U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:58 AM

20 posts, read 79,643 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on Swansboro. I have a job opportunity in Jacksonville that would transfer to Moorehead City in June/July. Swansboro looks like it might be a good compromise, near the water (which is what i really want and kinda in the middle) any info on Swansboro would be great, what the commute might be like to both loacation's (Jax/MHC) housing in Swansboro, is it a safe area? Scenic, you know, all the normal questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 10:57 PM

94 posts, read 318,089 times
Swansboro is a really small but very quaint town. Not much there but it's a really charming and safe community (spent a many a night fishing from a pier at the park there ).

Although basically the same distance, the drive to Morehead will feel longer. If I'm not mistaken hwy 24 goes from S'boro to MC through the country. Hwy 58 is the scenic route but be sure & watch your speed on that road. However, there's no major traffic on either route to worry about.

Not sure about the housing but I found some pics for you from a real estate site.

http://www.islandhomesrealty.com/swan1.html (broken link)

http://www.cruisingguide.com/ncphoto/ncphoto12.html (broken link)

Good luck on your move!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:20 AM

fern33, thanks for the info, very helpful. One thing ive heard about Morehead City is that it has a year round population of about 80,000 that swells to about 300,000 in the summer. That could certinaly make the summertime commute a little longer. Do you know it there is any truth to that? Thanks again.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 AM

94 posts, read 318,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
fern33, thanks for the info, very helpful. One thing ive heard about Morehead City is that it has a year round population of about 80,000 that swells to about 300,000 in the summer. That could certinaly make the summertime commute a little longer. Do you know it there is any truth to that? Thanks again.

I go to Morehead alot and 300,000 sounds like a big stretch to me. The only time I've ever seen traffic probs there is on holidays and summer weekends, and they aren't bad at all except on hwy 70. Still, hwy 24 would probably be the best route to go since the tourists use 58.

If you have any more questions just let me know. There's another poster here named Beffrey who's familiar with the area and might could help you too.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:38 PM

Thanks again Fern you've been a big help.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 62,400 times
I live in Beaufort, east of Morehead City -along Hwy 70. I work in Morehead City. While it is true we a lot of tourist in the summer months, traffic is never what I would consider a problem. Hwy 24 will take you back and froth to Swansboro with no problems. It gets a bit conjested around the Emerald Isle bridge to the beaches but that's about all. I know many people who live in the Swansboro/Hubert area and work in MHC. If you have any other questions I would love to help.
oceanmom

Old 11-29-2006, 06:39 PM

What about the commute from Swansboro to Jacksonville, how would that commute be? Again thanks for all of your help.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,357,197 times
Dugan,
Hwy. 24 is 5 lanes from Swansboro to Morehead City. It is a straight drive with virtually no lights and comparitively no traffic.
Hwy. 24 from Swansboro to Jacksonville is two lanes east and two lanes west-Again, a straight drive with not much tracffic.
Once in Jacksonville you will have to be aware of the base traffic.
The population of Morehead City is not 80,000. In fact-The entire county has a population less than 65,000.
The population of Morehead City is somewhere around 8,000.
I live in Morehead and have a business associated with folks relocating to the area. Please check my profile.
Take Care,
Bill Hitchcock

Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 PM

Bill, thanks again for all your help, you to oceanmom,and fern, it's greatly appreciated. Dugan

Old 11-03-2007, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,173 times
Hello Swansboro is a great area the fishing is great.
Thanks SW

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-05-2007 at 05:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina