U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,078 times

Advertisements

My husband, 5 year old daughter, and I are thinking about relocating to the Northeast Corner of NC from UpState NY, his work will likely be in Elizabeth City, so we're looking to locate within 30 minutes of the city.

We have know idea where to start with this whole relocating thing, what should we do first?

What should we check out when we go down to visit the area next month?

Can anyone tell me about the elementary schools in the area?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 20,540 times
I would suggest you check out Currituck first. Just google the name. Second, I would suggest Camden. Then Paquotank, that's the county Elizabeth City is in.
Currituck is less than 30 Minutes from Elizabeth City and has some of the highest rated schools in the state. You can go to the City-data home page and pull up any info you want on demographics of Elizabeth City, Camden, and Currituck.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:38 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,696,454 times
In my opinion, you should make Elizabeth City your "base of operations" for exploring the area, and seriously consider going ahead and living there. Charming town on the river, not too big at all, all kinds of neighborhoods, Coast Guard base is there, community college is there, a university, hospital. Schools for all grades are fine (I went there years ago, the high school band is great), people are friendly, weather is warm, low crime. Hampton Inn is okay to stay in, but there are some newer ones in town, I hear....stay in the best hotel you can find. Be sure to drive up and down Main Street and Church Streets, from the waterfront all the way to where they end at the main boulevard that encircles the city, see how pretty all the Victorian homes are, dogwoods will be blooming when you visit. There are several suburbs part of ECity of more modern homes with kids playing in the street, that sort of thing, a realtor can drive you around to see what's available in your price range. He can also tell you more about outlying areas and towns, but there is nothing wrong with living right there in that town. It is just so totally different from what you are used to up north, real Southern small-town living, it will blow you away. Have a nice trip. Oh, and the beach is just an hour away.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM

23 posts, read 86,572 times
I moved to Elizabeth City from Poughkeepsie, NY 6 years ago and it was a change! Not a bad one though! Things are a lot different in the south but you get used to them. The pricing on houses has gone up a lot in the last few years. You can look in downtown elizabeth city at the historic houses. A lot of them are for sale and they are HUGE! That would be my first bet. I went to high school here and it seemed slower to me. My first two years spent here were review basically because I had already learned it in New York. However, elementary schools are pretty good I hear.

I hope I've helped out in some way! Feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 AM

90 posts, read 311,063 times
I would suggest (as did n2homes) Currituck County , the schools are great, taxes are way lower and short ride to the Outer Banks Beach, Va or Elizebeth city.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 20,540 times
The reality is, what one of us might like about a certain city, area, or county, might be just what it is you DON'T like. When you visit this area, explore the city and the surrounding countys. I work in Elizabeth City, but live in Moyock in Currituck County. I personally like the convenience to ELizabeth City AND Virginia. But, as I said, that's me.
[mod] tos violation Please read it [/mod].

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-05-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 PM

221 posts, read 916,535 times
I have a question, as well.

Perquimans (sp?) County schools have advertised a teacher job fair for April. Since I live in the state where you cannot buy a teaching job (PA), I was wondering about coming down to check it out. I am ready to move...somewhere. My mom's family are all from Alabama, so, southern ways are understood by me. I'm no Yankee looking to change the locals. I would just like to get my classroom back! Ready for work, eager to teach, I was looking for some input about this area. I lived in the DC/Baltimore area, and taught in both private and public schools. City kids do not scare me, nor do rural ones, as I've taught both, and everything inbetween. The only thing I can recall about EC is that I had a friend years ago who went to the Coast Guard base there, and he enjoyed the area. Really, I'm growing weary of this "wait until we have openings" in the schools around here. I'm just getting older!

What are your impressions of Elizabeth City? Do you have children in the elementary schools? Must I be a local to secure a job? They have to be looking for outside candidates, as they have advertised this job fair up here. I'm single, and not 25, so whoo-hoo, party town, I'm not looking for. I want to teach, and am looking for something different. Perhaps this could be it.

Thank you in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina