area a little over a year ago. We live in the western side of Carteret County on the White Oak River. We are about ten minutes by boat or car from Swansboro.

This is a map of the area (http://coastalnc.org/generalarea - broken link) to orient you.

There is a tremendous variety of housing from Swansboro east on 24 towards Morehead City. There are plenty of different options regarding water, from just being able to see water to communities with boat slips and/or marinas.

The boating is fantastic in the area. The Intracoastal Waterway comes right by Swansboro.

There is very little crime in the whole area which in fact is just a group of small towns strung together. Cedar Point, Cape Carteret, Emerald Isle and Swansboro all seem to get along very well and to cooperate.

We were just at the Swansboro Pig Cook Off and Craft Show yesterday at the Rotary Club Civic Center. People are very friendly and easy to meet. The area is well populated with people from all over. There were a couple of lobster dinners festivals held by local Episcopal churches in the area during October.

As to the commute, the Jacksonville commute will likely be a little longer because of Jacksonville traffic, but it depends on where you end up living and where the job is. Nothing is very far away.

We can be to the mall in Morehead City in under 20 minutes. It takes us about thirty minutes to go to Jacksonville unless we go the back way which shaves off five minutes assuming you don't get behind some traffic.

Even New Bern is only forty five minutes from the area.

The whole Crystal Coast is a very scenic area from Swansboro to Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguide - broken link) and Down East where you catch the ferry for Ocracoke.

I have a website with pictures from our first year.

We have had a wonderful time living here. There are some great little restaurants in the area, fantastic fresh seafood, and plenty of beaches for walking.

The climate has turned out to be even better than we expected. We're on the water and slept with our windows open until the end of June.

July, Aug, and the first part of September were warm, but we never got above 93 degrees though the humidity was high.

My favorite statistic is that we only had nineteen hours of below freezing temperatures in the whole month of January. We also had eleven days when it got about 70 degrees.

This part of NC also isn't nearly as dry as the rest of the state. We have had regular moisture this summer. We're still getting tomatoes. I just picked fifteen ripe tomatoes off our plants yesterday. I was also really pleased to see the strawberries ripe this past spring by April 13.

These are photos that I took on the beach on November 1 (Thursday of this week) when the temperature hit eighty degrees. It was like summer.

Coming up soon is the Swansboro Flotilla and Shopping by Candlelight. Then there is the old fashioned Emerald Isle Christmas parade. Of course you just missed the Mullet Festival which is the biggest festival of the year. My favorite is the Swansboro Oyster Roast, Pig Out and Cotillion which is held in March.

Here are pictures of the Oyster Roast, Emerald Isle Parade, and Mullet Festival

If you search for posts by dsobotta on the forum, you can see lots of commentary on the area.

I have a website with lots of info on the area and links to local papers.

I also maintain a Carteret County Blog and one which chronicles much of our first year here.

For area information you can also check out my travel guides for Swansboro and Emerald Isle
There is also lot of local information in Dropping Anchor a free local magazine which you can download.

I would also be happy to answer any housing questions you might have if you want to send either a private email or a note to me at dsobotta@coastalnc.org .

We will look forward to having you as a neighbor. Did I say the fishing is great?

-David Sobotta

Last edited by dsobotta; 11-04-2007 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Left out two words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 03:08 AM

928 posts, read 3,535,211 times
This post is almost 1 year old.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 AM

713 posts, read 3,471,718 times
Default That's funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
This post is almost 1 year old.
I hadn't even noticed. I wonder how it got back to the forum.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,172 times
Sorry didnt realize

SW

Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,807 times
David,
I appreciate all of the great links and information you shared on the Swansboro area. Just getting started on a move to the area to work at Camp Legeune. I would be curious how the area has changed since you made this post in 2007? Is crime worse or the same? traffic? or is Swansboro still a small, quaint town? I used to live in Long Beach over 12 years ago and when I visited a few years ago was kind of amazed at the growth in the area leading onto the Island. If you are familiar with Southport, is Swansboro similar to Southport?

Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
This thread is about 6 years old, there is good info in this thread so for now it will stay open.
If you need info I suggest starting a new thread under the forum index page.
Members are welcome to update this thread.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 PM

107 posts, read 215,080 times
Swansboro is still a great low crime town. More stores have opened and it even has two gyms. My wife belongs to curves. They are putting in upgraded boat ramps in Cedar Point. Lots of homes are for sale and prices are down a bit from 2006-7...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina