U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 19,230 times

Advertisements

Does anybody live in Calabash, N.C.? I will be moving there in the summer of

08, and would appreciate any info. about surrounding locations etc..

Thanks!

Dolly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,361,370 times
question for you, are you retiring?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM

452 posts, read 2,128,509 times
Info about surrounding locations...

Well, I can tell you that it's right there by Sunset Beach, and that is my absolute favorite beach around here. Myrtle is loud and crowded, Ocean Isle is good but is eroding so it's not very wide (by wide I mean beach room from the ocean and back)....Sunset Beach is gorgeous and wide and flat, and you can walk to less crowded areas than the area right at the public parking. The people are nice, it's family friendly, and safe. If people would JUST stop littering the beach with their cigarettes. It would be perfect. And in the off season Sunset Beach is even quieter, very peaceful, and a lot of days you have a good stretch of beach to yourself with only a few other quiet folks out sitting or walking nearby. I love this....I would take my daughter to Sunset Beach in October when we first moved to Ocean Isle Beach- we are renting ON the canals on OIB, and I'd make special trips to Sunset just for the beach, the only public parking lot was sometimes pretty full but the beach was never too crowded at all.

Calabash is in a good location. It's up here away from the hubbub of Myrtle Beach yet it's a convenient drive down to Myrtle and all it has to offer, restaurants and outlet shopping....and then the other way, it's a convenient drive to Wilmington for the same.

Obviously the best thing I like about the immediate area of Calabash is how quiet it is and how Sunset Beach is right there. I like the seafood restaurants, too (although Calabash seafood is somewhat of a myth)..

Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,719 times
Smile Calabash

I do. I'll try to answer any questions you have.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 PM

22 posts, read 84,678 times
From my experience, it is a small and quiet town close enough to Myrtle for thrills and Sunset Beach for a nice relaxing beach.
We just moved to Leland last month and were looking at Calabash originally. After visiting and house hunting, we decided to go closer to Wilmington because we both need jobs. Calabash is just too far of a commute and there aren't too many good jobs from Myrtle to Shallotte.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 11,360 times
My husband, 7year old twins and I live in Calabash, NC What kinds of info are you looking for?
Moderator cut: removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfolkWdTNRQ View Post
Does anybody live in Calabash, N.C.? I will be moving there in the summer of

08, and would appreciate any info. about surrounding locations etc..

Thanks!

Dolly

Last edited by autumngal; 03-17-2008 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 AM

Do you know if there is a credit union in or near Calabash? I prefer them to banks.

I appreciate your answer.

Dolly

Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 AM

37,034 posts, read 16,141,015 times
Visited calabash 8 years ago. Bought property 6 months later. Mover here end on Jan '08. To this day everyone I have met has had same responce, "Wish I coulda, woulda moved here sooner".

I agree. I think tat says it all.

TQ

Old 08-24-2008, 06:04 PM

7 posts, read 20,025 times
Default Beacon Towne in Calabash

Beacon Towne is a Centex subdivision in Calabash. Centex appears to be cutting corners and, therefore, the quality of their houses, imo, has dicreased. Could anyone give me more information about this place, units, location, is it an active adult community, anything, please? How far is it from Sunset Beach? and, how far is it from Myrtle Beach? Any good or even decent restaurants in Calabash? Does Calabash get crowed during high seasons? Are there mainly residential homes with people living all year round or it is, instead, another vacation destination that becomes a "ghost town" once the peak seasons are over? Many thanks for your respenses.

PAS123

Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM

My daughter has been to Calabash twice in the past three momths and really loves it.

We are moving. there in October She and her husband found the people to be very

friendly and helpful. I am hoping to like it as much as I did, when I used to visit

Holden Beach back in the late 80's and early 90's. I am looking forward to better

weather-I'm tired of snow and sleet. I heard that all new residents must take a

driver's test within 6 mos. of their moving. If I hear anything more, I'll post it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina