U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 PM

50 posts, read 153,812 times

Advertisements

are there any nice areas in eastern NC to the coast? my husband was offed a position in outside sales position over the eastern part of NC to the right of I-95 and above 264. We are looking for somewhere to raise a family with great schools, $250-300K for a house and a town that has shops/restaurants but maintain a small town feel. After reading some posts about eastern NC being the worst place to live in NC I am feeling depressed and hesitant. We feel like my husband's job is too good to pass up and need an idea on where to live. We are from the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 AM

39 posts, read 198,668 times
There are nice areas on the coast. I would look near Greenville. quite a few small towns around the sound.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 AM

713 posts, read 3,474,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc0607 View Post
are there any nice areas in eastern NC to the coast? my husband was offed a position in outside sales position over the eastern part of NC to the right of I-95 and above 264. We are looking for somewhere to raise a family with great schools, $250-300K for a house and a town that has shops/restaurants but maintain a small town feel. After reading some posts about eastern NC being the worst place to live in NC I am feeling depressed and hesitant. We feel like my husband's job is too good to pass up and need an idea on where to live. We are from the Dallas-Fort Worth area in Texas.
We are a little far south for you in Carteret County, but I certainly don't think eastern NC is the worst place to live in NC.

We love living here, and I know lots of people who would agree with me.

We're about 100 miles south and east of Interstate 95 and about 1.5 hours from Greenville.

Come visit eastern NC, and I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM

217 posts, read 1,032,165 times
I would also say Greenville. Don't believe everything you read. Unfortunately, there seem to be more unhappy folks on the eastern NC posts. Come visit...there are many great things to love about Eastern NC. Don't worry!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,871,489 times
In happy defense of Eastern Coastal NC

Gosh, hard to believe some folks are unhappy with Eastern NC...guess it all depends on what you're looking for?

Me, I was hoping for new, true friendships, natural beauty of sea, sounds and inlets, lots less traffic, creative folks, a bit of quietude, friendly people, affordable housing (compared to CA and other large metro areas), and a feeling of not having to watch my back, crime-wise.

Clean air was a big plus, too.

In return, I was hoping to contribute to my community, be a good friend, live more simply, re-invent myself career-wise and have some time to smell the roses--or night-blooming jasmine.

My husband and I landed, very happily, in Beaufort, in Carteret County, and we couldn't be more delighted. Other neat coastal towns would be Morehead City, Swansboro, Cape Carteret, Oriental, New Bern, Edenton, Southport and several others that slip my mind. Belhaven's sweet, and tiny historic Bath is adorable--cute as a bug's ear. Gotta be alert or you'll miss it. Get out of the car and walk around.

Golly, if wild horses, leaping dolphins, the beautiful expanses of beach at Cape Lookout National Seashore and Ocracoke (voted best U.S. beach in 2007 by Dr. Beach), Shakleford Banks, and leafy streets with historic homes for pedaling your bike don't make you happy, well, maybe Eastern Coastal NC isn't right for you.

Me, I had my fill of glittering night life and high priced city living and it was great for a while, but other values and pursuits call me now--and I'm content.

But your mileage may vary...this is not the area if you need a lot of pricey entertainment--it's more do-it-yourself with friends. But there's lots of great music and creative pursuits and meaningful work.

Maybe I'm easily amused, but I love it here. It's genuine. And big time theater, symphony and large art museums and all those great city attractions are only 3 hours down the road--not a "fur piece" at all.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:30 PM

Thanks so much for the replys...I was just reading a thread about the worst cities in NC and most people were saying that Eastern NC had a lot of poverty and were the least desirable areas. Does Eastern NC have alot of racial diversity or are there areas that are a majority of one race over another?

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Little Dolphin what you posted is what I was hoping for. I want someplace that is safe to raise kids, with good schools. Weekends spent going to the beach or picnics. We have a boat and love biking and walking on trails. I love the Americana feel of the South and historic homes. This is what I was hoping for in North Carolina. I do want some type of shopping and restaurants, but love little antique shops!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,871,489 times
More on Eastern coastal NC

For diversity, key in name of town on search function on City-Data or on Google and you'll get all the info you want--each town is so unique in their individual make-up, it's best to go town-by-town...some of the RE prices can be a bit dated, I've found that so for Beaufort...

There is poverty here, but also more helping hands reaching out in time of need, too, and I've found the folks living in the mobile homes just might turn out to be my local shrimper or barber or grocery store worker--filled with lots of pride and independence...

As far as shopping, I think you'll find all the big box stores you're used to either close by or in a neighboring town..with more going in all the time.

I try to support our neighbors and local economy by buying as much as possible from independent, locally-owned stores and businesses--the local hardware store, non-chain restaurants, antique stores, art galleries and clothing and shoe store--helps us all out...and those smaller places are what spice up the unique flavor of our small towns...I've nothing against chains but they're all the same from town-to-town and I don't personally know the owners...

No mistake, this is no Eden but Eastern NC is a breath of fresh air to me...

Well-paid employment can be hard to come by--pays to do your homework or bring needed skills with you. Or start a tourism related business or have health care skills...Offices of Economic Development can help there with what's needed...

Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 PM

116 posts, read 489,815 times
"After reading some posts about eastern NC being the worst place to live in NC..."

Simply put, I couldn't disagree with that assertion anymore. Coastal Carolina is beautiful and there are many wonderful communities along the coast. IMO, the hard part about moving here is choosing which community fits your needs best. And I have met some of the finest most decent people since moving to coastal NC over six years ago.

I hope you get the chance to come look in person. My guess is that you will be very pleasantly surprised.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina