U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:49 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,363,487 times

Advertisements

north carolina isn't humid????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM

83 posts, read 333,210 times
Yea...was scratching my head on that one as well.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,608 times
The coast of NC is beautiful, but balancing salary rates and cost of living is very difficult. We have friends that just recently had to move to Charleston, SC in order to get a decent paying job.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 AM

what are you all talking about. you can easily find a job here making $7.50 per hour! easy! that is around $15,000 per year folks. jobs here pay great!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,647,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8escapes View Post
I'm a Northerner looking at North Carolina as a place to work and eventually retire. I chose North Carolina over South Carolina because the climate is very similar to the North without being humid. I vacationed in South Carolina and it can be very HUMID in the summer. I also am sick of shoveling snow and hazardous driving. I"m not certain that this will help much, but I love the pine trees of North Carolina. I come from a state where pine trees are everywhere (Michigan) and I won't mind a change, but still would like to be less than homesick.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

These are the USDA "Hardiness" zones. They indicate how well different plants grow, which corresponds to heat, humidity, and frost. (State maps are not to scale)

You can see that the change runs southeast to northwest. So I would not necessarily say that NC is less humid than SC. If you are in the upstate of SC, it is less humid than eastern NC, for example. Generally speaking, though, the Carolinas are covered in Pine Trees, from the coast to the foothills.

Last edited by autumngal; 03-06-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 AM

217 posts, read 1,032,439 times
I think this is a great place to live and can certainly see why people would be enthusiastic about the possibility of moving here. I am an NC native and have lived here 13 years. Yes, there have been many changes in 13 years (surprise, surprise). As with any growing community, there will be growing pains.

My husband is from the North (Boston area) and he has family ready to make the move down here. They are absolutely in love with it:-) We welcome happy positive people to our area

Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 AM

I don't really see why people would be so excited to move here. it's not any different than any other place. there really isn't too much to wilmington. it's tiny. drive a mile up 40 and you are in the abyss. it is a much better place for some people than it is for others. if you are retired, wilmington isn't too bad. warm weather and golf. it all comes down to a quality of life issue and the numbers in wilmington don't work and this area is going to get crushed by the upcoming recession.

NC average household income $40,700
wilmington average $36,900

NC average home price $128,000
wilmington average $169,000

Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,999,121 times
Default Moderator Note:

***This is a reminder to please stay on topic and do not stray too far from the Original Post which can be found below for you to review. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackPack View Post
Hey Everyone!

My girlfriend and I are looking to move to North Carolina from New Hampshire. We are looking at the Shallotte area. We are just trying to get first person information about the area. Everyone has different opinions, but we are encouraging everyone to help us out.

We are just trying to get away from the 6 feet of snow and negative temperatures. Maybe find a great place to start a family, but not right off.

We are just looking for information on the area and what it is like. Please share any experiences that you have that might help us choose North Carolina over South Carolina. Thank you in advance for your help!

We hope to be your neighbors soon!

-M

Last edited by autumngal; 03-06-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina