U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 03:26 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,460,711 times

Advertisements

I am semi retired and considering moving to coastal NC...
Here are my thoughts & ideas..
Would love ideas for places to check out...

*I am single with kids all over the country so no family considerations to be near really.

*Within 30 minutes to decent restaurants & shopping would be nice.

*Prefer not to live in a crowded place, Wilmington does not appeal to me but 30 minutes from there would.

*Enjoy quiet secluded beaches to walk the dog, inland waterways for kayaking & fishing.
Turtle protection would be neat..

*Love Oak Island & quaintness of Southport but the crowds in the summer are a bit much..

* My Part Time work plans should be fine anywhere and won't be a factor to work around.

* Love NC but might consider SC , maybe North Ga Coast..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 04:31 PM

51 posts, read 135,928 times
Rivers Edge in Shallotte.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:36 PM

711 posts, read 590,593 times
You can't go wrong in either of the Carolinas.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 PM

11,253 posts, read 19,782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
*Prefer not to live in a crowded place, Wilmington does not appeal to me but 30 minutes from there would.

*Enjoy quiet secluded beaches to walk the dog, inland waterways for kayaking & fishing.
Turtle protection would be neat..
About 30 minutes northeast of Wilmington would be Surf City. It is not "secluded" in the summer, but it's very quiet in the winter. It has a very active turtle watch volunteer group.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:40 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,460,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoutofNJDave View Post
Rivers Edge in Shallotte.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
About 30 minutes northeast of Wilmington would be Surf City. It is not "secluded" in the summer, but it's very quiet in the winter. It has a very active turtle watch volunteer group.
Never been to either of these places and will enjoy checking them out..Thanks

Old 07-18-2016, 10:03 PM

379 posts, read 483,303 times
Buy a boat and live in a marina. There are a few folks that go that route.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:38 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
Virtually all coastal areas of NC are crowded in the summer. Southport is a wonderful place to live.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:43 PM

713 posts, read 3,472,030 times
Smile Consider the Crystal Coast

The Crystal Coast which is officially defined as the beaches within Carteret County is a great place to live. We moved here ten years ago after extensively evaluating beach areas in North Carolina and Virginia. We are also familiar with the South Carolina coast down to Murrell's Inlet. We were in Wilmington yesterday and it has too much traffic for me and SC is far worse. The Crystal Coast has some advantages that other areas do not. On the backside we have 158,000 acres of the Croatan National Forest, to the west we have Camp Lejeune (but we also have a great big coastal river, the White Oak (almost two miles wide at our home) between us and the Marines. To the south and east we have beaches including the 56 miles of Cape Lookout National Seashore. Most of the towns are still small 1,500 to 6,000 people but because of the summer visitors we have great services. The home density in the Emerald Isle area is similar to the Northern Outer Banks. This link takes you to a list of beach towns and their populations. Medical services are very good in Morehead City. Between Jacksonville, New Bern, and MHC we don't miss anything except Trader Joe's which we can visit in Wilmington which is an hour and forty-five minutes away. There are two airports within 45 minutes and the Raleigh-Durham airport is about three hours away. Home prices are also very reasonable. Our beaches including Hammock Beach near Swansboro (the adopted child of the Crystal Coast) are some of the best around. While we get crowds in the summer, it only lasts for six weeks and my personal opinion is that ours are some of the least crowded beaches in the state. I have walked all the beaches within Emerald Isle so I can say that with some autority. Have a look at some pictures I took on the beach this summer at this page of online albums and decide for yourself. I have not been involved actively in real estate for over five years so I am not interested in selling you property just providing some balance to the other information you have received. The Crystal Coast is often overlooked because it is not at the end of an Interstate. However, we have great four lane roads that lead out of the area and they are getting better. We are only five hours from Charlotte and six to seven from DC depending on traffic. However, we are just far enough off the beaten path to keep from being swamped with visitors but we have very good four lane roads out of the area. We live ten to fifteen minutes from the beach which is just about right if you don't want to spend a lot of money on insurance. Insurance is a downside to all areas close to the water. We have lots of good family run restaurants (I'll put the grouper at Riverside Steak & Seafood up against any comers) and it you want to go to famous spots, the Chef and the Farm and their sister restaurant, the Boiler Room, are only an hour away. We still have real fish houses but all of your services are no more than 15 to 20 minutes away in most parts of the county. We also have some of the best produce stands on the coast since this is still a very agricultural county.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-19-2016 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: left out produce stands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or