U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 06:17 AM

98 posts, read 77,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Live in Greenville, you'll end up only going to the beach a few times a year even if you lived 10 minutes away.
Not sure why you'd say this. We moved in June (15 mins from wrightsville) and have already been to the beach 15 plus times. Both my daughters love it. 3 years from now it will be less "new", but we'll still enjoy going to the beach and swimming, surfing, fishing, and playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:49 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,435,590 times
Quote:
Live in Greenville, you'll end up only going to the beach a few times a year even if you lived 10 minutes away.
How could you possibly know how many times someone else will go to the beach?

Old 08-18-2016, 09:18 AM

33 posts, read 32,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun&sand View Post
What is it that you like about Greenville? Have you spent any length of time in either New Bern or Greenville? I know I'll have a better sense of what we are looking for when we get there but really appreciate local pov.
I think another thing to consider upon looking at areas to live would be where exactly your husband is working in Greenville. As I mentioned earlier you can get from the outskirts of New Bern to the outskirts of Greenville in a little over 30 mins if you know the quickest routes. However, if your husband is working at or near the hospital district (which is at the farthest west side of the city), an additional 20 mins could be added to the commute due to traffic.

Greenville traffic can be very congested during the busiest times. The city has experienced a lot of growth over the last 20-30 years but the way the city's main roads were originally laid out just were not designed to handle the amount of traffic that can come through during the busiest times of the day. Technically there is the 264 bypass around part of Greenville currently in place and work is currently in process to finish this bypass around the southern part at some point in the future. Work is also currently being done to improve the main road coming into Greenville from the western part of the state to access the college and downtown area (yes I will always refer to it as downtown and not the rebranded Uptown Greenville that is being pushed today).

There are some very very bad crime areas of Greenville to avoid and some of that crime spills over into the nicer areas as well. Since the OP is considering New Bern as a potential area to live, the same can be said about New Bern as there are some very bad areas in that city as well.

If I had to pick a spot around the Greenville area to live, I would look around the Winterville area or maybe the Farmville area as the safest and closest choices, but the only water access you would have is a very murky river to play in.

If proximity to water is one of your primary wishes, you are on the right track in looking towards New Bern as it is without question the closest larger city to Greenville with much more water activities than Greenville would ever be able to offer.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM

129 posts, read 107,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw55 View Post
Not sure why you'd say this. We moved in June (15 mins from wrightsville) and have already been to the beach 15 plus times. Both my daughters love it. 3 years from now it will be less "new", but we'll still enjoy going to the beach and swimming, surfing, fishing, and playing.
So wish our family could have this! We are hoping to leave Phx asap and move to Wilmington. If you don't mind me asking..did you or your spouse secure employment before moving? Any inside tips on who is hiring? Or how to get noticed with an out of state address on the resume? Thanks and enjoy the beach life

Old 08-19-2016, 07:12 AM

98 posts, read 77,659 times
I work from home so I moved to the area knowing my salary. My wife just graduated (msw) and only wants to work part time due to the kids, so she's having a little issue there. She just extended her search to Jacksonville and Leland and theres alot more options. The only way to get noticed is to spice up the resume, move and make friends with neighbors who have the connections and/or apply consistently to the comp you want to work for to get noticed. There is a job market, you just have to dig dig dig. Some jobs don't come up till you click into something else the company has listed on a website. Once your into their "personal" site there's usually a lot more listings.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:23 AM

33 posts, read 32,108 times
Quote:
I do understand the point this post is attempting to make. When you live at the beach or very near it, you don't actually go to the beach as much as you might think you would. Those of us who live on the beach and have jobs don't have the time during a normal week to just sit on the beach all day long. Most people who come to the beach for a vacation have the time to do that, because you are on vacation and don't have to go to work.

So even though my house is 2 blocks from the beach, I get down there usually once a week or so. I do however enjoy sitting outside on my deck every night enjoying the views of the sound which is directly across the street from my house, which I guess could still be considered enjoying the beach in a sense.

I disagree with the idea of just live in Greenville, which I assume this poster recommends this primarily for the convenience factor. I moved to the beach around 2 years ago after living very near Greenville for most of my life. There is no way that I would ever consider moving back to that area, and I'm sorry but I just don't recommend the city at all.

Live where you feel you will be the most happiest at. If that means your husband will have a longer commute and is fine with that aspect of the situation then go for it.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw55 View Post
I work from home so I moved to the area knowing my salary. My wife just graduated (msw) and only wants to work part time due to the kids, so she's having a little issue there. She just extended her search to Jacksonville and Leland and theres alot more options. The only way to get noticed is to spice up the resume, move and make friends with neighbors who have the connections and/or apply consistently to the comp you want to work for to get noticed. There is a job market, you just have to dig dig dig. Some jobs don't come up till you click into something else the company has listed on a website. Once your into their "personal" site there's usually a lot more listings.
Thank you for the info! I have noticed that the openings are listing within company sites rather than on Indeed, etc.

Unfortunately, we can't move until my hubby secures employment so it may be difficult for us to make friends and network locally in Wilmington if we are still in AZ

Old 08-19-2016, 03:33 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
Or how to get noticed with an out of state address on the resume?
Is there a chance the husband could sell pharmaceuticals? Or services related to pharmaceuticals? Wilmington has a couple of drug testing firms that hire statisticians and biologists. maybe they need someone to sell their services to drug manufacturers.

Otherwise, the husband ought to make a short video showing his best face-to-face presentations skills. E-mail to video along with his resume.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:46 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,417,510 times
Also, if "the river" would stand in for a lot of your beach fix, look into Washington, NC, east of Greenville (in NC known as "Little Washington" to avoid confusion with DC). It's a very wide, calm river and most "beach" activities can be done there, too. You can do Google, Wikipedia etc searches on Washington or some of those other towns directly east of Greenville, near water, and probably see pictures. Bath is another community (very historic) where people often have vacation homes similar to beach cottages.

Not that you aren't close enough to go to the actual coast plenty, but there are other "beach-like" areas closer to Greenville and even places you might consider living.

City-Data page on "Little Washington".

Old 08-19-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Is there a chance the husband could sell pharmaceuticals? Or services related to pharmaceuticals? Wilmington has a couple of drug testing firms that hire statisticians and biologists. maybe they need someone to sell their services to drug manufacturers.

Otherwise, the husband ought to make a short video showing his best face-to-face presentations skills. E-mail to video along with his resume.
Amazing idea, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or