U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:30 PM

32 posts, read 36,295 times

Advertisements

Seriously looking at moving to Wilmington. In looking at a bunch of new construction and newer home listings, it seems most are electric heat. Can anyone tell me why the builders would go that route and also what can be expected for a monthly bill with electric heat in a home about 2500 sq ft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 03:17 PM

49 posts, read 64,508 times
Haven't moved ( or built) yet so i cant tell you the cost but simple answer is most new homes have a Heat Pump. the central air conditioning compressor basically runs in reverse during the winter taking heat out of outside air and converting it to inside heat. Since the temperature rarely goes very low its sufficient. There is an addtional inside coil for the occasional time where there may be a freeze such that the heat pump cant extract sufficient heat from outside air.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 PM

725 posts, read 1,302,500 times
I don't live in Wilmington but the Raleigh area in a house about that size with a heat pump. It's warmer in Wilmington on average than Raleigh in Jan and Feb (by a few degrees) but our bills in Jan through March are between $160 and $200 before dropping significantly in April. Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcali View Post
Haven't moved ( or built) yet so i cant tell you the cost but simple answer is most new homes have a Heat Pump. the central air conditioning compressor basically runs in reverse during the winter taking heat out of outside air and converting it to inside heat. Since the temperature rarely goes very low its sufficient. There is an addtional inside coil for the occasional time where there may be a freeze such that the heat pump cant extract sufficient heat from outside air.
That sounds like a great answer NJcali, thanks! Anyone able to provide cost estimate?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
I don't live in Wilmington but the Raleigh area in a house about that size with a heat pump. It's warmer in Wilmington on average than Raleigh in Jan and Feb (by a few degrees) but our bills in Jan through March are between $160 and $200 before dropping significantly in April. Hope this helps.
it does help, thanks...around $100 safe to say April thru Dec?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:24 PM

11,255 posts, read 19,786,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscasct View Post
No, if you are going to run air-conditioning in the summer, your bills will be almost as high as in the winter.

With a 3400 SF house and two heat pumps, we paid $312 for the coldest month and about $275 for the hottest month. Scale the number back if you would have a smaller house.

BTW, there is no natural gas availability in Wilmington, although there is some natural gas in southern Brunswick County.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
No, if you are going to run air-conditioning in the summer, your bills will be almost as high as in the winter.

With a 3400 SF house and two heat pumps, we paid $312 for the coldest month and about $275 for the hottest month. Scale the number back if you would have a smaller house.

BTW, there is no natural gas availability in Wilmington, although there is some natural gas in southern Brunswick County.
got it thanks

Old 08-02-2016, 06:43 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,748,091 times
Heat pumps will leave you with several days of cool air in Wilmington. I understand the science and "heat" but if it gets cool enough, you will be cold in your house, even with the electric heat going (and that IS expensive).

If I had any way whatsoever, I would try to get gas heat, even in Wilmington, but with a heat pump, you will have only a handful of days when you will be uncomfortable.

When we lived down there, our summer bills were MUCH HIGHER than our winter bills. It has been awhile, and I don't remember.

Just make sure that the heat pump is the right size for your home. Too many builders will put a cheaper one in that is not quite big enough.

Good Luck.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 PM

725 posts, read 1,302,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscasct View Post
For me, around $100 in early Spring but back up to $130 for June. I work from home though so I tend to keep AC around 76 in the summer when I am working. Winter low 70s upper 60's upstairs.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:13 AM

11,255 posts, read 19,786,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If I had any way whatsoever, I would try to get gas heat, even in Wilmington, but with a heat pump, you will have only a handful of days when you will be uncomfortable.
In the winter (2014?) when the polar vortex hung over the area, we had temperatures in the single digits. The electric furnace part of the heat pump worked overtime because the heat pump could not get enough heat. That was when the bills were really high.

It helps to have a propane fireplace to supplement the heat pump at those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or