Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM

729 posts, read 1,313,249 times

Advertisements

Looking for information, good or bad, on the south harbor development in southport nc? we are a retired couple currently living in NE (daughter lives in southport and loves it). she had recommended south harbor but I don't find any posts specifically related to that development. thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 01:47 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Looking for information, good or bad, on the south harbor development in southport nc? we are a retired couple currently living in NE (daughter lives in southport and loves it). she had recommended south harbor but I don't find any posts specifically related to that development. thank you in advance!
There is a South Harbour Golf Links (note the spelling). There was also a web site for South Harbour Village Sales, but the web site seems not to work any more, so I'm not sure of its status.

There are homes for sale around Vanesssa Drive, Minnesota Drive and Glen Cove between the $120K-176K range.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM

257 posts, read 491,258 times
Default South Harbor village - update

South Harbor Village seem to be a nice golf course community with marina, tennis, and next to Dutch Creek Park, looking at website photos. We'll visit it next month.

Is the community mostly retirees or are there families with young kids? Owner-occupied/vacation home owners or mostly renters?

Is it well-maintained by the HOA and safe, family-friendly community?

The homes listed are built in the mid-2000. Does anyone know the builder of this community?

Are the homes well built?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Is the community mostly retirees or are there families with young kids? Owner-occupied/vacation home owners or mostly renters?
The one clue I find is the statement that the developer Ed Burnett "Burnett set aside property for a Montessori School and a community church, and then invited the local yacht club and their sailing school to dock at the South Harbour Village Marina." This quote is from: South Harbour Village in Southport, NC

The Montessori school (Pre-K through 8) gets rave reviews by parents at Greatschools.org. I assume there are children in the neighborhood.

Regarding the builder, the homes look solid but not luxurious. For example, I didn't see crown molding or granite in the listings, and the cabinets are all inexpensive white ones. I don't know who the builder was. I also note a couple that are selling for less than their original sales price in 2005. (Is that a red flag?)

My opinion is that the community looks nice, and seems to have great waterfront and golf. I hope you find it is what you want.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-07-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 AM

When I said "sturdy", I was referring to the single family houses. The condos look like a different builder, and the look like they were meant to be weekend places. I wouldn't expect much of places selling for under $120K.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 PM

257 posts, read 491,258 times
thanks, goldenage.. we'll be visiting the community in a few weeks. We like the proximity to Dutch Creek Park and Oak Island beach. Great for the kids.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
thanks, goldenage.. we'll be visiting the community in a few weeks. We like the proximity to Dutch Creek Park and Oak Island beach. Great for the kids.

Did you ever visit? What were your impressions of the common areas, the folks living there, and the houses in general. I like the location.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:54 PM

I think So. harbor Village is actually Oak Island, which seems to have it's problems

( Why are so many properties for sale on Oak Island? - [domain blocked due to spam] ).

Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 AM

35 posts, read 72,182 times
Default South Harbor Village

Quote:
South Harbor Village seem to be a nice golf course community with marina, tennis, and next to Dutch Creek Park, looking at website photos.

I notice there is a local airport very nearby. Is airplane noise a problem with residents?

I'm also interested in getting replies to the OP's original question regarding retirees and owner/renter occupancy.

Thanks much.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:33 AM

140 posts, read 316,884 times
I spend a lot of time at the storage facility nearby and noise from the airport is almost non existant. The majority of take offs and landing are north of Long Beach Rd. away from the homes.

Plus 90% of the aircraft are private prop planes which may change as the airport grows.

Ron W.

Last edited by rjsurfer; 12-04-2018 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina