U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 5,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
So wish our family could have this! We are hoping to leave Phx asap and move to Wilmington. If you don't mind me asking..did you or your spouse secure employment before moving? Any inside tips on who is hiring? Or how to get noticed with an out of state address on the resume? Thanks and enjoy the beach life
My husband will be working at the hospital in Greenville. We are anxiously waiting for a start date! His company is within the Carolina health system and we were actually hoping to be in Greensboro or Wilmington, but universe decided it's Greenville/New Bern for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIBeachBum View Post
I do understand the point this post is attempting to make. When you live at the beach or very near it, you don't actually go to the beach as much as you might think you would. Those of us who live on the beach and have jobs don't have the time during a normal week to just sit on the beach all day long. Most people who come to the beach for a vacation have the time to do that, because you are on vacation and don't have to go to work.

So even though my house is 2 blocks from the beach, I get down there usually once a week or so. I do however enjoy sitting outside on my deck every night enjoying the views of the sound which is directly across the street from my house, which I guess could still be considered enjoying the beach in a sense.

I disagree with the idea of just live in Greenville, which I assume this poster recommends this primarily for the convenience factor. I moved to the beach around 2 years ago after living very near Greenville for most of my life. There is no way that I would ever consider moving back to that area, and I'm sorry but I just don't recommend the city at all.

Live where you feel you will be the most happiest at. If that means your husband will have a longer commute and is fine with that aspect of the situation then go for it.
You mentioned there being bad/crime areas in new Bern. Where are those areas to avoid? I'm thinking we may want to be in town where we are walking distance to dining and marinas? We have three children in school so safety and convenience is priority.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:00 PM

11,251 posts, read 19,777,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun&sand View Post
You mentioned there being bad/crime areas in new Bern. Where are those areas to avoid? I'm thinking we may want to be in town where we are walking distance to dining and marinas? We have three children in school so safety and convenience is priority.
Please don't concentrate on areas to avoid, but think about areas where you children would have the best schools. I can't recommend downtown New Bern for families or the immediate low-income areas. If you were thinking of being in downtown New Bern and walking to marinas and dining, then those goals are not compatible with the kids having the best schools.

I have already mentioned that you should look at River Bend, Trent Woods and Brices Creek. These are safe suburban areas with water access and decent schools, but you are not going to able to walk to restaurants.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-19-2016 at 07:29 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Please don't concentrate on areas to avoid, but think about areas where you children would have the best schools. I can't recommend downtown New Bern for families or the immediate low-income areas. If you were thinking of being in downtown New Bern and walking to marinas and dining, then those goals are not compatible with the kids having the best schools.

I have already mentioned that you should look at River Bend, Trent Woods and Brices Creek. These are safe suburban areas with water access and decent schools, but you are not going to able to walk to restaurants.
Thank you! I don't remember if I saw that....overwhelming myself with info so I'm getting lost in all my research, lol! I will research those neighborhoods. Thank you so much.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:46 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,745,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIBeachBum View Post
The quickest route from Greenville to New Bern (Weyerhaeuser / Craven Community College area) is
HWY 11 towards Grifton
Turn left on Harrahan Rd (bypassing Grifton)
Turn right on Stokestown St Johns Road
Take very next left on Cannon Price Rd (which will end at a stop sign at 118)
Turn left onto HWY 118
Turn right onto Ange Road
Turn right onto River Road which will end in front of Weyerhaeuser.
Take a right onto 43/Weyerhaeuser road and you are in New Bern within a couple of miles.

It sounds like a lot of turns, and it is all backroads, but once off of HWY 11 there are no stoplights and not a ton of traffic most of the time. GPS will never show anyone this route. You can get to that side of New Bern from Pitt Community College in a little over 30 mins.

You can also use that same route (continue on 43 exit on 70 next exit to Hwy 17 bypass which will take you into Pollocksville) to get from Pitt Community College to the Emerald Isle Bridge in less than 90 minutes unless you hit beach traffic coming in.
That's the route where the big truck turned into us. A disadvantage of normally low traffic ... I guess he was not expecting us!

Old 08-22-2016, 12:23 PM

33 posts, read 32,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
That's the route where the big truck turned into us. A disadvantage of normally low traffic ... I guess he was not expecting us!
Possibly but if you avoid a quick route just because a truck pulled in front of you at one time, you may as well avoid all roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or